blackbeSSt
    blackbeSSt's Avatar Become A Pro!

guys, if the lappy can't find the hd running a restore disc serves no purpose. it won't magically find the hd and of course has nothing to restore.

spurginobili
    Llano Estacado
    spurginobili's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20505

I had this problem a few years ago. I can't remember exactly what I did, but I think I used the back-up disks that I made earlier to recover most of my info and settings. I still have the same hard-drive.

Just shows how invaluable a back-up is.

Bob Loblaw
    Bob Loblaw's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2081

I appreciate everyone's response but I've realized I'm a bigger moron than I thought and most of your posts make no sense to me. I'm just going to take it in in a few hours and try to get a temporary fix before I can get a new computer.

Bob Loblaw

On another note, are there any poker tourneys today? I don't want to have to download SBR poker on this computer to find out.

obamaismyuncle
    obamaismyuncle's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    On another note, are there any poker tourneys today? I don't want to have to download SBR poker on this computer to find out.
    yes 3, 6 and 9pm Central
    Points Awarded:

Bob Loblaw gave obamaismyuncle 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Bob Loblaw

Quote Originally Posted by obamaismyuncle View Post
    yes 3, 6 and 9pm Central
    Thanks. I downloaded and signed up. Although being at the same time as Cubs/Sox I might not play

KKoz9
    KKoz9's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 114

No offense, but with the admittedly limited extent of your computer literacy, no one on here will be able to post how to fix your pc.

Take it to a trusted local repair shop for a free diagnosis.

Bob Loblaw

Quote Originally Posted by KKoz9 View Post
    No offense, but with the admittedly limited extent of your computer literacy, no one on here will be able to post how to fix your pc.

Take it to a trusted local repair shop for a free diagnosis.
    post #38

I've realized this. Sometimes there's an easy fix that people can explain to me just like my last computer thread. This time no such luck.

Bob Loblaw

I took it in to get looked at. They saidit's either the hard drive or a virus and I paid $35 to get it looked at. They just called and told me the hard drive is toast. I have an 80 GB and the smallest they have is 160 GB. To put it in and set everything up they say $235. Does that number sound right or am I getting ripped off?

blackbeSSt

fukk $235. its 5 screws at most to take it out. you are the person the dork squad love to see. take a look here for a quick reference on removing the hd.

put the new one back in, pop in your restore disc and boot it up. there should be a "boot options" or something of that nature on startup (maybe f2 or f12). point it to the cd drive and you should be set

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4651

I took it in to get looked at. They saidit's either the hard drive or a virus and I paid $35 to get it looked at. They just called and told me the hard drive is toast. I have an 80 GB and the smallest they have is 160 GB. To put it in and set everything up they say $235. Does that number sound right or am I getting ripped off?
    Hard drive probably cost about 50 bucks, and the rest is probably their labor. Seems high, but I don't know what it cost to do a install and operating system setup, because I do that stuff myself.

You might of been better off looking into a New low end laptop. They usually go for about $350/$400.

excel
    unapproved
    excel's Avatar Become A Pro!

235$ is getting ripped as fuk

Bob Loblaw

I figured I was getting ripped

Should I just order this hard drive for $25 and find someone to put it in and I should be all set?

http://cgi.ebay.com/80GB-HARD-DRIVE-...item4156390327

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

I figured I was getting ripped

Should I just order this hard drive for $25 and find someone to put it in and I should be all set?

http://cgi.ebay.com/80GB-HARD-DRIVE-...item4156390327
    As long as you have a Windows Installation disc. To load the OS back on. Then go for it.

maersksealand
    maersksealand's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm sure you can find a video on youtube about how to change your hard drive

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...ard+drive&aq=f

you can also buy a cheap laptop for less then $300 those days http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Compaq+-...&skuId=1271897

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

Quote Originally Posted by maersksealand View Post
    you can also buy a cheap laptop for less then $300 those days http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Compaq+-...&skuId=1271897
    I got my son one with similar spec for Christmas, but a Toshiba, and it works fine for basic stuff for $299. Didn't know Bestbuy still had a deal on those type of laptops for under $300.

If you decide to pay them 235 to put in a new hard drive in a old laptop, really consider that link from Bestbuy.

Trident
    Update your status
    Trident's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2791

Spending 235.00 on a 7 year old computer is a waste of money when you can buy a decent new one for around 500.00.

Wulfman14
    The Great Khali
    Wulfman14's Avatar Become A Pro!

what a coincidence bob, last week you get that virus like i did falsely claiming your hard drive is failing and then a week later your hard drive actually does fail.

Wulfman14
    The Great Khali
    Wulfman14's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by blackbeSSt View Post
    fukk $235. its 5 screws at most to take it out. you are the person the dork squad love to see. take a look here for a quick reference on removing the hd.

put the new one back in, pop in your restore disc and boot it up. there should be a "boot options" or something of that nature on startup (maybe f2 or f12). point it to the cd drive and you should be set
    i think replacing the hard drive in a desktop is straight forward but a laptop is much more difficult is it not ?

BettingGeek
    SBR PRO
    BettingGeek's Avatar Become A Pro!

Buy a new laptop, Bob

excel
    unapproved
    excel's Avatar Become A Pro!

bobby that hd looks good, as long as it is for your model.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Bobby your a fukkin mess

I bet your hair is messy too and stuff all over your pad

Bobby I can help you

blackbeSSt

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfman14 View Post
    i think replacing the hard drive in a desktop is straight forward but a laptop is much more difficult is it not ?
    not at all. easier i think. once you pop the back off, most lappys have at most 4 screws holding the hd caddy in. very little cables as most have adapters that plug straight into the motherboard.

Glitch
    Glitch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

you should really google a repair shop.

lots of places do free diagnosis these days. lots.

(they'll look at it and tell you whats wrong and how/if it can be fixed- free of charge)

Bob Loblaw

Quote Originally Posted by onlooker View Post
    As long as you have a Windows Installation disc. To load the OS back on. Then go for it.
    I don't think I do. All I have is that recovery disk

Bob Loblaw

Quote Originally Posted by maersksealand View Post
    I'm sure you can find a video on youtube about how to change your hard drive

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...ard+drive&aq=f

Thanks. I'm definitely going to get a new one in the near future. Hoping for a cheap fix for the time being. I'll come back to this link when I'm ready to buy

Bob Loblaw

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Bobby your a fukkin mess

I bet your hair is messy too and stuff all over your pad

Bobby I can help you
    JJ, I buzz my head. My hair can't get messy

But I will welcome your help anyway

Bob Loblaw

Quote Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
    you should really google a repair shop.

lots of places do free diagnosis these days. lots.

(they'll look at it and tell you whats wrong and how/if it can be fixed- free of charge)
    already did it

except it wasn't free of charge

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

Find anyone locally that can help you install and setup software? Without paying outrageous fees?

Bob Loblaw

Quote Originally Posted by excel View Post
    bobby that hd looks good, as long as it is for your model.
    Cool. Don't know if it's for my model yet because the shop still has my computer but $25 makes me happy

Bob Loblaw

Quote Originally Posted by onlooker View Post
    Find anyone locally that can help you install and setup software? Without paying outrageous fees?
    My brother has replaced his hard drive before so I'll ask him to do mine but now I'm worried about this windows installation disk. How much is that gonna run me?

Housemoney
    Housemoney's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5020

Go to the Toshiba website and put in your model number and you should be able to download what you need. You could probably call them and they would ship you a CD.

blackbeSSt

Cool. Don't know if it's for my model yet because the shop still has my computer but $25 makes me happy
    well the good thing for you bob is that hard drives are not model specific. all you need to look for on the drive is either IDE or SATA. if i had to venture a guess you have and IDE drive (just the connection type so no worries about what it means!)

My brother has replaced his hard drive before so I'll ask him to do mine but now I'm worried about this windows installation disk. How much is that gonna run me?
    Quote Originally Posted by Housemoney View Post
    Go to the Toshiba website and put in your model number and you should be able to download what you need. You could probably call them and they would ship you a CD.
    doubt you'll get it for free from them. they are in the business of making money!

i had to buy some for a customer who's lappy i fixed and those were $35.

brad89
    brad89's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by blackbeSSt View Post
    well the good thing for you bob is that hard drives are not model specific. all you need to look for on the drive is either IDE or SATA. if i had to venture a guess you have and IDE drive (just the connection type so no worries about what it means!) doubt you'll get it for free from them. they are in the business of making money! i had to buy some for a customer who's lappy i fixed and those were $35.
    I looked up the specs yesterday and it was listed as SATA but then again it had a slightly higher capacity then what he says his is, so possibly different models.

Also, for laptops you must buy a 2.5" HDD.

thechaoz
    2019 SBRs Toughest Poster
    thechaoz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 35902

I'm so sick of windows. I've dealt with pcs for years and fixed tons of ppls computers. I think I might have to go MAC fanboy

First 123 Last