opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

Does anyone else find this whole "ghost" thing really bizarre?

Maybe it's because SBR was the first chit-chat room I ever made a post at, but am I the only one who doesn't get the whole multiple identities thing??

I'm always surprised when I find out so-and-so used to post under the username (?).....or whats-his-name posts across the street as "this guy?". Or especially the seemingly common theme of posters here having multiple identities. I also find it strange when a guy who's been a member here for years with very little activity, decides to all of a sudden become a PT fixture. Typically these guys poster m.o. does a complete 180, from laying low to complete obnoxiousness. This type of posting behavior just doesn't seem to make sense.

I was invited to check out another chit-chat room by an e-friend or two....and was shocked to see several people I recognized which go by other names. Is this an alter ego type of deal? Or to avoid scrutiny here or at other forums? The few posts I have made were done under the only username I have ever created. (considering I chose OPIE1988, you can tell I didn't spend a great deal of time creating a cool handle.)

Not judging here. Just curious as to the reasons for this practice. Clearly we are all nerds, there's very little with which that can be disputed....just looking to clear this situation up a bit.

As always....much love, brothers.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

arnoldrothstein
    arnoldrothstein's Avatar Become A Pro!

Opie... Word up!

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Welcome to the internet.

WeinketoWarrick
    Update your status
    WeinketoWarrick's Avatar Become A Pro!

Some do it for stiffing purposes.

MendozaLine
    MendozaLine's Avatar Become A Pro!

no one wants to buy picks from a loser right?

when your picks thread fails, just create another name and try again.

MichaelWaters
    MichaelWaters's Avatar Become A Pro!

all you have is e-friends

Mikail
    Fader of GOY'S
    Mikail's Avatar Become A Pro!

losers with too much time on their hands is all.

MichaelWaters

Quote Originally Posted by Mikail View Post
    losers with too much time on their hands is all.
    you havent even been here 2 years and you have over 12,000 posts. get out much

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

No idea

I am too busy to try and make up new names

Mikail
    Fader of GOY'S

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelWaters View Post
    so who's the douche in your avatar?

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 420

Hell, I have a hard enough time just trying to be me.

nosniboR11
    fu
    nosniboR11's Avatar Become A Pro!

they get banned create another identity and go right back to attacking sometimes ,

have a great night opie

zam77
    zam77's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 687

Opie... isn't it crazy to think this time last year, you never even put one ounce of thought into something like this? It's seriously mind boggling and continually hard for me to fathom how certain peoples lives revolve around the internet... I seriously had no idea it was this extensive and still have a hard time grasping it. I mean if you think about it, as this internet thing grows further into humanity, many people will eventually be on their death beds at home or in hospitals with a laptop, finding comfort in saying their final words to e-friends. Scary thought, but it's not that far fetched considering how addictive this becomes once you start doing it.

Ghosting... haahaa... hell I used to think ghosts were something else all together.

MichaelWaters

Quote Originally Posted by Mikail View Post
    so who's the douche in your avatar?
    mikail is a cool name

opie1988

Quote Originally Posted by zam77 View Post
    Opie... isn't it crazy to think this time last year, you never even put one ounce of thought into something like this? Scary thought, but it's not that far fetched considering how addictive this becomes once you start doing it.
    Ghosting... haahaa... hell I used to think ghosts were something else all together.

Amen to that, Zammer.

I feel like the guy in high school that always made fun of the band geeks........until he realized he had a knack for playing the Tuba.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

Housemoney
    Housemoney's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5020

I think the betpoints increased the ghosting. It is the only source of income for some here, so it makes sense to try and double your pay.

Ra77er
    Ra77er's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm shocked that Opie put this much thought into people who "ghost". I certainly applaud your efforts sir and I guess it makes sense if your only internet or "geek" experience is on these forums. It's a sad practice that has been going on since the invention of the information superhighway.

stogies
    unfairly banned
    stogies's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 261

mikail is a cool name
    he posts as ali salim mohammed at suicidebomberwannabe.com.

obamaismyuncle
    obamaismyuncle's Avatar Become A Pro!

this is 100% PatriciaBateman shinning through here boys, the angry little boy in his posts shines right thru

babyjesus
    Up with hope, Down with dope
    babyjesus's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 115

they probably got banned using a specific name. or they've destroyed their "e-name" and need to create a new identity to insure they have e-friends.

opie1988

Quote Originally Posted by Ra77er View Post
    I'm shocked that Opie put this much thought into people who "ghost". I certainly applaud your efforts sir and I guess it makes sense if your only internet or "geek" experience is on these forums. It's a sad practice that has been going on since the invention of the information superhighway.
    I didn't put a lot of thought into it, its simply that I had never even heard of the whole "ghost" concept. More than anything, its probably me being naive. I'm just shocked whenever I find someone that I kind of thought I knew on here is actually not that guy at all.

I realize its the internet, but I am opie1988. I post the exact way I feel and act in real life, even when joking around on here. Not saying other ways are right & wrong, just wondering if I'm the only one who was confused by this.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

nosniboR11
    fu
    nosniboR11's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by opie1988 View Post
    I didn't put a lot of thought into it, its simply that I had never even heard of the whole "ghost" concept. More than anything, its probably me being naive. I'm just shocked whenever I find someone that I kind of thought I knew on here is actually not that guy at all. I realize its the internet, but I am opie1988. I post the exact way I feel and act in real life, even when joking around on here. Not saying other ways are right & wrong, just wondering if I'm the only one who was confused by this.

have a good day

Ra77er
    Ra77er's Avatar Become A Pro!

I didn't put a lot of thought into it, its simply that I had never even heard of the whole "ghost" concept. More than anything, its probably me being naive. I'm just shocked whenever I find someone that I kind of thought I knew on here is actually not that guy at all.

I realize its the internet, but I am opie1988. I post the exact way I feel and act in real life, even when joking around on here. Not saying other ways are right & wrong, just wondering if I'm the only one who was confused by this.

Yea I agree that your being naive about it. Its pathetic that people do this but its a very common practice. Unfortunately everyone out there isn't as straight up as you are and actually have nothing to hide or any reason to "ghost". betpoints aside, its a gambling community and ego's are prized possessions that people will do anything to keep intact or inflated.

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

I'm not smart enough to have a ghost.....I barely have the brains to keep this train on the tracks

spankie
    Long Live Rodney!
    spankie's Avatar Become A Pro!

squares gonna square.

ghosts gonna ghost.

William Walters
    William Walters's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Quote Originally Posted by stogies View Post
    he posts as ali salim mohammed at suicidebomberwannabe.com.

William Walters
    William Walters's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

There is also a backlash on new posters due to the practice of "ghosting". If a guy signs up to SBR......starts posting with regularity.......brings some good A-game with him.........automatically he's called a "ghost" and fellow posters begin trying to figure out "which poster he really is".

For example, when "Spankie" showed up a few months back and started killing it he was called a "ghost". This new poster "Tech N9ne" that signed up a week ago and is getting some good "run" has been called a "ghost". Now, obviously, some new posters are "ghosts", but lets give guys a chance before we start throwing accusations around.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 392

I have been listening to this for years and still haven't a clue about it and why one might do it? Spend all that time to create another personality? What? They have got to be a bit fvcked up? No!

hugh_morris
    hugh_morris's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 976

Maybe it's because SBR was the first chit-chat room I ever made a post at, but am I the only one who doesn't get the whole multiple identities thing??

I'm always surprised when I find out so-and-so used to post under the username (?).....or whats-his-name posts across the street as "this guy?". Or especially the seemingly common theme of posters here having multiple identities. I also find it strange when a guy who's been a member here for years with very little activity, decides to all of a sudden become a PT fixture. Typically these guys poster m.o. does a complete 180, from laying low to complete obnoxiousness. This type of posting behavior just doesn't seem to make sense.

I was invited to check out another chit-chat room by an e-friend or two....and was shocked to see several people I recognized which go by other names. Is this an alter ego type of deal? Or to avoid scrutiny here or at other forums? The few posts I have made were done under the only username I have ever created. (considering I chose OPIE1988, you can tell I didn't spend a great deal of time creating a cool handle.)

Not judging here. Just curious as to the reasons for this practice. Clearly we are all nerds, there's very little with which that can be disputed....just looking to clear this situation up a bit.

As always....much love, brothers.
    Opie...quick question for ya...after reading your thread..how did you come up with that name Opie?...Was it a nickname after Opie Taylor...early Ron Howard...seeing you in some of those video's...there is definately some Opie Taylor mannerisms rollin' along...on the right track?...

flyingillini
    flyingillini's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2187

I never understood it either. I have no interest in making another posting name. I just don't see the point and I don't have the time or interest to make another name.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Well Opie half the people who posted in your thread are or have ghosts. Now you know the answer.

joesomebody114
    This industry is f*kked
    joesomebody114's Avatar Become A Pro!

Remember when this used to be a gambling forum?

jetsjets1028
    jetsjets1028's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1363

theres no real ghosts

Mikail
    Fader of GOY'S

Quote Originally Posted by flyingillini View Post
    I never understood it either. I have no interest in making another posting name. I just don't see the point and I don't have the time or interest to make another name.
    Not buying it and you shouldn't be selling it.

opie1988

Quote Originally Posted by hugh_morris View Post
    Opie...quick question for ya...after reading your thread..how did you come up with that name Opie?...Was it a nickname after Opie Taylor...early Ron Howard...seeing you in some of those video's...there is definately some Opie Taylor mannerisms rollin' along...on the right track?...

No, although I always enjoyed Andy Griffith!

Opie was the name of my black lab. He was my hunting buddy and closest companion for 14 years until he passed
    away last summer.

I joined up on SBR last September, so I just used his name to kind of remember him by. Apparently, the name Opie was already taken, so I added the year of my high school graduation just to get it accepted with SBR.

Like I said, had no intention of ever sticking around and spending time on this chit-chat room.

Almost 4k posts later.....

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

12 Last