borednaz
    Swing Piggy Swing!
    borednaz's Avatar Become A Pro!

Rod, Enlighten me on Tea.

I hate the stuff, read your post decided to retry tea. Started out with SOBE White Peach OOLONG TEA. A bit to much sugar 22g, 90 calories only slightly less than a coke/dr pepper etc. My biggest problem is tea always tastes watered down, I want full flavor.

That's why I don't drink expressos & sissy latte's. Do you have any recommendations?
    We just got this new shop at the pretentious Upscale Mall in the foothills http://www.teavana.com their samples tasted decent but I'm not ready to make the jump into brew your own/tea kettle/ limp wristed crap.

I'am serious about giving this stuff a try, I recently stopped drinking coffee and soda been about over a month. But just water is getting boring. A little help would be appreciated.

jarvol
    jarvol's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3670

When did brewing beverages become "limp wristed crap?" Buy some loose tea and boil some water. It ain't hard.

borednaz
    Swing Piggy Swing!

Let's put it this way Jarvol, the way I grew up the only people brewing Teas were women for Tea parties. You did not see men brewing Tea. I understand that is not the case once I went out into the real world but it still hits my mind subconsciously. I reread my post above & saw a lot of stereotypes in it that I never intended to put.

borednaz
    Swing Piggy Swing!

Also I'd like to put that I know how to make Tea. What I'm looking for is suggestions on types that might be strong so I won't get that watered down taste I despise. Maybe even store bought ones I can try to figure out what I like. There are not many Tea choices around where I live other than Multinational crap like Liptons/Tazo/ and of course Arizona Tea. The biggest problem with those is they are over powered with sugar.

babyjesus
    Up with hope, Down with dope
    babyjesus's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 115

drink matte. that shit is awesome

borednaz
    Swing Piggy Swing!

matte? Any more info on that?

Roadtrip635
    Roadtrip635's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21078

Hey bud, there's a great place in Austin called Anderson's that has excellent coffees and teas and you can order online.
    http://www.andersonscoffee.com/still_life.html

I haven't tried their teas but their coffee is top notch, they're very picky about the beans they use and roast all their own coffee beans. If I can't make it up to Austin, I usually just order online. I have some of Anderson's Ethiopian and a little Arabian Mocha left. Good stuff!

Check 'em out, if you have questions just call them up, they're always real friendly there.

babyjesus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mate_(beverage)

It's an Argentinian tea. Has some amazing properties. Gives you that alert, but not jittery feeling you get from coffee. You can buy it online or in organic supermarkets. It's drank in a gourd, loose leaf style. I drink it every day.

rem sleep
    rem sleep's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18831

The problem is that its the summer time and people don't drink as much hot tea during the hot summer. Thats where Ice tea come in but they pack that stuff full of sugar.

I drink alot of green tea during the fall/winter but haven't had any this summer at all.

stikymess
    stikymess's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 63

Quote Originally Posted by borednaz View Post
    I hate the stuff, read your post decided to retry tea. Started out with SOBE White Peach OOLONG TEA. A bit to much sugar 22g, 90 calories only slightly less than a coke/dr pepper etc. My biggest problem is tea always tastes watered down, I want full flavor. That's why I don't drink expressos & sissy latte's. Do you have any recommendations? We just got this new shop at the pretentious Upscale Mall in the foothills http://www.teavana.com their samples tasted decent but I'm not ready to make the jump into brew your own/tea kettle/ limp wristed crap. I'am serious about giving this stuff a try, I recently stopped drinking coffee and soda been about over a month. But just water is getting boring. A little help would be appreciated.
    Valid point about the processed teas, too much sugar with only a trace of tea.

I gave up soda and the like as well, went to water, Safeway has those flavored waters, you may have to go through everyone to find one you like, but doing it for me for now.

mike-dub
    mike-dub's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 530

if you can find it, try Korean snow-dew tea. its naturally sweet so no need to add sugar. not even close to the bland taste that other kinds of teas have.and it tastes just as good cold as it does hot. i also like yerba matte

borednaz
    Swing Piggy Swing!

I will begin the hunt for Snow-dew tea & some matte. Maybe one of the local herbal shops or farmer market places might have some.

borednaz
    Swing Piggy Swing!

Quote Originally Posted by stikymess View Post
    Valid point about the processed teas, too much sugar with only a trace of tea.

I gave up soda and the like as well, went to water, Safeway has those flavored waters, you may have to go through everyone to find one you like, but doing it for me for now.
    I'm actually with you Stikymess, I'm not five, so I don't need a ton of sugar. I tried some of Safeway's flavored water, I found black cherry to be ok.

stikymess
    stikymess's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 63

I will begin the hunt for Snow-dew tea & some matte. Maybe one of the local herbal shops or farmer market places might have some.
    Maybe an Asian market, I know there is/was one in Mesa, maybe A.J's or Sprouts.

borednaz
    Swing Piggy Swing!

Quote Originally Posted by babyjesus View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mate_(beverage)

It's an Argentinian tea. Has some amazing properties. Gives you that alert, but not jittery feeling you get from coffee. You can buy it online or in organic supermarkets. It's drank in a gourd, loose leaf style. I drink it every day.
    The thing is I feel great without the sugar/caffeine surprisingly I feel more awake & alert without the stuff. It's been a real eye opener to say the least. I started drinking the stuff because I don't like bland/watery drinks not for the alertness. But soon I found I was drinking it to function much less stay awake.

Bad stuff you never realize about your body until much to late.

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

For stuff you can find at natural kind of grocery stores go with Tea's Tea(no sugar and strong) or Inko's(has ok sugar). The honeydew Inko's is excellent. Was given an ice tea set from Teavana. Takes about 15 minutes to make a pitcher. The tea they sell is good, but can be spendy.

babyjesus

The thing is I feel great without the sugar/caffeine surprisingly I feel more awake & alert without the stuff. It's been a real eye opener to say the least. I started drinking the stuff because I don't like bland/watery drinks not for the alertness. But soon I found I was drinking it to function much less stay awake.

Bad stuff you never realize about your body until much to late.
    True true. Tea no matter if its caffeinated or not is better than drinking sugary drinks like sodas and juices. Sadly I'm not the same without my morning pot of mate. But hey, don't we all have vices. Best of luck. Let me know what you think about mate.

borednaz
    Swing Piggy Swing!

Grits N' Gravy,
    yeah I do like the tea they sell. Like I said they are in the upscale outdoor mall here. It's the kind of thing you'd expect at a place like this. Decent quality but huge mark up just for the people to feel like they are getting something elite. I'll give Tea's Tea a shot. Thank you for taking the time to write about this. I know it's not gambling but I really want to get healthier.

borednaz
    Swing Piggy Swing!

BabyJesus,
    I get where your coming from. I let myself go so bad that when I wake up I literally have to "revive" myself to get started. I multivitamin then I drink a full bottle of water. I have to wait about 5 minutes before I can function enough to go get breakfast, shower etc.

Age has a funny way of catching up to us when we abuse our youth & bodies.

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

Grits N' Gravy,
    yeah I do like the tea they sell. Like I said they are in the upscale outdoor mall here. It's the kind of thing you'd expect at a place like this. Decent quality but huge mark up just for the people to feel like they are getting something elite. I'll give Tea's Tea a shot. Thank you for taking the time to write about this. I know it's not gambling but I really want to get healthier.
    Steal the shit. I buy a tin and pocket 3 or 4. The Tea's tea isn't cheap either, but it is pure, flavorful and 0 calories.

borednaz
    Swing Piggy Swing!

Quote Originally Posted by Grits n' Gravy View Post
    Steal the shit. I buy a tin and pocket 3 or 4. The Tea's tea isn't cheap either, but it is pure, flavorful and 0 calories.
    The store is way to small, besides I don't want to take my brother anywhere much less to a nice mall. (Always used him as an unknowing mule when I was a lot younger). But I have respect for your skill level if you can pull off 3 or 4.