King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO
    King Mayan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3679

Quote Originally Posted by azimm11 View Post
    Kings have to be front runners for the cup next year before the season opens up..Richards, Kopitar, and Dustin Brown up the middle. Doughty and Johnson the core of the back end..and Quick can steal games between the pipes. YIKES

goobretty
    goobretty's Avatar Become A Pro!

Don't forget the rising star Bernier, could be his breakout year. Could be some scary-good play coming out of LA this upcoming year.

stevek173
    stevek173's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5958

They are from what I hear

DennisGreen
    Update your status
    DennisGreen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1527

Quote Originally Posted by cecil127 View Post
    i told a guy this morning i was giving an estimate on a roof, "nice flyers licence plate-i hope they dump richards and carter"...no chit.
    ima go play the ponies now.....and the lotto

Metalhead
    Metalhead's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 243

I think the return on the trades to Philly is good, especially if Schenn pans out.

To trade Richards and Carter, so they can sign a 31 year old goalie to a 9 year deal though?

818z_finest
    818z_finest's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4846

schenn is suposed to be the next big think according to gretzky... lets see how everything pans out

the_situation
    the_situation's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6309

Carter return wasn't bad

Flyers got bent over on Richards return

Heard both got moved cuz of locker room problems..trading both wouldn't make sense otherwise

Kings r gonna be sick next year. Richards is an elite 2 way player. They lose a good 3rd liner in Simmonds and a prospect that has proved nothing yet in Schenn.

Inkwell77
    Inkwell77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2413

Crazy!
    They still have crazy offensive talent. It'll be interesting to see if they can get some defensive help through the draft/free agency. Flyers might not even make the playoffs next year, the East is going to be tough.
    Boston, Washington, Pittsburgh, Montreal, Tampa Bay, New Jersey, Buffalo, Rangers. Quality teams.

joe blow
    joe blow's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 99

Looks like a one sided trade to me...

Podes
    Podes's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

Quote Originally Posted by samgurt View Post
    wow flyers are screwed this year. why would they trade their 2 best players?
    Youve determined Carter and Richards were their best players?? how many Flyers games did you see this year?

Carter was gonna be the chief piece in a trade for Bryz or any other goalie they wanted anyway so thats no biggie. Yeah its a surprise to trade Richards but I guarantee you they know more about the expected future of the hip injury than we do. Hes an excellent leader but a REALLY bad playoffs can sour you fast.

the total return-- you get back a player off LAs roster with potential that is versatile and one of the Kings better playoff players plus an elite prospect in Schenn. You then add the 8th overall pick when you didnt have a pick in round 1 or i believe 2 either and it gets better. Voracek has potential to be a sniper as well and is one of those players that needs pushed. A buy low type of move.

All in all the deals should benefit long term and Im pleased

blittydeuce
    blittydeuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1758

How much money will they make on jersey sales?? Over half the fans had either Richards or Carter jerseys.

Time to go buy a Giroux etc.....

Marigold HD
    Marigold HD's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47737

Carter and Richards both had long term contracts as well. This will free up more money for defense.

buzzer
    buzzer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1214

still in shock this morning.

LUCKYCHUCK
    LUCKYCHUCK's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 29057

that is the price you have to pay when you sign a goalie to big numbers

pinchylarue
    *** SBR'S WORST POKER PLAYER ***
    pinchylarue's Avatar Become A Pro!

worst trades of the last 5 years

slapster33
    slapster33's Avatar Become A Pro!

he won't help them anyway philly sucks

dbnmln
    dbnmln's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by pinchylarue View Post
    Really?!? I need more coffee to understand your thinking pattern this morning.

thompsontw
    Update your status
    thompsontw's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1653

I'm still in shock. I don't know what they are getting but I know what they are giving up.
    Two Captains.
    They really blew up this team. It will be not like it was before.

THE_LOCKSMITH
    THE_LOCKSMITH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5218

what a shitty deal for Carter, just signed an 11 year extension and they trade him before the no-trade kicks in for 2012. If he waited to free agency he could have picked his team, now he's stuck in Columbus

slapshot
    slapshot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23617

the messy goalie situation in philly made them totally crazy....you know what have (proven quality in their primes) but not what you'll get (draft picks and young unproven players).....congrats boston, washington pens!

philswin
    philswin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4640

I guess Columbus and LA didnt think they could add a player through free agency, both teams gave up a lot when you can go out and sign a player like Brad Richards in free agency and not give up your young players. Schenn was #1 prospect in all of Hockey according to some websites. Flyers are bascially signing 2 unrestricted free agents in Lieno and Bryzgalov and trading 2 players to free up the cap space and adding 2 young players with huge upsides and another solid player as well as adding the #8 pick in the draft.

bruceBRUCEbruce
    bruceBRUCEbruce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1959

Quote Originally Posted by the_situation View Post
    Flyers got bent over on Richards return

Heard both got moved cuz of locker room problems..trading both wouldn't make sense otherwise
    the extent of Richards' off ice problems is not widely known yet-and you'd be shocked if you knew.

if Schenn turns out to be as good as advertised, the Kings may have gotten fleeced on this one...

azimm11
    azimm11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1757

Quote Originally Posted by pinchylarue View Post
    I can think of two trades off the top of my head where teams got screwed a lot worse than Philly..

DennisGreen
    Update your status
    DennisGreen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1527

Quote Originally Posted by THE_LOCKSMITH View Post
    what a shitty deal for Carter, just signed an 11 year extension and they trade him before the no-trade kicks in for 2012. If he waited to free agency he could have picked his team, now he's stuck in Columbus
    That's unreal. Carter must be on such tilt

stevek173

Quote Originally Posted by bruceBRUCEbruce View Post
    the extent of Richards' off ice problems is not widely known yet-and you'd be shocked if you knew.

if Schenn turns out to be as good as advertised, the Kings may have gotten fleeced on this one...
    Can you elaborate on this? I would like to hear. I do know he had been arguing with the local reporters and that there was a calling for him to not be captain.

I am sooooooooooooo upset about losing Richie. Carter I accepted before the offseason began. Richie though. FOK.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7624

The flyers are an impatient organization but they are a good one. They keep finding ways to keep there teams competitive.

stevek173

I hear Richie and Pronger didn't get along and had issues with each other to the point where one had to go. Guess we know which one they picked.

t-wizzle
    t-wizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2191

Quote Originally Posted by stevek173 View Post
    I hear Richie and Pronger didn't get along and had issues with each other to the point where one had to go. Guess we know which one they picked.
    They chose Giroux and Van Riemsdyk.

sanchez
    sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by ryanjep View Post
    wasnt shocked to hear about carter but the richards deal i dont think anyone really saw coming
    my thoughts exactly

philliesfinest
    philliesfinest's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 15620

flyers have not done it with these players so why not break em up,maybe the nucks should try this also whata think dg????????????????

phxcoyotes
    phxcoyotes's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

hope philly has fun with bryz

MTek
    MTek's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2860

Interesting to read the comments from out of town folks....Im a lifer Flyers fan too, old enough to remember their last cup win, and here's how we see it
    Carter has become the LeBron James of the flyers, he disappears during the playoffs and that's only WHEN he is available. The last 2 seasons the flyers had over 30 playoff games and Carter played in less then half of them
    Richards was not ready to be captain, he was forced into an awkward position and he didn't have command of the locker room. In fact after playoff lossses Mike Richards refused to speak to the media, what other captain on the NHL refuses to speak with the media?
    Both players were brought up through the John Steven regime and John was fired a year and a half ago...ironically he's now an assistant in LA and is re-united with his boy.
    Laviolette was not impressed with either one, and the fact is, the up and coming stars are now Claude Gerioux and James Van Reisdyke.
    Both Richards and Carter also had a party boy/Bachelor lifestyle and management thought they didn't put enough effort into applying their trade as they did partying.
    Goaltending WAS needed, the goaltending carousel in last years playoffs was the biggest joke in the NHL and the flyers management realized it, also, our farm system is weak at best, and this was an intentional effort to plant some seeds that will come to fluition. These moves solve alot of issues on this team.

As far as a weak defense...being "out of it" for 2 years and all the other silly comments on here...let's face it Boston was the 3rd seed this year and won the cup. The Capitals are the most talented, most loaded team every year and can't get out of the 2nd round, the Flyers have as good a chance now, as they did before, and the future looks brighter now because Carter and Richards, although being good players were not Gretzky and Messier and we seem to have gotten some good young prospects out of this deal plus a certified #1 goalie.

I doubt the wheeling and dealing is done, the flyers will add another veteran scorer. The rumor today is Steven Stamkos....so stay tuned

MTek

Quote Originally Posted by stevek173 View Post
    Can you elaborate on this? I would like to hear. I do know he had been arguing with the local reporters and that there was a calling for him to not be captain.

I am sooooooooooooo upset about losing Richie. Carter I accepted before the offseason began. Richie though. FOK.
    Rumor on the local sports radio/media scene is Richards was partying a bit too hard....when you hear the words "binge" in the same sentence as "partying" and "nightlife" .. is a good indication that thing aren't going well

MTek

Quote Originally Posted by slapster33 View Post
    he won't help them anyway philly sucks
    And who's been consistently better?
    Boston after the crash of a 3-0 lead in the 2010 playoffs when the flyers went to the finals?
    Chicago...who made the playoffs on the last night of the season, despite losing a game they needed to win, back doored their way into the 8th seed and didnt make it out of the 1st round
    Vancouver who finished with the most points and failed to win a cup?

Who's in the running year after year challenging for the cup? Very, Very few teams and most of those are in the West... Philly doesn't suck, your hockey knowledge sucks

stevek173

Really enjoyed your take MTek good stuff man.

Richie and Carter were both known for the night life. The more I think about it as much as the Richie trade hurts (Carter was expected) both trades make sense for many reasons. This Stamkos thing has a shot looks like, interesting.

The Kings have to be up there as far as contenders.

First 12345 ... Last