bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

New Orleans to host 2008 NBA All-Star Game

this move sure does make it harder for the owner to pack up and move to oklahoma city.

NEW YORK (AP) -New Orleans will host the 2008 NBA All-Star Game, the league announced Monday, providing a boost to a beleaguered city still recovering from the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

``The award of NBA All-Star 2008 is our vote of confidence in the progress that is being made in the reopening and rebuilding of New Orleans' tourism infrastructure,'' commissioner David Stern said in a statement. ``New Orleans will become the basketball capital of the world in February 2008, and demonstrate to a global audience that New Orleans is very much open for business.''

The game will be played at New Orleans Arena on Feb. 17, 2008. There will also be a week of events leading up to the game, including the skills competitions the night before the game.

The New Orleans Hornets played their home games in Oklahoma City this season because of the devastation caused by Hurricane Katrina. The team returned to New Orleans to play three games, selling out two of them.

The Hornets are scheduled to play 35 games in Oklahoma City next season and six in New Orleans.

``The timing of this announcement is perfect,'' Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco said. ``We've had great crowds for our major events since Hurricane Katrina: the Hornets' three games in New Orleans Arena, Mardi Gras, the Zurich Golf Classic and JazzFest. And now we can look forward to the 2008 NBA All-Star Game. What better way to say we're coming back.''

JoshW
    JoshW's Avatar Become A Pro!

LMAO, so true. But really, is allstar kind of town. Even if they moved would still be good venue.

kalmikrazy
    kalmikrazy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 283

I was kinda bummed by this news as well, but it might not mean that they will go back to NO for sure. Cause isnt Vegas hosting an all star game next year as well?

The Great One
    The Great One's Avatar Become A Pro!

Ahhh, everyone feel sorry for new Orleans.

The only good thing to ever come from that dump is the Manning family.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

i'm just wondering if they will have the city rebuilt by then.

Uncle Joe
    Uncle Joe's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One
    Ahhh, everyone feel sorry for new Orleans.

The only good thing to ever come from that dump is the Manning family.
    Why dont you post your address so the next time New Orleans is under several foot of water we can all come stay with you. This is a good deal for the city of New Orleans and the state. I am happy to see it cause it shows there is a future in this area.

BuddyBear
    Update your status
    BuddyBear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

Good to hear...i am happy for the city. I've been to NO once...it is a fantastic place and I hope as soon as things get back to normal to make some visits....

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Great news for sure. I would love to see the super bowl back there one of these days.

CanuckG
    CanuckG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 584

Bonjour

Cougar Bait
    2010 Poster of the Year
    Cougar Bait's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3289

What the hell is this crap?
    Last edited by Illusion; 01-12-11 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Removed Spam from Quote

saints7011
    saints7011's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1898

yeah , I saw this the other day , but from what they're saying , all sides wll come to an agreement...
    Last edited by Illusion; 01-12-11 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Removed Spam from Quote