saints7011
    saints7011's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1898

Is It Possible To Make BIG Money Collecting Cans...

I mean , if I went around to all the bars after closing...

could I make BIG money dumpster diving for cans...

dulas

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Bars have big recycle bins at the back. So if you try to collect them you will be stealing them. Also 99% of the bars I know serve beer in bottles..not cans.

Deuce
    Eddie Mush
    Deuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3519

Bottles/Cans/Kegs all profitable.

Depends where you live. In Michigan you get 10 cents per can/bottle or $70 a keg on deposits. Many bars recycle their own though because when the bar purchases them, they are taxed the deposit at of course 10 cents per can/bottle. Best places to go are golf courses, every hole the garbage is full of beer cans. Concert parking lots, college tailgates, etc. are also gold mines.

saints7011

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    Bars have big recycle bins at the back. So if you try to collect them you will be stealing them. Also 99% of the bars I know serve beer in bottles..not cans.
    I thought about that...

I would hit the small honky tonks...

where they serve the 1 buck busch/busch lite in a can...

will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!
    will2survive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

Nothing wrong with returning cans for 5 cents. It's money, isn't it. If you returned other people's cans I would take gas used into account and wear rubber gloves and bring sanitizer. Pick areas like baseball fields, places where people are spending money and don't give a hoot about 5 cents. Good luck-

Boner_18
    Update your status
    Boner_18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1031

I've thought about this is NYC luxury high rise buildings. I know we don't take in our bottle for the deposit and we are 1 of 10 apartments on the floor... There are 51 floors.

If every apartment puts out 12 deposits a week that is 6120 deposits or $306. Collect 5 similar buildings worth and you are talking 80k/year.

Legions36
    Legions36's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7744

I see people doing it all the time 20 cans equal $1 so u figure each bar has a few hundred in each bag $5-$15. Throw the bags in the truck and i think u got some extra funds.

EDDIE MONEY LINE
    Get duckets
    EDDIE MONEY LINE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3311

I read a book (Grand Central Winter) by Lee Stringer, where he actually made nearly $100/ daily to support crack habits and other living expense...he did live in grand central station until he got his life back on track and became a writer tho...but I thought this was awfully resourceful for a derelict.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Quote Originally Posted by Legions36 View Post
    I see people doing it all the time 20 cans equal $1 so u figure each bar has a few hundred in each bag $5-$15. Throw the bags in the truck and i think u got some extra funds.
    Lets assume the closest recycle facility which will buy your cans is 10 miles away and you have to drive to at least 4-5 bars from your house to collect enough cans to fill your truck. You are looking at driving 40-60 miles just to collect the cans. This is easily 3-4 gallons of gas for a truck or $12-$16 dollars. How much do you think you will make after selling all cans and paying for gas?

Fishhead
    Fishhead's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11769

Finally someone thinking outside the box...............

l7ustin
    l7ustin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2724

your down a dollar pavy.

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

Sure. The homeless that already do this are ballin.

ssabmud

saints7011

Lets assume the closest recycle facility which will buy your cans is 10 miles away and you have to drive to at least 4-5 bars from your house to collect enough cans to fill your truck. You are looking at driving 40-60 miles just to collect the cans. This is easily 3-4 gallons of gas for a truck or $12-$16 dollars. How much do you think you will make after selling all cans and paying for gas?
    dude said EACH bag is worth $5-$15 bucks , so if you have 10 bags @ 10 bucks each , you've made a little money , you have not lost anything as someone else stated...

dulas

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

just collect water bottles, at 5c a bottle, you can make big money in, say, 50years worth of time, lol

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24866

Saints, you still trying to get your wife's paycheck back...

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids

Quote Originally Posted by saints7011 View Post
    dude said EACH bag is worth $5-$15 bucks , so if you have 10 bags @ 10 bucks each , you've made a little money , you have not lost anything as someone else stated...

dulas
    Except what little pride and dignity you had left. What are you 12 years old? Collecting cans to buy hot wings and toilet paper. Get the f outta here. Get a rickshaw and your girl and you can run people all over town for loot. She's got them Secreteriat teeth.

ssabmud

Thunder Gulch
    Thunder Gulch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

A thread about picking up trash.....

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Quote Originally Posted by saints7011 View Post

dulas
    How many hours would you spend collecting and transporting a truck full of cans? 6 hrs? So you will spend 6 hrs to make $16.

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24866

Saints isn't the

blackbeSSt
    blackbeSSt's Avatar Become A Pro!

most states pay per pound, not can. and at that its only .50 per pound at most. and roughly 32-33 cans per pound. stick to taking your ladys waffle house check and going all in

saints7011

How many hours would you spend collecting and transporting a truck full of cans? 6 hrs? So you will spend 6 hrs to make $16.
    I think it would be more than that...

besides , I will do anything for my lady...

that bracelet is still on craigslist that she likes...

dulas

nyjets15
    nyjets15's Avatar Become A Pro!

The money made would not be worth the effort imo

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids

Every time you post I think of the movie Road Trip. The white boy with the big sista and her huge panties.

ssabmud

crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

lucky for you there's an expert on this very subject.

this broke loser is the jacque cousteau of dumpster diving....

Quote Originally Posted by cant call it
    dumpster diving is the best, I found a very nice humidor and 4 nice kitchen chairs a few weeks ago outside a dumpster near house. I live in auburn, so all these spoiled kids with mom and dad paying for everything will just set anything out, and I am reaping all the benefits.

blackbeSSt
    blackbeSSt's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by crustyme View Post
    lucky for you there's an expert on this very subject.

this broke loser is the jacque cousteau of dumpster diving....

[b]

hey now! there ain't nothing wrong with some dumpster diving on a college campus. all the years i lived in athens i got some hella nice stuff. students in dorms that go home for the summer don't take stuff home cause mommy and daddy don't want it there. they have no choice but to chunk it

RubberKettle
    RubberKettle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 791

If it was possible why aren't homeless people swimming in dough?

Marigold HD
    Marigold HD's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47737

I have my employees spending time organizing cans, bottles etc. into large bags. I let them randomly return them. They always complain about how much money they recieved. round $7-15 each time.

So between the sorting, packing, driving, waiting in long lines, getting small returns it's not that worth it for them.

Ps. I never give them the beer bottles though. I make a beer order every 3-4 months and the beer company takes my empties for a credit on my next order. It's usually around $150.

no1here
    no1here's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6547

Many moons ago back in the 70's I would travel to Toledo bars removing both cans and bottles returning them back to stores in Michigan for deposits refunds. Always had a stock pile.

tony_come
    tony_come's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1122

3 yrs ago when I lived in California

With my truck I drive around my town collecting cans/bottles when ppl put their recycle bins outside.

I got so busy I hired a couple of mexicans from lowe's/home depot's.

dom75
    dom75's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 511

Why not recycle scrap wire, anyone thought of that ? I used to work new home construction and when a home just got done being prewired or trimmed out for low and high volt wiring, I'd pick up the scrap. About half the wiring contractors pick up thier own scrap, but the ones that wouldn't, it would be money in my pocket. I remember many a times I would go to the recycling center with a few bags and walk out with about $ 150 ish depending on price of copper at the time. That was just doing it not even part time, just pick up when at the house I worked on.

chemicalbrother
    Under the Influence
    chemicalbrother's Avatar Become A Pro!

i've been known to drink a beer or two, and all winter put my cans into a separate garbage bag in the garage thinking that i'd get a couple bucks in the spring. now, i have 3 large, completely full garbage bags full of beer cans in my garage that i considered just throwing away because i can't be bothered to drive 5 miles for $30.

for those that have before, what's the process of turning them in like? how long does it take? how do they weigh them?

i was always curious about that..

tony_come
    tony_come's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1122

^^Going to recycle my pennies

I have 19 garbage bags of pennies

that's all copper baby!

wtf
    wtf's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 61

better idea

enter your gf in a maiden claiming race at suffolk downs, the horses are slow there, she will get a piece of the prize for sho
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Grits n' Gravy

RubberKettle
    RubberKettle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 791

Get a job you fuk

Dulas

eleuropeano
    eleuropeano's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1924

my boss in college collected cans around the campus. canīt say how BIG the money was, but it was decent at least. he was quite fond of his "hobby".

12 Last