daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Texas Rangers draft paralyzed player

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ycn-8609249

Johnathan Taylor was a major league prospect who played in the outfield for the University of Georgia. His coaches knew that one day he would be drafted by a big league team.
    On Wednesday, June 8 the Texas Rangers selected Taylor with their 33rd pick in the draft. However, Taylor will never play in a single game at any level in their farm system.

On March 6, Taylor was involved in a collision with teammate Zach Cone. Cone was fine. Taylor broke two vertebrae in his neck and was left paralyzed as a tetraplegic. Tetraplegia means that none of his extremities are functioning, including fingers and toes. Zach Cone was drafted by Texas in the compensatory portion of the first round, and I believe this move was very nice gesture on the part of the Rangers. Cone was projected to go higher entering his junior year but his stats dropped after the collision and some felt it was due to his feelings about his fallen teammate.
    It's not too often that you see a team make a move like this. Usually in the later rounds teams realize that they're not going to find future stars so they start drafting relatives, kids of people they know, or even players at the request of a manager's friend (Tommy Lasorda had the Dodgers draft Mike Piazza in the 62nd round of the 1988 amateur draft as a favor to longtime friend Vince Piazza). I am positive, however, that there will be somebody out there who will think the Rangers wasted a pick. There's always that one person.
    Even though Taylor will never suit up and take the field as a member of the Texas Rangers, he has had his dream fulfilled. And I'm sure you can count on him being part of some sort of opening day ceremony. This was a classy move by a classy organization, and I find that it's only fitting that the Rangers were the team to draft him after having drafted his teammate and close friend. It also serves as a reminder that for every sports story that involves steroids, or drunk driving, or showboating, there are still those stories that make you smile. Just like I am right now.
    I commend the Texas Rangers.

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

very unfortunate Braves did not do this..unless the kid was originally from Texas

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

man sad story
    good move Texas

in2thethickofit
    in2thethickofit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

What a class act...I agree with you. Great to know that there is a human side to sports sometimes. Thanks for posting this!

doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011
    doublej95's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

It has got to make the kid happy and sad at the same time, wondering what could have been.

boeing power
    boeing power's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 56

good move
    Last edited by boeing power; 06-08-11 at 08:06 PM.

FrozenMAN
    2020 Big Ten CHAMPS!
    FrozenMAN's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4112

yeah thats a classy move

MIAMIHURRICANE
    MIAMIHURRICANE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

that isc called class...all sports teams, corporations, and people should learn from this. He has got the best rehab...no one better the Shepherd Center in Atlanta

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21665

Are they going to pay him? Otherwise, seems like an empty gesture. Doesn't really help the kid, and wastes a draft pick of their own. Seems like they could have honored him another way. I know, I'm being a prick, I guess.

suman
    suman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 738

I'm not tyring to be a hater but it does take a spot of a worthy kid. One of my friends who was a senior in college this year was projected to go this year in the teens but he never got the call. How put yourself in his shoes .

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

You guys are brutal....it was the 33rd round....those picks are dart throws....they did it because his best friend was also drafted by the Rangers and the kid was a prospect before he got hurt...so they were trying to show him some respect

DBaseball23
    DBaseball23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 180

Quote Originally Posted by suman View Post
    I'm not tyring to be a hater but it does take a spot of a worthy kid. One of my friends who was a senior in college this year was projected to go this year in the teens but he never got the call. How put yourself in his shoes .
    Was your friend drafted at all? If not, highly doubt that it didn't happen because of this one specific pick.

gafl
    gafl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 706

Classy move by the Rangers.

deeshen13
    deeshen13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 54

Nice story

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68545

Great move.

kisado
    kisado's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 38

Meh

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by DBaseball23 View Post
    Was your friend drafted at all? If not, highly doubt that it didn't happen because of this one specific pick.
    Well, there is one person out there that would have been drafted, but was not drafted because of this, that is for sure.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

Seriously though, are they going to pay him? Otherwise, what exactly does it do for him?

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

Waahhhhh! Your friend didn't get drafted. Waahhhhh! So not only is he a scrub, but a kid who can't walk is a better prospect. Tell him to man up and get a real job.

BRAVES1985
    BRAVES1985's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1975

Quote Originally Posted by doublej95 View Post
    It has got to make the kid happy and sad at the same time, wondering what could have been.

BetterBizness
    My chicks!
    BetterBizness's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7638

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Sanchez View Post
    You guys are brutal....it was the 33rd round....those picks are dart throws....they did it because his best friend was also drafted by the Rangers and the kid was a prospect before he got hurt...so they were trying to show him some respect
    uh... 33rd pick man...round 2.1

Geary22
    Geary22's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 296

great story...very classy move

Hall2Collie
    Hall2Collie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 158

Does your friend have the use of his legs?

bettilimbroke999
    bettilimbroke999's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 506

Would be even classier if they would start him in left field or let him DH

BrickJames
    Action
    BrickJames's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8914

I feel bad for that guy. Imagine never being able to **** again.

Shack
    Shack's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

Shows a lot of confidence in their first 32 picks. lol. Classy move by Nolan and the boyz.

bettilimbroke999

Quote Originally Posted by Shack View Post
    Shows a lot of confidence in their first 32 picks. lol. Classy move by Nolan and the boyz.
    #32 gets to brag that he was drafted just ahead of a guy who is completely paralyzed....the #34 pick on the other hand is going to have to fight with the paralyzed kid for a spot in the lineup

Gee
    Gee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2327

kingdom
    kingdom's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1957

i'm sorry but if you are waiting to get drafted in the 33RD ROUND, you may not be worthy. i saw the highlight on sportscenter and this kid just lit up and all his teammates were there for a great moment. can we smile about the good things sometimes?

jahred6999
    jahred6999's Avatar Become A Pro!

Verry classy move and should be put all over the news.

bettilimbroke999

The guy who was going to be drafted but lost out on his dream to a completely paralyzed player got drunk and drove into a utility pole and is now completely paralyzed....oh the irony

Mikail
    Fader of GOY'S
    Mikail's Avatar Become A Pro!

stand up move by the Rangers organization.

LLXC
    LLXC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10451

Classy but why not use their last pick at the 50th round?

suman
    suman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 738

Like I said I'm not trying to be a hater. But what if you didn't get hired for a job because of something like this. Wouldn't you be kind of upset as well.

Sportsbetting123
    Sportsbetting123's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7617

Quote Originally Posted by jahred6999 View Post
    Verry classy move and should be put all over the news.
    Fortunately it is getting a fair amount of press. Unusual for the media to spread positive news.

12 Last