36mafia
    36mafia's Avatar Become A Pro!

Having faith is +EV

no matter how badly you ****** up, you can say Jesus lead me hear

that is +EV

plus nobody says that are atheist in public, everybody will think you are a closet homo and a shut in. athletes and celebs all thank god when accepting awards. top execs at fortune 500 companies always talk about god. stephen hawkins the smartest man in a wheel chair believes in god. once you say i have faith people automatically assume "he is a good person, he will not **** me" that is +EV

Deuce
    Eddie Mush
    Deuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3519

I speak to Jesus everyday.

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

Quote Originally Posted by 36mafia View Post

that is +EV

plus nobody says that are atheist in public, everybody will think you are a closet homo and a shut in. athletes and celebs all thank god when accepting awards. top execs at fortune 500 companies always talk about god. stephen hawkins the smartest man in a wheel chair believes in god. once you say i have faith people automatically assume "he is a good person, he will not **** me" that is +EV

hawking -

Stephen Hawking has joined with some other interesting people such as Richard Dawkins, who assert that the concepts of God and Heaven are “fairy stories” or worse.

Stephen Hawking, famous for being the greatest living scientist, was reported on May 16, 2011 as saying that there was no God, no heaven and no life after death

ChileCheese
    ChileCheese's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 256

Quote Originally Posted by brooks85 View Post
    hawking -

Stephen Hawking has joined with some other interesting people such as Richard Dawkins, who assert that the concepts of God and Heaven are “fairy stories” or worse.

Stephen Hawking, famous for being the greatest living scientist, was reported on May 16, 2011 as saying that there was no God, no heaven and no life after death
    BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OM

goes the dynamite.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21629

that is +EV

What you describe is not necessarily actually having faith, but rather proclaiming publicly that you have faith. So it's not the actual having of faith that is +EV, but rather the convincing others than you do. Two different things.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21629

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I speak to Jesus everyday.
    So do I. He does good landscaping work.

ChileCheese

that is +EV

Actually some more prominent billionaires really dont believe or give 2 shits.

Here they are :

Bill Gates
    Marc Zuckerberg
    Warren Buffet
    Steve Jobs

Any of these names ring a bell?

I am sure most of the executives who have 'faith' are the one who worked on wall street and sold out middle America to line their own pockets and have nearly bankrupt their own country.

jarvol
    jarvol's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3670

plus nobody says that are atheist in public, everybody will think you are a closet homo and a shut in.
    There is data correlating atheism to homosexuality and "shut ins"? HTF exactly is a shut in measured?
    Last edited by jarvol; 06-07-11 at 11:25 AM.

EDDIE MONEY LINE
    Get duckets
    EDDIE MONEY LINE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3311

Having faith is def. +EV....no matter what your faith is in, it's always good to have faith, hope and confidence in yourself/ and or a higher being....

Life is good!

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

Quote Originally Posted by ChileCheese View Post
    Actually some more prominent billionaires really dont believe or give 2 shits.

Here they are :

Bill Gates
    Marc Zuckerberg
    Warren Buffet
    Steve Jobs

Any of these names ring a bell?

I am sure most of the executives who have 'faith' are the one who worked on wall street and sold out middle America to line their own pockets and have nearly bankrupt their own country.
    For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?
    Points Awarded:

eidolon gave Snowball 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

jarvol

Quote Originally Posted by EDDIE MONEY LINE View Post
    Having faith is def. +EV....no matter what your faith is in, it's always good to have faith, hope and confidence in yourself/ and or a higher being....

Life is good!
    Why, exactly and specifically, is it good to have faith, hope, and confidence in a higher being?

EDDIE MONEY LINE
    Get duckets

Quote Originally Posted by jarvol View Post
    Why, exactly and specifically, is it good to have faith, hope, and confidence in a higher being?
    u miss quoted me...i said faith, hope and confidence in yourself and/or a higher being....

you can't go wrong if you have faith in yourself...some people like my grandparents have faith in God as well, and that hasn't done them any harm as they have led long, happy lives...the key is the faith in yourself, and some people can only derive that from a higher faith...i'm not here to knock whatever is right or wrong, b/c I might never know...to each is own, but whatever you do you gotta do it with all your mind, body and soul.

Blax0r
    Blax0r's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1512

I agree that having genuine faith is likely +EV, but it may not be possible for me since I would view it as a hedge rather than having actual faith.

I assume pursuing a faith as a life-hedge would not "save" a person, right?

rfr3sh
    Blind Knucklehead
    rfr3sh's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 604

Believing in something that is fake is -EV
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: onetrickpony

36mafia

Quote Originally Posted by brooks85 View Post
    hawking -

he doesnt believe in god but he believes in nature as being the higher and mightier power. isnt that what faith is about. admitting you are human and believing there is someone/thing greater than yourself.

to finish off the quote:

Stephen Hawking, famous for being the greatest living scientist, was reported on May 16, 2011 as saying that there was no God, no heaven and no life after death. However, he did write previously, and still tended to believe, that the God-concept could be resolved by giving that title to nature as it performed its mysteries and wonders, including spontaneous creation.

jgilmartin
    jgilmartin's Avatar Become A Pro!

the key is the faith in yourself, and some people can only derive that from a higher faith
    Fair enough, but how do you know it's not just the placebo effect? How do you know they are not actually deriving it from within themselves?

Cap dat 4ss
    okst. -13.5
    Cap dat 4ss's Avatar Become A Pro!

Faith has become synonymous with religion because without faith, religion fails. See, logically religion makes no sense. It's been proven time and time again. Faith enters here. It fills in the massive, gaping void in the center of all religions. Whether or not there is actually a god means nil to me. I could care less. I've been living life the way I want for years and enjoying it 10 fold over when I was trying to please an extra-terrestrial deity. But many people find solace in believing that something of a higher power controls things, especially during trying times. People like to turn to god and trust that there troubles will go away. It is also comforting during the death of a loved one to believe they will be going to heaven. Much like how we teach children all dogs go to heaven. Same concept.

So I do agree with you that faith is +EV for many people. They don't have the coping skills to go on without it.
    Last edited by Cap dat 4ss; 06-07-11 at 11:40 AM.

Cap dat 4ss
    okst. -13.5

No, faith is the belief in the trustworthiness or someone or something without sufficient evidence.

EDDIE MONEY LINE
    Get duckets

Quote Originally Posted by jgilmartin View Post
    Fair enough, but how do you know it's not just the placebo effect? How do you know they are not actually deriving it from within themselves?
    I don't know, but this is what makes faith...faith

36mafia

Quote Originally Posted by d2bets View Post
    What you describe is not necessarily actually having faith, but rather proclaiming publicly that you have faith. So it's not the actual having of faith that is +EV, but rather the convincing others than you do. Two different things.
    two different things but both +EV

Quote Originally Posted by jarvol View Post
    There is data correlating atheism to homosexuality and "shut ins"? HTF exactly is a shut in measured?
    atheists and homos go against what is the norm so it is logical they are also shut ins

Shut-In
    A prisoner or recluse confined to a safe and comfortable area such as the home. The shut in lacks the capacity to regulate a stable social life as long as he or she is so confined, and in addition to a lack of healthy, natural sunlight, will usually become pale, depressed, insane, or generally pitiful in contrast to an outgoing individual. Synonymous with tight-ass, worthless, stiff, sbr poster.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Only way to win is bet both sides to a game, scalp and middle
    Any other way and you fail real bad

Cap dat 4ss
    okst. -13.5

atheists and homos go against what is the norm so it is logical they are also shut ins Shut-In A prisoner or recluse confined to a safe and comfortable area such as the home. The shut in lacks the capacity to regulate a stable social life as long as he or she is so confined, and in addition to a lack of healthy, natural sunlight, will usually become pale, depressed, insane, or generally pitiful in contrast to an outgoing individual. Synonymous with tight-ass, worthless, stiff, sbr poster.
    Blood letting used to be the norm. The Earth used to be flat. The sun used to orbit Earth. Earth was the center of the universe. These all used to be the "norm." Care to explain what makes the norm correct?

jgilmartin
    jgilmartin's Avatar Become A Pro!

I don't know, but this is what makes faith...faith
    Exactly. I just don't understand why religion is the only area of life where people don't require evidence to accept something as true.

jarvol

atheists and homos go against what is the norm so it is logical they are also shut ins
    One of the most ignorant correlations I have ever read.

EDDIE MONEY LINE
    Get duckets

Exactly. I just don't understand why religion is the only area of life where people don't require evidence to accept something as true.
    I don't know either...I have always had faith b/c I was raised that way. I've always prayed to a higher being (God). This is what I believe. I have been in accidents I never should've survived. Been in situations where I didn't think there was an answer, but eventually found one. My grandmother was practically dead, but she says her faith brought her through the comma and is still living 2 years after. Things I have witnesses have helped me believe....will I ever see "God", I don't know. I try not to get so caught up in religion, and sins, because I have certainly done so...but I strive to be a better person. I go to church as a time to relax and reflect and focus on what I want to achieve. Does it always work out the way I want just b/c I pray, no, but more things than not have. I have living a very satisfying life and am still young, and for that I thank my family, friends, myself and the Lord. Just b/c people say I haven't seen "God", I shouldn't believe...I think that is non sense, b/c I have seen God...everyday, when I look at myself in the mirror and my family and all the opportunities I've had and hope to have as time goes by...I guess this is how I would define faith. Something to help me through my days and when times are tough someone to walk with me in my mind body and soul...That is my God

36mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Cap dat 4ss View Post
    Blood letting used to be the norm. The Earth used to be flat. The sun used to orbit Earth. Earth was the center of the universe. These all used to be the "norm." Care to explain what makes the norm correct?
    if you were ill and didnt let the leeches "heal" you, you were tossed out in the woods like trash. if you went against the church in the middle ages you were considered a satan worshiper and burned at the cross. having faith, believing in something bigger than yourself will always be +EV. not blending in and being ignorant about being ignorant is incorrect.

chilidog
    chilidog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 956

So God chose to let your grandmother live, as well as you survive accidents, but is perfectly fine with letting a child starve to death? Puzzling.

EDDIE MONEY LINE
    Get duckets

Quote Originally Posted by chilidog View Post
    So God chose to let your grandmother live, as well as you survive accidents, but is perfectly fine with letting a child starve to death? Puzzling.
    I understand that train of thought also...and obviously I can't give u an answer Chili...I'm not saying God let her live, but that is how she interprets it. She says she will go when it is her time...as for me, I just lived. Flipped my car, i'll show the pics, but its crazy...maybe i'm just an animal or the acura makes such a safe car, but I am in awe on how I walked out of a few accidents that should have maimed me at least...God is a mystery, but I just don't know how we all live here on this world with such coherant thought and technology without some kind of higher power or being...one of the great mysteries.

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

there is evidence if one is willing to spend time looking for it, with an open mind.
    still, at this present point in time, God is choosing to limit that evidence.
    He wants us to believe without evidence. Everyone will believe if there is
    100% in-your-face manifestation, but God wants us to believe without that.
    When the time comes for it, there will be no going back, it will be the end
    of humanity as we've come to know it.
    “BLESSED ARE THOSE WHO HAVE NOT SEEN AND YET HAVE BELIEVED”

http://www.shroudstory.com/
    http://www.zeitun-eg.org/stmaridx.htm
    http://www.amazon.com/Saints-Who-Rai.../dp/0895557983
    http://www.amazon.com/Incorruptibles...ref=pd_sim_b_2
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saints_and_levitation
    Points Awarded:

topgame85 gave Snowball 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

36mafia gave Snowball 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

ChileCheese

You guys defending the notion of a 'God' understand 1 simple premise right?
    You are defending the modern Christian-Judeo version right?

You know the way you guys probably laugh at ancient tribes for their beliefs of what constituted god, or how the Greeks had a god for rain or heat or whatever they were deluded into believing...
    People one day will laugh at what Jews, Christians, Muslims, etc,all believed in.
    In 5,000 years (if this plant is still livable) there will be a new form of religion and 'God'

Maybe the lord will finally be a woman.. since u know.. woman actually are the reason for life.
    Maybe the lord will be a monkey, since monkeys love to throw their feces and you guys don't mind having bullshit flung at you at church or wherever.

Point is.. if you study the history of a god and religion, you will understand it is forever changing to suit the needs of the masses.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: chilidog