Mudcat
    Mudcat's Avatar Become A Pro!

Did Selig do the right thing?

Here's my understanding of what happened. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Bud Selig overturned a rule of MLB that has stood for 100 years or whatever. He changed it so that now, World Series games must go the full 9 innings (or 8.5).

(Freakishly, I hear there has never been a shortened World Series game up until now, though the rules would have allowed it, just as it is allowed in the regular season)

So that's one thing.

And then the other thing relates to the spreading of the information. Apparently just a few select people were told. There was no big announcement.

Okay so here's my take. I give Selig for changing the rule. I think the old rule sucked. It would have sucked if they had called the last game after 5 innings and Philly was awarded the World Series at that point - which would have been possible with the old rules.

That specific example aside, it just seems right to me that World Series games should go 9 innings. I am sure traditionalists will disagree but I am an anti-traditionalist. I think it was a very positive change that should have been made long ago.

The other part: the spreading of information.

What was up with that? Did you know when the game was going on what the rules were? I don't think the Fox broadcasters did. From interviews, I know some of the players didn't.

Think about that. It was the potentially deciding game of the World Series and some players didn't know the rules. Brutal. Obviously team officials have to share in the blame for that but wouldn't a big honking announcement from the commish have been called for to begin with?

(Aside: I have to think Bud wanted to stand up and cheer when TB tied the game in the 6th - just for the sake of appearances. Because suppose they called the game when it was 2-1 Phils and
    and all the Philly fans are saying, "Okay, for 100 years this means we just won the World Series. WTF, why are we still going to play some more?")

nosniboR11
    fu
    nosniboR11's Avatar Become A Pro!

Has he ever?

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

Quote Originally Posted by nosniboR11 View Post
    Has he ever?
    Good point, nosnibo.

The rule change, requiring a World Series game or any postseason game for that matter go the full nine innings makes perfect sense to me. Using the regular season rules -- Maybe they should be changed too? -- would be like finishing the Daytona 500 under a yellow flag, pretty anticlimatic in my opinion.

Not publicizing the change? Typical Bud Selig move and total bullsh!t.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Selig should have never allowed that game to start in the first place.

big joe 1212
    big joe 1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5365

Regular season games should revert back to old rule where you dont have to continue it some other time, postseason should make the permanent rule of indefinite rain delays, since they would not have to travel back to that city to finish.
    Vegas could then make seperate rules for regular season(same rules as now) and the postseason games would have action until completed!

Beat up the book
    Beat up the book's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 433

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan View Post
    You said it!

nosniboR11
    fu
    nosniboR11's Avatar Become A Pro!

yes sir

Mudcat

Selig does seem like a pretty easy punching bag at all times. But I seriously do give him credit for changing the rule. Going against tradition in baseball is not to be taken lightly.

But I think he got it right.

But, you know, maybe don't just keep it as your little secret.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

He made right move

No one even questioned him

They never should of played the 5 innings, it should of been called before that.

louisvillekid
    slummin it
    louisvillekid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3822

i agree that the games for a playoff or WS should go the distance, but that game should of been postponed/delayed in the 3rd, or not even started, they knew the weather was going to just get worse.
    I'm cheering for Philly, but if they would've of called it Philly in the fifth at 2-1, i'd been mad. you just have to let the teams play the distance.

I.R.B
    I.R.B's Avatar Become A Pro!

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

To the best of my knowledge, there was NOT a rule change. The reason that there has never been a rain shortened game is that it has always been an UNWRITTEN rule for post-season games to go nine innings, and everything has been done to make this so.

If the Rays did not tie this game, in effect giving MLB a free "out", they would have played through a hurricane the other night.

Dashwood Clipper
    Dashwood Clipper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Selig should have used his other unwritten rule:

If weather is an issue, the game or series is moved to Milwaukee.

Mudcat

Saw an interview with the Fox announcers and they really didn't know what rules the game was being played under. I wasn't sure about that because I was doing a lot of channel-flipping on Monday.

Players didn't know, announcers didn't know, fans didn't know.

What we have here is a failure to communicate

Selig---> <----Mudcat

ryanXL977
    ryanXL977's Avatar Become A Pro!

selig did fine. should a game ever be called after 5? i think every game should be finished, if agame is 3-1 after 2, pick it up in the third