opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

National Spelling Bee

I realize its old news, but I'll have you boys know that I qualified for the Scripps National Spelling Bee in 1983! I was in 6th grade, and got to visit Wasington, DC. I got knocked out early, but it was cool to go. I had lost in the regionals the 2 years before, but in '83 I finally broke thru!

I thought it was going to be super cool to be around these other kids from all over, but it turned out to be Nerd City up there! In hindsight, this is not that surprising.....

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

YorkHunt
    I JUST RELEASED
    YorkHunt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1507

chilidog
    chilidog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 956

Quote Originally Posted by opie1988 View Post
    I realize its old news, but I'll have you boys know that I qualified for the Scripps National Spelling Bee in 1983! I was in 6th grade, and got to visit Wasington, DC. I got knocked out early, but it was cool to go. I had lost in the regionals the 2 years before, but in '83 I finally broke thru!

I thought it was going to be super cool to be around these other kids from all over, but it turned out to be Nerd City up there! In hindsight, this is not that surprising.....
    So what's the word that eliminated you? I know you remember what it was. Just think of all the "what-ifs". What mighta been had you only gotten that one word right. Endorsements. Candy bars named after you. Kids would be lining up at the dime store to buy a chocolate opie. So what was it?

opie1988

Quote Originally Posted by chilidog View Post
    So what's the word that eliminated you? I know you remember what it was. Just think of all the "what-ifs". What mighta been had you only gotten that one word right. So what was it?
    It's mortifying to admit this.....but it was fukkin' "coffee"! I got in a hurry and spelled it Cofee. I'll never forget how pissed I was at myself. I was walking off the stage cursing myself out..."fukkin' idiot", "dumbass", etc.... Those other kids were looking at me like I was some sort of alien. I don't think any of them even used cuss words regularly like I did.

Like I said, it was Nerd City up there.

Cofee!! Fukk me....

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

boeing power
    boeing power's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 56

i thought the word was MASTURBATE

Could you put that in a sentence?

Opie likes to watch JJGOLD masturbate via skype.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

It's mortifying to admit this.....but it was fukkin' "coffee"! I got in a hurry and spelled it Cofee. I'll never forget how pissed I was at myself. I was walking off the stage cursing myself out..."fukkin' idiot", "dumbass", etc.... Those other kids were looking at me like I was some sort of alien. I don't think any of them even used cuss words regularly like I did.

Like I said, it was Nerd City up there.

Cofee!! Fukk me....
    \
    i also blew a spelling bee on a very easy word. thirsty! i spelt it thristy. i ran behind the kid who beat me like i knew it was right, terrible to get 2nd place, was about 200 in that tournament. i got a small scholarship around 1000 for 2nd, he got i believe a 10k one though, was in 3rd grade and it was a big deal locally.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

actually think its kinda sad to see some of these kids up there. probably live inside a dictionary and have 0 social life.

Wiggums5
    The Wiggler
    Wiggums5's Avatar Become A Pro!

nice Opie, you would be the only mother fukker on this site to actually have done this. Unreal.

William Walters
    William Walters's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Good work Opie. You must have thought D.C. was pretty cool though.........6th grade is a great age to visit.

Just another example of our great educational system here in the worlds greatest country.

opie1988

Quote Originally Posted by William Walters View Post
    Good work Opie. You must have thought D.C. was pretty cool though.........6th grade is a great age to visit.
    Just another example of our great educational system here in the worlds greatest country.
    It was awesome! I remember being totally blown away by the size of the federal buildings. I still am. Until you see firsthand that the FBI, IRS, etc buildings literally take up several city blocks, its hard to imagine.

This trip helped me realize how monumental of a task it is to run a country. The job of the President dwarfs any CEO in the world. Its hard to fathom what it takes to make it all work.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

EDDIE MONEY LINE
    Get duckets
    EDDIE MONEY LINE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3311

1983- the year I was born...good year, except for Opie it seems

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

ive been watching

ouman101
    ouman101's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 749

Opie, you must have some Indian in you. Those fukking guys can spell better than we can and its not even their native language

opie1988

Quote Originally Posted by ouman101 View Post
    Opie, you must have some Indian in you. Those fukking guys can spell better than we can and its not even their native language
    None. It was different back then. Not nearly as many foreign students. Truth is, it was 99% white kids at that competition in '83.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

William Walters

It was awesome! I remember being totally blown away by the size of the federal buildings. I still am. Until you see firsthand that the FBI, IRS, etc buildings literally take up several city blocks, its hard to imagine.

This trip helped me realize how monumental of a task it is to run a country. The job of the President dwarfs any CEO in the world. Its hard to fathom what it takes to make it all work.
    D.C. is one of my favorite places in the U.S. to visit. I have two very close family members that work in D.C........one with I.C.E. and the other is the top assistant to a senator that has served many terms. I've been given many "private tours" of areas that are off limits to the general public and find D.C. to be an amazing place.

Jmschoba
    Jmschoba's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 27

The kids now are just ridiculous I was just watching and was like what the hell how do you know how to spell these... But I bet you will never forget how to spell Cofee... Oops I mean Coffee

William Walters

None. It was different back then. Not nearly as many foreign students. Truth is, it was 99% white kids at that competition in '83.
    Oh how our country has changed.

zam77
    zam77's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 687

Hope you're not a coffee drinker. Constant reminder.

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO
    King Mayan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3679

Quote Originally Posted by William Walters View Post
    Oh how our country has changed.
    Kids listening to bullshit music in America now, instead of studying......

And playing videogames for hours...