Frostware
    Frostware's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5433

Anyone gonna watch CFL if it doesn't happen???

Outlawdino
    Outlawdino's Avatar Become A Pro!

I should make sure I cancel my auto renew of directv's nfl ticket so I don't get billed.

agharah1
    agharah1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1191

I'm just sick of ESPN always telling me I'm supposed to be addicted to NFL football. How many times do I have to flip on the radio in March to catch an NCAA Tournament game and all they're talking about is the NFL Combine? The NFL is so contrived, wouldn't be so heavily marketed if Fox didn't wildly overpay for it back in 1993. Most of the games are unwatchable since there's such a chronic shortage of quality quarterbacks. Wouldn't it be awesome if all the players went to the UFL and let the NFL teams go bankrupt. Then the UFL teams could purchase the NFL's trademarks and assets for pennies on the dollar. Just like that, the players will have fired the owners.

I wonder if people out there who reflexively blame unions for everything realize that the owners are appealing the case because the owners are opposed to the players de-unionizing. If the players were non-unionized then the draft, the salary cap, the franchise tag, the proposed rookie salary scale, all of these would be violations of federal anti-trust law. The only reason we have them now is because they're only legal as part of a collective bargaining agreement.

The biggest reason why if this court case continues the season might not get played is because both sides are essentially asking for a new interpretation of the law, which is almost guaranteed to make it to the Supreme Court. Plus, the court's docket is really really long because there is such a supermassive shortage of federal judges since the Republicans have filibustered all of Obama's nominees.

LarrysKid
    LarrysKid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1479

I will honestly not care if there is no NFL season. Only 16 regular season games anyways, for a baseball fan that's about a half a month's worth of games.

SpreadSniper
    SpreadSniper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7261

"Citing multiple sources, CBSSports.com's Mike Freeman reports a deal could be reached between the owners and players before the Eight Circuit issues a ruling on the lockout, likely in July.
    The talks are delicate, and a settlement hinges on keeping the attorneys out of the negotiating room. SI.com's Peter King backs Freeman's report while making it clear that a deal is no sure thing. "But I'm more optimistic about a settlement than I've been in a while," adds King. Tom Brady, whose name headlines the anti-trust lawsuit against the NFL, is "relatively confident" that a deal will be struck."

McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

Quote Originally Posted by agharah1 View Post
    I'm just sick of ESPN always telling me I'm supposed to be addicted to NFL football. How many times do I have to flip on the radio in March to catch an NCAA Tournament game and all they're talking about is the NFL Combine? The NFL is so contrived, wouldn't be so heavily marketed if Fox didn't wildly overpay for it back in 1993. Most of the games are unwatchable since there's such a chronic shortage of quality quarterbacks. Wouldn't it be awesome if all the players went to the UFL and let the NFL teams go bankrupt. Then the UFL teams could purchase the NFL's trademarks and assets for pennies on the dollar. Just like that, the players will have fired the owners.

I wonder if people out there who reflexively blame unions for everything realize that the owners are appealing the case because the owners are opposed to the players de-unionizing. If the players were non-unionized then the draft, the salary cap, the franchise tag, the proposed rookie salary scale, all of these would be violations of federal anti-trust law. The only reason we have them now is because they're only legal as part of a collective bargaining agreement.

The biggest reason why if this court case continues the season might not get played is because both sides are essentially asking for a new interpretation of the law, which is almost guaranteed to make it to the Supreme Court. Plus, the court's docket is really really long because there is such a supermassive shortage of federal judges since the Republicans have filibustered all of Obama's nominees.

WOW, really? I about figure you never watched the NFL. There are HOF QBs that stink about now - McNabb, Favre, etc... There has been NO time in NFL history with this many solid to strong to elite qbs EVER.
    Not even arguable.

As for what you're talking about as far as the CBA, the owners are NOT getting their fair shake - which is why they created said lockout. Gene Upshaw, god rest him, was one of the top negotiators of all time and got the players a MORE than fair deal (Revenues are argued at 50 percent, but they are bigger).

Also, this will NOT hit the Supreme Court. I'm 99.99% certain. The PLAYERS want to fight it out in the courts - not the owners. I'm not saying EITHER side is correct. Also, you're talking shite because right now the 8th circuit is full of Reagen appointed judges. It's something like 29 to 3 (republican to democrat), if I remember correctly, in favor of Republican appointees. That's where things are right now and that's why it's clogged right now. If you know politics, Republicans support Corporations/Big Business over individuals/unions. That's why the players are OUT of leverage and why De Smith was a horrible choice to lead their union. The players won EVERY decision, until it hit the 8th circuit... And now they are screwed. They have 1 of 3 judges on their side.

Bottom line is, things have to get back to 50/50. I hate corporations, but they put up a DICKLOAD of money just to make training camps, etc, attractive to free agents. For someone with a capitalization of a billion dollar enterprise, the owners are generating very very small percentages. I am a pro-union guy, but when it comes to the NFL, I think the NFLPA* (which allegedly bullshittedly disband) has to do better. It was the owners, prior to the 8th circuit decisions, that were trying to get a deal done - and apparently, that deal did NOT sit well with a dickload of owners (according to Friday June 17's reports). The players want to get it done via litigation - which, to me, is a HORRIBLE situation for fans. Especially because they dominated to their first step in MN, with their lower court of appeals, that gave them EVERY victory...

If you don't think politics aren't part of this, you're crazy. If you think the NFL owners are in the wrong and vote Republican, you're not only a dumbass, but you have no concept of politics. The Republican Party has gone off the rails in favor of corporate america. If you don't make 1 million or more bux/year, you're mental voting that way... No matter what BS Fox feeds you. All of them in Washington are corrupt as f - but unions do NOT support Republicans, and it takes 1 minute a day to read Supreme Court rulings to figure that out.

Either way, both sides can f off. I want football. Neither is to blame, but if I had to pick a side to blame, it's the players, which is highly ironic, since I normally do NOT support the GOP (racist/anti sex wankers). I think the players are out of line trying to settle things in the courts. That said, if you have any knowledge of things and support the players (especially on these forums, which are heavily (R)), then you have to know that they are out of leverage and the LONGER they use their strategy, as opposed to negotiation, we all will lose.
    We will see crap on CSPAN instead of NFL Network.

GG players. Let the lawyers figure it out! Yeah, they have a dog in the hunt other than their paid hours/retainers.

neverstoppers23
    neverstoppers23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41

Not quite sure where you are hearing this. All the recent reports I have seen is that they are now making progress. The people on ESPN such as John Clayton even sounds more optimistic in the last week.

alka07
    alka07's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 70

it will be 2011-2012 season

eleuropeano
    eleuropeano's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1924

People will just start watching soccer on weekends.

jbrent95
    jbrent95's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1450

I think the owners are the ones that can't come to an agreement.

jat5650
    jat5650's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Not going to happen? Are you serious? There is just too much money involved in the sport.

NFL Kickoff 2011 Weekend will begin on Thursday night, September 8, and the regular season will conclude on January 1.

Go Pack

Enkhbat
    Enkhbat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 26307

No problem with me, I will just enjoy college football

BetWeather
    BetWeather's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 143

soccer on weekends.

LostBankroll
    who is the bitch in my avy???
    LostBankroll's Avatar Become A Pro!

NFL is a ******* God send. This is why we dont go to church on Sundays.

McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

Quote Originally Posted by neverstoppers23 View Post
    Not quite sure where you are hearing this. All the recent reports I have seen is that they are now making progress. The people on ESPN such as John Clayton even sounds more optimistic in the last week.
    Perhaps this is true. They've kicked the lawyers out of the room - but there has been 0 move in terms of litigation from the players. Every time the players have a suit (some won't be heard til the fall), the NFL season falls back and falls back. The thing is, if it were a Dem (god I hate both parties) 8th circuit, then they would rule as they did in MN on a lower court in favor of calling off the lockout. But the 8th circuit is HIGHLY (R), which is horrible for the players. It eliminates the ideal of the lockout being 'against labor laws', as the courts ruled in MN... However, the 8th circuit is NOT built that way. They want to see the players win like I'd like to see a hemmeroid tommorrow on me bum.

The good thing is they ARE talking - but it does NOT excuse the litigation strategy that was doomed to die, if you know even rudimentary politics. The players, to be honest, are not stepping up. The owners are BARELY stepping up right now with their talks - as I've mentioned in other threads - there are HUGE stumbling blocks amongst owner solidarity. Enough where 2/3rds majority will not happen - which is what is required in any collectively bargained session. The owners are actually so far amongst themselves, even if there was a 50/50 share proposal, it would die with the owners. It would die with guys like Mike Brown in Cinci, Ralph Wilson in Buffalo, Douchebag Hunt in KC, DICKNUTT in SD, Al Davis in Oak, KNUCKLEHEAD JONES in Dallas and I'm just naming the easy guys.

This deal SHOULD be done in the next 2 weeks, but it won't. The owners want way way more than they probably deserve. I've not heard ANYTHING that says the talks are going in the right direction. Even if they ARE talking. I just think it's all crap. Both sides can f off. Right now, the NFL season is about to be fahked. It is already f'd. I just wish the players negotiated rather than litigated and I wish the owners would get their house in order - It's almost impossible to deal with a Mike Brown that just wants to get paid TV fees and not trying to win VS a Jerry Jones that will spend everything he has to make coin off of his stadium. The owners have a lot of internal work to do.

Either way, F both. I want football.
    Points Awarded:

BigDan gave McBa1n 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: BigDan, and koz-man

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

I wonder if any big name players might end up playing in the UFL if the NFL season doesn't start on time.

jimk6969
    Update your status
    jimk6969's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11621

too much money for it not to happen i have faith in greed

Wrigley
    Wrigley's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9423

They will settle to much money to lose will go down to the wire

capitalist pig
    capitalist pig's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 346

I think if both sides were going to concede some things, they would have done it by now, I know money is important, but this seems to be one of those times money is going to take the back seat,JMO.

later

crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

according to supr agent leigh steinberg, there will be a season.
    http://articles.dailypilot.com/2011-...pa-nfl-network

also been listening to lincoln kennedys show and he pretty much guaranteed thered be a season, jut not 16 games. problem he says are 2 delusional owners who think once the players start missing paychecks they will cave and agree to all their demands.

panik
    panik's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3139

and lose alot of moneY? I dont htink so .. The show must go on.

Richkas
    Richkas's Avatar Become A Pro!

There will be football.....replacement players along with any FA who want to sign and cross the line.

Richkas
    Richkas's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by eleuropeano View Post
    People will just start watching soccer on weekends.

Frostware
    Frostware's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5433

who knows, gonna suck and be boring. Thats for sure.

DerekMadden
    DerekMadden's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 84

If in fact it doesn't happen, then I guess we are all doomed...

jollyoscars
    jollyoscars's Avatar Become A Pro!

cfl is gonna be huge! bring back the xfl too!!!!!

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Quote Originally Posted by jollyoscars View Post
    cfl is gonna be huge! bring back the xfl too!!!!!
    XFL?! Mixing football with pro wrestling was a bad idea, let it R.I.P.

tim0402
    Update your status
    tim0402's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 457

slacker00 is right

DMB40
    DMB40's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 467

There will be football.

First 123