1. #1
    durito
    escarabajo negro
    durito's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-03-06
    Posts: 13,182

    Former Secretary of State Powell Backs Obama

    October 19, 2008, 9:21 am
    Powell Endorses Obama
    By Elisabeth Bumiller

    Updated WASHINGTON—Former Secretary of State Colin L. Powell endorsed Senator Barack Obama for president on Sunday morning as a candidate who was reaching out in a “more diverse and inclusive way across our society” and offering a “calm, patient, intellectual, steady approach” to the nation’s problems.

    The endorsement, on the NBC public affairs program “Meet the Press,” was a major blow to Senator John McCain, who has been a good friend of Mr. Powell for decades. Mr. Powell, a Republican, has advised Mr. McCain in the past on foreign policy.

    Mr. Powell told reporters after the taping of “Meet the Press” that he had been disturbed in recent weeks by the negative tone of Mr. McCain’s campaign, particularly its focus on Mr. Obama’s passing relationship with William Ayers, a 1960s radical and founder of the Weather Underground. The McCain campaign has sought to promote the idea that Mr. Obama is “palling around with terrorists,” in the words of Mr. McCain’s running mate, Gov. Sarah Palin, because of Mr. Obama’s weak links to Mr. Ayers.

    “I thought that was over the top,” Mr. Powell told reporters. “It was beyond just good political fighting back and forth.”

    Mr. Powell did offer Mr. McCain a small dose of solace by calling him a different kind of Republican, although one who would support the party’s standard positions.

    “As gifted as he is, he is essentially going to execute the Republican agenda, the orthodoxy of the Republican agenda, with a new face and a maverick approach to it, and he’d be quite good at it,” Mr. Powell said. “But I think we need a generational change.”

    In offering his endorsement, Mr. Powell becomes the highest profile Republican to add his support to the Democratic ticket. Aides said it was not yet known whether the two men would campaign together – or what Mr. Powell would do alone – in the final two weeks of the presidential campaign.

    Those talks, aides said, were underway on Sunday.

    Mr. Powell’s endorsement exposed a fundamental policy rift in the fractious Republican party foreign policy establishment between the so-called pragmatists, a number of whom have come to view the Iraq war or its execution as a mistake, and a competing camp, the neoconservatives, whose thinking dominated President Bush’s first term and played a pivotal role in building the case for war.

    Mr. Powell, who is of the pragmatist camp and has been critical of the Bush administration’s conduct of the war, was said by friends in recent months to be disturbed by some of the neoconservatives who have surrounded Mr. McCain as foreign policy advisers in his presidential campaign. The McCain campaign’s top foreign policy aide is Randy Scheunemann, who was a foreign policy adviser to former Senators Trent Lott and Bob Dole and who has longtime ties to neoconservatives. In 2002, Mr. Scheunemann was a founder of the hawkish Committee for the Liberation of Iraq and was an enthusiastic supporter of the Iraqi exile and Pentagon favorite, Ahmad Chalabi, who was viewed with suspicion and distaste at the State Department when Mr. Powell was secretary of state.

    Mr. Powell met with both Mr. McCain and Mr. Obama in June in preparation to make a possible endorsement. He has said repeatedly in recent months that he wanted to wait until after the political conventions and the presidential debates before making a decision.

    Mr. Powell’s support of Mr. Obama was not a surprise to people who know him well and within Washington’s foreign policy establishment, but the Obama campaign welcomed it as a powerful reassurance to voters about Mr. Obama’s national security credentials. Other voters, however, could discount it as an action of a disgruntled member of the Bush administration or as simply the support of one African American for another.

    Mr. Powell also told reporters on Sunday that he was troubled that a number of Americans believe that Mr. Obama is a Muslim, although he did not directly link that supposition to the McCain campaign. At a recent town-hall style meeting, Mr. McCain told an audience member who said she thought that Mr. Obama was an “Arab,” “no, ma’am, he’s a decent family man.”

    “These are the kinds of images going out on Al Jazeera that are killing us around the world,” Mr. Powell said. “And we have got to say to the world it doesn’t make any difference who you are and what you are. If you’re an American you’re an American.”

    Mr. McCain was asked about Mr. Powell’s endorsement during an interview on Fox News Sunday.

    “I have always admired and respected General Powell,” Mr. McCain said. “We have a respectful disagreement.”

  2. #2
    reno cool
    the meaning of harm
    reno cool's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-02-08
    Posts: 3,567

    Too bad Powell and the other geniuses couldn't figure out at the time that the war of aggression isn't only a mistake, but fundamentally immoral.
    However, some recent developments are at least on the surface encouraging.

  3. #3
    MonkeyF0cker
    MonkeyF0cker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 06-12-07
    Posts: 12,125
    Betpoints: 793

    Colin Powell actually tried to convince Bush not to invade Iraq.

  4. #4
    ms61853
    ms61853's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 04-10-07
    Posts: 731

    Quote Originally Posted by durito View Post
    October 19, 2008, 9:21 am
    Powell Endorses Obama
    By Elisabeth Bumiller

    Updated WASHINGTON—Former Secretary of State Colin L. Powell endorsed Senator Barack Obama for president on Sunday morning as a candidate who was reaching out in a “more diverse and inclusive way across our society” and offering a “calm, patient, intellectual, steady approach” to the nation’s problems.

    The endorsement, on the NBC public affairs program “Meet the Press,” was a major blow to Senator John McCain, who has been a good friend of Mr. Powell for decades. Mr. Powell, a Republican, has advised Mr. McCain in the past on foreign policy.

    Mr. Powell told reporters after the taping of “Meet the Press” that he had been disturbed in recent weeks by the negative tone of Mr. McCain’s campaign, particularly its focus on Mr. Obama’s passing relationship with William Ayers, a 1960s radical and founder of the Weather Underground. The McCain campaign has sought to promote the idea that Mr. Obama is “palling around with terrorists,” in the words of Mr. McCain’s running mate, Gov. Sarah Palin, because of Mr. Obama’s weak links to Mr. Ayers.

    “I thought that was over the top,” Mr. Powell told reporters. “It was beyond just good political fighting back and forth.”

    Mr. Powell did offer Mr. McCain a small dose of solace by calling him a different kind of Republican, although one who would support the party’s standard positions.

    “As gifted as he is, he is essentially going to execute the Republican agenda, the orthodoxy of the Republican agenda, with a new face and a maverick approach to it, and he’d be quite good at it,” Mr. Powell said. “But I think we need a generational change.”

    In offering his endorsement, Mr. Powell becomes the highest profile Republican to add his support to the Democratic ticket. Aides said it was not yet known whether the two men would campaign together – or what Mr. Powell would do alone – in the final two weeks of the presidential campaign.

    Those talks, aides said, were underway on Sunday.

    Mr. Powell’s endorsement exposed a fundamental policy rift in the fractious Republican party foreign policy establishment between the so-called pragmatists, a number of whom have come to view the Iraq war or its execution as a mistake, and a competing camp, the neoconservatives, whose thinking dominated President Bush’s first term and played a pivotal role in building the case for war.

    Mr. Powell, who is of the pragmatist camp and has been critical of the Bush administration’s conduct of the war, was said by friends in recent months to be disturbed by some of the neoconservatives who have surrounded Mr. McCain as foreign policy advisers in his presidential campaign. The McCain campaign’s top foreign policy aide is Randy Scheunemann, who was a foreign policy adviser to former Senators Trent Lott and Bob Dole and who has longtime ties to neoconservatives. In 2002, Mr. Scheunemann was a founder of the hawkish Committee for the Liberation of Iraq and was an enthusiastic supporter of the Iraqi exile and Pentagon favorite, Ahmad Chalabi, who was viewed with suspicion and distaste at the State Department when Mr. Powell was secretary of state.

    Mr. Powell met with both Mr. McCain and Mr. Obama in June in preparation to make a possible endorsement. He has said repeatedly in recent months that he wanted to wait until after the political conventions and the presidential debates before making a decision.

    Mr. Powell’s support of Mr. Obama was not a surprise to people who know him well and within Washington’s foreign policy establishment, but the Obama campaign welcomed it as a powerful reassurance to voters about Mr. Obama’s national security credentials. Other voters, however, could discount it as an action of a disgruntled member of the Bush administration or as simply the support of one African American for another.

    Mr. Powell also told reporters on Sunday that he was troubled that a number of Americans believe that Mr. Obama is a Muslim, although he did not directly link that supposition to the McCain campaign. At a recent town-hall style meeting, Mr. McCain told an audience member who said she thought that Mr. Obama was an “Arab,” “no, ma’am, he’s a decent family man.”

    “These are the kinds of images going out on Al Jazeera that are killing us around the world,” Mr. Powell said. “And we have got to say to the world it doesn’t make any difference who you are and what you are. If you’re an American you’re an American.”

    Mr. McCain was asked about Mr. Powell’s endorsement during an interview on Fox News Sunday.

    “I have always admired and respected General Powell,” Mr. McCain said. “We have a respectful disagreement.”
    I lost all respect for Powell when he would not allow the fact to be revealed that his under Secretary, Richard Armitage, was the source of the Plame leak to Novak, thus allowing the insinuation to continue that it came from the Bush White House as a vendetta. He's a weasel and a punk.

  5. #5
    Mudcat
    Mudcat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-21-05
    Posts: 9,288

    It's nice - and somewhat amazing given the ongoing political climate - to see someone acting based on what's best for the country instead of brainlessly following a party in zombie-like fashion.

    Great decision. Great example for the country.

    SBR Founder Join Date: 7/21/2005


  6. #6
    ms61853
    ms61853's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 04-10-07
    Posts: 731

    How the moonbats portrayed Powell in 2004

    http://www.dailykos.com/story/2004/4/12/183155/559

    Uncle Tom Powell Stumps for Massah Bush

  7. #7

  8. #8
    Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 02-14-06
    Posts: 15,818
    Betpoints: 109

    Just curious, MS, but were you running around posting that link in 2004 or only now that it fits your agenda in the present?

  9. #9
    ms61853
    ms61853's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 04-10-07
    Posts: 731

    Quote Originally Posted by Willie Bee View Post
    Just curious, MS, but were you running around posting that link in 2004 or only now that it fits your agenda in the present?
    I may not have posted that particular thread in 2004, but I was definitely posting about the nastiness of the moonbats towards Powell.

  10. #10
    WestsidePete
    WestsidePete's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-19-07
    Posts: 8,049

    Hey MS,

    stop with all the negative Obama crap....how about this, start an actual meaningful thread...like why we should vote for McCain...the pro reasons for him, tell people why he will be different then Bush. Tell people how his plan will be the better way with facts about his plan. Do this without criticizing the other side if you can, would be nice to see how it would be any different then the past 8 years.

  11. #11
    reno cool
    the meaning of harm
    reno cool's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-02-08
    Posts: 3,567

    Quote Originally Posted by ms61853 View Post
    http://www.dailykos.com/story/2004/4/12/183155/559

    Uncle Tom Powell Stumps for Massah Bush
    and......?

    Powell's got blood on his hands no doubt. We can't try and hang all these ****s. If he moves in a positive direction we can support it.

  12. #12
    ryanXL977
    ryanXL977's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 02-24-08
    Posts: 20,615

    Quote Originally Posted by ms61853 View Post
    http://www.dailykos.com/story/2004/4/12/183155/559

    Uncle Tom Powell Stumps for Massah Bush
    pretty racist
    everyone in every party has a lot of respect for powell

    shame on you for stooping to this.

  13. #13
    ms61853
    ms61853's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 04-10-07
    Posts: 731

    Quote Originally Posted by ryanXL977 View Post
    pretty racist
    everyone in every party has a lot of respect for powell

    shame on you for stooping to this.
    That's what your fellow moonbats stooped to. That's the way you moonbats treat any black who doesn't follow the Democratic Party plantation line (see Condoleeza Rice, Clarence Thomas)

  14. #14
    Tchocky
    Tchocky's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 02-14-06
    Posts: 2,372
    Betpoints: 1086

    Good endorsement for Obama. Powell should help pick up some undecided voters and a couple of swing states. I find it amazing that 106 newspapers have endorsed Obama and only 33 have endorsed McCain.

  15. #15
    purecarnagge
    purecarnagge's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 10-05-07
    Posts: 4,826
    Betpoints: 18

    I think having Powell as a 4 star general thats very well known and politically integrated will finish the shoring up of Obama's commander in chief credentials.

    McCain has bad judgement and seems lost on the economy. McCains campaign's seemed lost from day 1.....

    Not that I think Obama is great, but he's handled himself very well. McCain doesn't know what to do now that the negative attacks haven't worked...

  16. #16
    TPowell
    TPowell's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 02-21-08
    Posts: 17,586
    Betpoints: 4829

    seriously does anybody else see this as "I'm black, I want a black president"? I'm not a racist IMO, but thats what it seems like to me

  17. #17
    reno cool
    the meaning of harm
    reno cool's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-02-08
    Posts: 3,567

    I'm sure there's a lot of that. But is there anything wrong with that?

    Of course there's also a lot of I'm weary of blacks and don't want a black pres.

  18. #18
    FRITO
    FRITO's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 10-31-07
    Posts: 19

    Quote Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
    It's nice - and somewhat amazing given the ongoing political climate - to see someone acting based on what's best for the country instead of brainlessly following a party in zombie-like fashion.

    Great decision. Great example for the country.

    HIP HIP HOORAY - good to see someone with common sense

  19. #19
    slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 10-06-05
    Posts: 12,262
    Betpoints: 5385

    Quote Originally Posted by TPowell View Post
    seriously does anybody else see this as "I'm black, I want a black president"? I'm not a racist IMO, but thats what it seems like to me
    I agree.

    I almost think Powell has built up his entire politcal career just for an opportunity like this. Powell's endorsement might actually be heroic in a different way. In any case, he is a dead man within the GOP now.

    Regardless, Powell's military credentials cannot be taken away and does give Obama a high ranking military endorsement.

    SBR Founder Join Date: 10/6/2005


  20. #20
    Mudcat
    Mudcat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-21-05
    Posts: 9,288

    Quote Originally Posted by TPowell View Post
    seriously does anybody else see this as "I'm black, I want a black president"? I'm not a racist IMO, but thats what it seems like to me


    There are people who are thinking about race 24/7 and are always looking for things to be about race and are bound to see it that way.

    But he gave his reasons and they are about policies and abilities and character. They echo my thinking almost exactly and I'm white. So no, I see no reason to dismiss this endorsement on such a shallow basis.

    SBR Founder Join Date: 7/21/2005


  21. #21
    FRITO
    FRITO's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 10-31-07
    Posts: 19

    anybody posting the (dailykos) blog bs, just doesn't have a clue

  22. #22
    FRITO
    FRITO's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 10-31-07
    Posts: 19

    Quote Originally Posted by slacker00 View Post
    I agree.

    I almost think Powell has built up his entire politcal career just for an opportunity like this. Powell's endorsement might actually be heroic in a different way. In any case, he is a dead man within the GOP now.

    Regardless, Powell's military credentials cannot be taken away and does give Obama a high ranking military endorsement.
    POWELL is a true American that actually cares about this country and it's people.
    (he clearly doesn't give a shit what the GOP thinks of him)

  23. #23
    McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-02-06
    Posts: 2,643
    Betpoints: 175

    I dont know how anyone can say anything bad about Powell - the guy has been living in shame after what the Bush administration did to him.

    McCain always talks about 'reaching across the isle' - well, he got his wish.. Powell is reaching across. IMO, Powell should've been the Republican candidate many times now - and he would've won every time easily... And they wouldn't need a fear monger agenda to do it, like all these other twits.

  24. #24
    pimike
    SPORTS IS MONEY
    pimike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 03-23-08
    Posts: 20,880
    Betpoints: 2133



    Of course he ****ed up the war he is black , of course he back OBAMA,, DAH

    SBR Bash
    Punta Cana
    Attendee 2/4/2017

    SBR Bash
    Punta Cana
    Attendee 1/31/2015


  25. #25
    ryanXL977
    ryanXL977's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 02-24-08
    Posts: 20,615

    Quote Originally Posted by ms61853 View Post
    That's what your fellow moonbats stooped to. That's the way you moonbats treat any black who doesn't follow the Democratic Party plantation line (see Condoleeza Rice, Clarence Thomas)
    its pretty universally accepted that clarence thomas isnt qualified. nobody ever said scalia or roberts arent.
    same with rice, she is not qualified and never was

Top