mtneer1212
    mtneer1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3369

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- A strip mall in Castleton Corners served as home base for a sophisticated online betting scheme, and its head bragged that he ran the operation so well he should have been in charge of the state’s failed OTB, authorities allege.

By as recently as last month Joseph Stentella, 56, had about 600 people placing bets through his sprawling operation, with gamblers betting on horse races, football, basketball, hockey and mixed martial arts, according to federal documents.

He had become so big, those documents said, that he was caught bragging about the operation in a wiretapped phone conversation in January, authorities allege:

"Stentella boasted about his illegal gambling acumen, saying, in substance, that the State-run Off-Track Betting (‘OTB’) never would have gone out of business if the state had allowed the bookmakers to run it," reads a civil property forfeiture complaint filed today by the U.S. Attorney’s office.

"Stentella was confident of his ability to run the OTB well, stating that he ‘know(s) what (he’s) doing because (he’s) been doing this for 30 years.' "

The entire operation came crashing down today, with a series of raids on Staten Island and more than 20 arrests on the Island and in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. The investigation was conducted by District Attorney Daniel Donovan’s office, the NYPD’s Organized Crime Control Bureau, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Immigrations and Customs Enforcement Bureau, the New Jersey Attorney General and the U.S. Attorney for New York’s Eastern District.

Authorities also raided Pawz & Clawz Pet Supplies at 923 Manor Rd., the former Monte's Video.
    Police arrested Stentella when they raided his 338 Westwood Ave. home early this morning, charging him with enterprise corruption, promoting gambling and money laundering.

Authorities also raided Pawz & Clawz Pet Supplies at 923 Manor Rd., the former Monte’s Video, which is located in a strip mall owned by a company run by Stentella’s wife, Maryann McCue Stentella.

The operation’s Web site, www.betjerrys.com, has been up since June 2001, according to cached Web archives. It’s since been replaced by a message saying the domain name has been seized by Homeland Security officials.

Even so, at least two of the phone numbers listed on an old version of the Web page appeared to be still taking bets — a man answering the phone asked for an account number and password.

When informed he was speaking to a reporter seeking comment, the man said, "I’m sorry sir, I can’t give you any information... No one can."

The strip mall served as Stentella’s base, the federal complaint alleges — he kept an office in Monte’s, where the operation’s members maintained records, watched video surveillance of a Staten Island "wire room" at 29 Sunset Ave. in Meiers Corners where the operation accepted bets, dropped off and stored deliveries of cash, and set up meetings with bettors and runners.

It’s the same strip mall where a detective in January opened fire on a drug suspect who allegedly drove his car into the officer.

Stentella changed the operation’s phones monthly, and in February 2010, he moved the wire room to Costa Rica, traveling there with his son Anthony, and another suspect, Freddy Miranda, to supervise the switch, authorities said.

In January 2009, detectives walked into Monte’s and found "only VHS tapes for rent" there, the federal complaint reads. "Generally, the VHS tapes included only obsolete movie titles. Further observation of pedestrian traffic entering and exiting Monte’s over a two-year- period showed no customers entering or leaving Monte’s with videos."

This past January, Stentella and his subordinates decided to turn the place into a more believable front, a pet supply company, authorities said.

Federal authorities are seeking to seize the entire strip mall, Stentella’s house, and two other locations — 46 Myrna Ln. in Arden Heights, and 257 Collfield Ave. in Willowbrook.

The Myrna Lane address was owned by the late Gerard Igneri — who authorities describe as a "sheet holder" or "runner" for the organization, responsible for soliciting bettors, settling individual wagers, and paying out to winners.

It now belongs to his wife, Rose, who authorities allege continued to field calls from runners, call bets into the wire room, and manage others lower in the organization’s hierarchy after her husband’s death last July.

The Collfield Avenue address belongs to Stentella’s first wife, Aida Stentella, according to federal court papers. His son, Anthony, also lives there and ran betting operations from the address, authorities allege.

The civil complaint offers a breakdown of the organization, alleging its members took on a variety of roles:

-- the "bookmaker," Joseph Stentella,

-- the "chief accountant," Steven Caranante,

-- the "chief clerks," Freddy Miranda and Anthony Stentella, Stentella’s son

-- the money collectors, Nedzad (Najo) Karastanovic, his wife, Salena Karastanovic, Thomas Trapas, Keith Mory and Daniel Venditti,

-- the "sheet holders" or "runners," Karastanovic, Trapas, James Fischetti, the late Gerard Ingeri, and his wife Rose.

It’s unclear who in the civil complaint will face criminal charges — authorities are planning a press conference for 2 p.m. today.

ryanjep
    ryanjep's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11243

interesting read thanks for posting the article. like hearing about local operations

mtneer1212
    mtneer1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3369

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    no biggie

maybe one guy gets a year or so jail and the rest probation

all good things come to an end I guess although they will be back up and running in 6 months

I think it is a little bigger than that, JJ. 73 counts and Federal intervention...... they didn't get nailed by some Staten Island cop.

wtf
    wtf's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 61

you should have cased his operation and knocked him off trigger, big score for you

too late now

ttrace35
    ttrace35's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1782

Quote Originally Posted by wtf View Post
    you should have cased his operation and knocked him off trigger, big score for you

too late now
    Maybe. But maybe not. Rather rob some heavy drug dealers. Safer.

Hoja Verdes
    Broncos Under 7.5 Wins -105
    Hoja Verdes's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 169

Quote Originally Posted by ttrace35 View Post
    I never knew how big this operation was. I onlt dealt with tommy or go to that video store. A local to me is someone close by that takes your action. I knew they were mob affiliated thought. I got into 2 fights in that strip mall that they own. There is a projects 2 blocks away. After the second fight, my little homeboy put a gun in some kids mouth at the 24 hour deli, in that strip mall. When I went to make a payment, the italians pulled me in the back room and. Threatened me to stop causing trouble. Then they shook my hand a laughed telling me how gangster I was. But told me do the gangster shit somewhere else. Of course. I listened.
    Dude, youre so gangster.50 cent ain't got shit on you.

ttrace35

Quote Originally Posted by Hoja Verdes View Post
    Dude, youre so gangster.50 cent ain't got shit on you.
    Who's 50 cent?

ttrace35

Oh. Rap music. You guys are funny. Don't believe me, but believe gangster rappers. Unreal.

jennahazeplays
    jennahazeplays's Avatar Become A Pro!

damn smh shits happenin in my town 2. **** da polica

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Tracer should be a writer for movies

patswin
    patswin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10189

Glad the streets are safer now that this guy was busted, lol

ttrace35

Tracer should be a writer for movies
    Jj should be an actor for cartoons
    Maybe the smurfs

ttrace35

Quote Originally Posted by SpreadSniper View Post
    They have a public domain on the INTERNET... run the operation from somewhere in the U.S and Im sure have more enemies than friends....

Is it really hard to fathom that some rinky dink operation run by a local who bit off more than they could chew got popped?

Rinky dink operation this isn't canada pal

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Jj should be an actor for cartoons
    Maybe the smurfs

nosniboR11
    fu
    nosniboR11's Avatar Become A Pro!

Why you so hard on crime noser? Criminals got to eat too. You do know that internet gambling is not legal, right
    you are not serious right, Criminals are the trash of society, and no criminals do not need to eat. By the way, I am far from clueless, while you were in PRISON , I was in College. Big difference.

now go try and tell some people how great prison is.

ttrace35

Quote Originally Posted by nosniboR11 View Post
    you are not serious right, Criminals are the trash of society, and no criminals do not need to eat. By the way, I am far from clueless, while you were in PRISON , I was in College. Big difference.

now go try and tell some people how great prison is.
    When did I say you were clueless?

That means I'm clueless about wtf your talkin about. This was a gambling ring. Harmless. These guy were doing the same shit that an offshore book does. How can you get on them when you do the same thing asshole? College doesn't make you smart dikkhead. Experience makes you smart. Go troll in someone elses thread.
    fukkin dikk head has a thing against bookies, but is a regular on and internet sports betting forum
    You can't make this shit up.

jjgold

Tracer your walking a fine line here

Some guy is eventually going to lay you out if it is not me first

ttrace35

Tracer your walking a fine line here

Some guy is eventually going to lay you out if it is not me first
    I just call stupid how I see it. Dude came in my thread talking this stupid shit. He has a beef with bookies. As if they are real criminals. If you don't like me, that's kool. But how you gonna hate bookies when your a regular on here. Doesn't make any sense.

jjgold

Tracer are you a bookie?

ttrace35

Tracer are you a bookie?
    Jj are you homosexual?

ttrace35

Jj are you homosexual?

beanbag
    cracker ass fantastic
    beanbag's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

oh shit everything is going downhill hahaha everybody is freaking out these days

griz
    FEB 2012 POTM
    griz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 607

Fukkin gangsta trace, how u have time to be so gangsta when u spend so much time posting. U must be one tired white guy in the burbs

ttrace35

Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    Fukkin gangsta trace, how u have time to be so gangsta when u spend so much time posting. U must be one tired white guy in the burbs
    Oh god. Here we go again. Except, your nobody to waste my time with. Yessir. I'm a white guy that sits on the computer all day. Have a good one pal

wtf
    wtf's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 61

you are laughing at your own joke so you can bump this lame thread

ttrace35

Quote Originally Posted by wtf View Post
    you are laughing at your own joke so you can bump this lame thread
    Yes

Fa11en
    Fa11en's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3898

Tracer, I don't think people would "attack" you as much if you did not come across as the most desperate poster who feels as if they have something to prove.

jonmic
    jonmic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9062

thats crazy, but won't get in any serious trouble

ttrace35

Quote Originally Posted by Fa11en View Post
    Tracer, I don't think people would "attack" you as much if you did not come across as the most desperate poster who feels as if they have something to prove.
    Desparate I been dealing with this for months. You seem to be new here. I made one video hoping for people to see who I am. I don't give a fukk anymore. If I did I would be making video after video. People know I'm real. Just like to bust my balls cuz its fun. I don't really give a fukk

natedawg
    natedawg's Avatar Become A Pro!

tracey...whoever

joe stantellas book never stopped. he just moved it too his house. tracey you sound like you know a few of these guys. I cant say for the runners but JS was a connected guy who goes back to 'piney' and joe the blonde. maybe some of you local guys know who i mean. he recieved probation, didnt even spend the night in jail. got popped, got bail, and set up shop in his home lol. joe stant is one of the bigger bms on the island, tony v. is another. they got nothing on porkys office tho.

GamblerSpirit
    TheCentaur, Spankie gone fishing :(
    GamblerSpirit's Avatar Become A Pro!

Trigget snitches get stitches.. Not cool dropping dimes

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

sweep
    USA! USA! USA!
    sweep's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2457

Italians do not do business with blacks/End thread
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: NYSportsGuy210

NYSportsGuy210
    NYSportsGuy210's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 131

I never knew how big this operation was. I onlt dealt with tommy or go to that video store. A local to me is someone close by that takes your action. I knew they were mob affiliated thought. I got into 2 fights in that strip mall that they own. There is a projects 2 blocks away. After the second fight, my little homeboy put a gun in some kids mouth at the 24 hour deli, in that strip mall. When I went to make a payment, the italians pulled me in the back room and. Threatened me to stop causing trouble. Then they shook me for $5,000 and threatened to make my family and I disappear if I came around pretending to be a gangster again. They told me to get the f*ck out of their neighborhood or else. Of course. I listened.

There fixed it for you with the truth.

NYSportsGuy210
    NYSportsGuy210's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 131

First 123 Last