Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1557

If you're serious about change in the US....

Hands Off Internet Gambling

by Ron Paul

Before the Financial Services Committee Subcommittee on Domestic & International Monetary Policy of the US House of Representatives, April 2, 2008: Hearing on Proposed UIGEA Regulations

Mr. Chairman, I stand opposed to the regulations being discussed today because I opposed the underlying bill upon which these regulations are based. The ban on Internet gambling infringes upon two freedoms that are important to many Americans: the ability to do with their money as they see fit, and the freedom from government interference with the Internet.

The proper role of the federal government is not that of a nanny, protecting citizens from any and every potential negative consequence of their actions. Although I personally believe gambling to be a dumb waste of money, American citizens should be just as free to spend their money playing online poker as they should be able to buy a used car, enter into a mortgage, or invest in a hedge fund. Risk is inherent in any economic activity, and it is not for the government to determine which risky behaviors Americans may or may not engage in.

The Internet is a powerful tool, and any censorship of Internet activity sets a dangerous precedent. Many Americans rely on the Internet for activities as varied as watching basketball games, keeping up on international news broadcasts, or buying food and clothing. In the last few years we have seen ominous signs of the federal government's desire to control the Internet. The ostensible reasons are to protect Americans from sex offenders, terrorists, and the evils of gambling, but once the door is open to government intrusion, there is no telling what legitimate activity, especially political activity, might fall afoul of government authorities.

The regulations and underlying bill also force financial institutions to act as law enforcement officers. This is another pernicious trend that has accelerated in the aftermath of the Patriot Act, the deputization of private businesses to perform intrusive enforcement and surveillance functions that the federal government is unwilling to perform on its own.

In conclusion, I urge my colleagues to oppose these new regulations and support Chairman Frank's HR 2046, of which I am a cosponsor. Although this bill has been criticized by some for its regulatory aspects, this act does not create any new federal laws and merely ensures that Internet gambling firms comply with existing federal law. The passage of HR 2046 would restore the right of Americans to decide for themselves whether or not to gamble online

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24866

We're fukkkkked

cant call it
    BAMA UP!!!
    cant call it's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 455

Love some Ron Paul

beerman2619
    beerman2619's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 459

At a boy Ron Paul

cant call it
    BAMA UP!!!
    cant call it's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 455

I had a sign in my yard for a while after the last election.
    ron paul 2008
    "I tried to tell you"

cops came and took it down.
    fukks

pronk
    pronk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Call your senator, call your congressman and warn those idiots about the consequences

muldoon
    muldoon's Avatar Become A Pro!

Paul would be 80 at the end of term one.

Seems sharp, but so did Reagan to many people.

yahoonino
    yahoonino's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1461

ron paul for president

Bluehorseshoe

Quote Originally Posted by muldoon View Post
    Paul would be 80 at the end of term one.

Seems sharp, but so did Reagan to many people.

That's fine. I'm sick of both parties. I'll take a shot next election.

patswin
    patswin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10189

i will vote for this guy in 2012

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO
    King Mayan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3679

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehorseshoe View Post
    That's fine. I'm sick of both parties. I'll take a shot next election.

Affirmed3
    Affirmed3's Avatar Become A Pro!

Socrates
    Socrates's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 113

interesting thread. and opinions as well.

ChileCheese
    ChileCheese's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 256

Quote Originally Posted by pronk View Post
    Call your senator, call your congressman and warn those idiots about the consequences
    Consequences of what exactly? Im curious.

pronk
    pronk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Quote Originally Posted by ChileCheese View Post
    Consequences of what exactly? Im curious.
    Take a wild guess

jarvol
    jarvol's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3670

98% of Americans are so void of critical thinking skills that the 2 party destruction of a free America will never be overcome. The ignorant sheep just get led to slaughter every November.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: cant call it

Swinging Johnson
    Swinging Johnson's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5614

Quote Originally Posted by jarvol View Post
    98% of Americans are so void of critical thinking skills that the 2 party destruction of a free America will never be overcome. The ignorant sheep just get led to slaughter every November.
    98%? Thank you for researching this and also articulating how we've been whittled down to 2 parties from the original 123 that we had only a short time ago.

ChileCheese
    ChileCheese's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 256

Quote Originally Posted by pronk View Post
    Take a wild guess
    That you wont vote for them? A backlash will ensue? Yes, no?

Deuce
    Eddie Mush
    Deuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3519

Would be great if legalizing gambling in the US was our first priority.

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

most of us americans have been brainwashed since birth to call any "critical thinking skills" a wild conspiracy theory. and to try and wake up the masses is pretty futile, they will either realize some of these truths on their own or they will continue sleep walking through life.

most americans are too busy running the rat race to stop and ask themselves who designed the race and why they are running in it.

i have tried for 10 years and running to explain that there would be no reason for "muslim extremists" to attack us on 9/11 - what benefit did they gain other than get their region bombed to smithereens and their friends and neighbors killed? but for some reason those 98% (even with every single detail of 9/11 proving otherwise) seem to think that people smart enough to overtake the u.s. military are dumb enough to pick on the biggest bully in the world because they hate our freedom...

Deuce
    Eddie Mush
    Deuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3519

Quote Originally Posted by milwaukee mike View Post
    most of us americans have been brainwashed since birth to call any "critical thinking skills" a wild conspiracy theory. and to try and wake up the masses is pretty futile, they will either realize some of these truths on their own or they will continue sleep walking through life. most americans are too busy running the rat race to stop and ask themselves who designed the race and why they are running in it. i have tried for 10 years and running to explain that there would be no reason for "muslim extremists" to attack us on 9/11 - what benefit did they gain other than get their region bombed to smithereens and their friends and neighbors killed? but for some reason those 98% (even with every single detail of 9/11 proving otherwise) seem to think that people smart enough to overtake the u.s. military are dumb enough to pick on the biggest bully in the world because they hate our freedom...
    Open a history book and it is pretty self explanatory.

drunkenbeaver
    drunkenbeaver's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 811

Although I understand what you're saying, I think a bigger reason that the 2 party system won't be overcome is because of money.

Bluehorseshoe

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    You mean like sending money to countries that do nothing for us? Staying out of wars that suck out the economy? Having lobbyists make the rules? That's the other benefits with Paul. Think of what the US would be like without all that financial hemorrhaging.

TexansFan
    TexansFan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 211

What percentage of Americans even care about gambling? I'm thinking most care about other things.

The Inevitable
    The Inevitable's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3256

Ron Paul for President will never happen. I like his stance on many things, but it's wishful thinking if you think he has a chance.

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24869

Ron Paul rules!

sportsfun
    sportsfun's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5175

ron paul is right on.

Boner_18
    Update your status
    Boner_18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1031

Yeah. This guy believes in a true gold standard. That's real astute.

vividjohn45
    vividjohn45's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 578

yeah. google. says he is running for president in 2012.. i will most definetely not be voting for obama and his nasty crew.

this guy has my vote.

Jnas
    Jnas's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8549

I love Ron Paul but unfortunately he will never win. AUDIT THE FED, FREEDOM ONLINE thats a good start. but he will never get out of the primaries

Jnas
    Jnas's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8549

Quote Originally Posted by Boner_18 View Post
    Yeah. This guy believes in a true gold standard. That's real astute.
    actually it is

vividjohn45

i mean c'mon homeland security divison vs bingofuntime..com. fukked.

government going bad on us. whole world can game online. but us homelanders going after bingofuntime.

sh.it.

vividjohn45

seriously considering upon retiring moving to mexico. (i'm 50) and get out of this communistic country. u can game online all u want there.

why live somewhere where u are not free to do what is natural.? the whole world is gaming online.

vividjohn45

why should a poker player. who plays all day. have to play tourists and only las vegans.? why can't a american get online and play poker with the soviets. (legal), chinese (legal) french (legal) brazilians (legal) canadians (legal) yugoslavians (legal) japanese (legal)

but for me as a american. i can only play live where i live. (vegas) and only against the small audience that entails.

total. corruption. and bs. and government is going the wrong way with these matters.

here for china.

http://gamingzion.com/poker/china

here for fkking. russia. http://www.onlinepoker-news.com/2009...poker_jag.aspx

here for the germans

http://gamingzion.com/poker/germany

those are three countries that we would of used to say were the worst the previous 80 years for communistic and totalitarian. government.

hard for us to say that now.
    Last edited by vividjohn45; 05-24-11 at 07:02 PM.

wiffle
    wiffle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    would be great if preventing gambling in the US wasn't "our" first priority.

12 Last