ritehook
    ritehook's Avatar Become A Pro!

College 3 Pt Shot Will be Foot Longer This Year

It's a foot longer this year. Purpose being to discourage the 3 pt jumper.

I noted this in another thread, but it's of interest to me so figured I'd give it its own

hoopster42
    hoopster42's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by ritehook View Post
    It's a foot longer this year. Purpose being to discourage the 3 pt jumper.

I noted this in another thread, but it's of interest to me so figured I'd give it its own
    the purpose is not necessarily to discourage the 3 pointer, as most teams will still be shooting it just as much

the purpose is more to open up the floor a bit to allow the big guys inside to work down low without getting doubled so easily, as well as to open up lanes for drives to the basket. the ncaa wants the college game to have some of the exciting drives to the basket that the nba has

by moving the 3 pt arc out just one foot, you move the perimeter defenders out enough to where it opens up lots of space in the lane and inside the arc

playing zone and only defending out to 19 ft 9 inches was too easy with the old line and was clogging up the lane making the game nothing but 3 pters all game long. as i said, most teams will still shoot tons of threes, but this new rule will encourage more athletic players and big men to stay in school where they can actually have room to work and strut their stuff in the college game with more room inside and wider lanes to drive through

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Any team with size will do better here, scoring will be lower

Think unders

SSLP
    SSLP's Avatar Become A Pro!

good thinking coach

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

This is good for the overs. Since most NBA teams shoot less than 30% with previous line that means that the 1 ft pushed back line will drop down the percentage to less than 25%. This will in turn open up the defenses since most teams will be playing for the easy two point shot or getting in to the foul line more often since teams won't be fouling a low percentage 3 point shoot.

Watch out for the overs to shoot higher this year.

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

I'm still not sure how much it will affect scoring in the long run. The real mystery is how it might affect totals being set, especially early on in the season when the books aren't real clear on the exact effect at a time of the season the lines are discombobulated to begin with.

THEGREAT30
    A man in need is a man exposed
    THEGREAT30's Avatar Become A Pro!

yeah i will be on a lot of second halves early