chrisharvard01
    chrisharvard01's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 145

Do you know Steve Bartman?

Do you know Steve Bartman?

You're looking at Steve Bartman, wearing his now-famous Cubs cap and headphones, who deflected a foul ball away from Cubs left fielder Moises Alou in Game 6 of the 2003 NLCS against the Florida Marlins.

Bartman was sitting in the front row along the left field corner wall behind the bullpen when a pop foul off the bat of Castillo drifted toward his seat.

Cubs left fielder Moises Alou approached the seats, jumped, and reached into the crowd. Bartman and nearby fans also attempted to catch the ball, deflecting it away.

Alou slammed his glove down in frustration and was seen shouting at several fans.

Just to set the tone on this, CHICAGO was ahead 3-0 and holding a 3 games to 2 lead in the best of 7 series.

If Alou had caught the ball, it would have been the second out in the inning, and the Cubs would have been just four outs away from winning the National League pennant.

But, sh_it happens, and so does STEVE BARTMAN.

FLORIDA went on to score 8 runs after the incident. The CUBS did not make the WS.

Folks that hate the CUBS say that cubbie fans found a new scapegoat for the team’s history of futility.

Is that really true?

As a fan, would you have caught or deflected that ball? Would you have stretched your arms outs, pushed people aside to make sure no one touched it and Alou had a play on it?

Many journalists and nearly all the CUBS team believe they beat themselves! They don't think what STEVE BARTON did cost them the game.

Mark Prior (pitcher) said:

"We had chances to get out of that situation. I hung an 0-2 curve ball to Rodriguez that he hit for a single. Alex Gonzalez, who's a sure thing almost at shortstop, the ball came up on him ... and things just snowballed. Everybody in the clubhouse and management knows that play is not the reason we lost the game."

Bartman had to be lead by security for his own safety as other Cubs fans shouted sh_it him and people throwing debris and drinks at him.

Minutes after his "catch", his families personal address and phone number was on MLB and other degenerate web forums. He had police protection for some time afterwards.

Several years later Alou made a comment "he couldn't have caught that ball anyway".

At a later point, he recalled that statement saying he only wanted to make Mr Barton feel better.

Do you feel cheated or betrayed by how s_hitty the CUBS have been over the last few years when you had money riding on them?

Do you think what Steve Bartman is whore s_hit, or would have you done the same thing if it was your team?

Did it cost the CUBS the game, maybe even the WS?

*chris harvard's note; I am not a CUBS homer nor am I a fan. I've lost money on these jerks for years. Any time I win a CUBS bet I thank God for his miracle. You can't afford to be a homer in this busniess, unless you're last years fluke homer bayarea-pric. I'm a NATS fan . Doesn't mean I'm putting any coin on them, anytime soon.

guttylane
    guttylane's Avatar Become A Pro!

Steve Bartman? never heard. Bye

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Never heard. Bye

chrisharvard01

thanks Gutty for appearing in my thread.

you could have really busted my balls because at one point i typed STEVE BARTON and not BARTMAN.

Don't worry Gutty with time I'm sure you can be a true ball buster....

just remember, if you're going to be a a_sshole pric

1. take note of your surroundings

2. try to exploit yourself as a stronger poster

3. strike with said knowledge without coming off as a rookie b_itchass that has only been gambling for six months.

GL kid.

Ace_of_Spades
    Golazo De Riverrrr!
    Ace_of_Spades's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

Never heard. Bye

chrisharvard01

you guys are sharp, i'll give you that.

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

I think its really sad what happened to Steve Bartman, This guy was a huge Cubs fan. Longtime season ticket holder, attended almost every game. Its not like he was some newbie fan out there who didn't understand baseball. I think what he did was just normal human reaction.

You have to understand that this guys entire life was pretty much ruined by this one moment. Can you imagine your favorite team, that you've rooted for your whole life, basically becoming the reason you're ostracized from the hometown you've grown up in?

ESPN 30 for 30 has a segment called "Catching Hell" which explores this exact thing. It recently debuted in a sports film festival. I'm not sure when its supposed to air on ESPN, but the reviews said its an awesome doc. I'm very interested to watch it.

Good thread.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

chrisharvard01

Thanks Opie.

Thanks for talking about sports and giving a discerning post.

(instead of being a f_ucking clown and letting the door hit you in the vagina on your way out of this thread, like others)

BRAVES1985
    BRAVES1985's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1963

never heard of him or you BYE

Cap dat 4ss
    okst. -13.5
    Cap dat 4ss's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by opie1988 View Post
    I think its really sad what happened to Steve Bartman, This guy was a huge Cubs fan. Longtime season ticket holder, attended almost every game. Its not like he was some newbie fan out there who didn't understand baseball. I think what he did was just normal human reaction. You have to understand that this guys entire life was pretty much ruined by this one moment. Can you imagine your favorite team, that you've rooted for your whole life, basically becoming the reason you're ostracized from the hometown you've grown up in? ESPN 30 for 30 has a segment called "Catching Hell" which explores this exact thing. It recently debuted in a sports film festival. I'm not sure when its supposed to air on ESPN, but the reviews said its an awesome doc. I'm very interested to watch it. Good thread.
    It's supposed to air in October of 2011.

opie1988

Quote Originally Posted by Cap dat 4ss View Post

Thanks, pal.

Hope you enjoyed the game, regardless of the outcome.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

chrisharvard01

Quote Originally Posted by BRAVES1985 View Post
    never heard of him or you
    just let me prove myself bro, that's all I want is for you to know who I am. Tail me for a week, maybe it can get you headed towards the black.

lol get the f_uck out of here, rookie.

BRAVES1985
    BRAVES1985's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1963

Quote Originally Posted by chrisharvard01 View Post
    just let me prove myself bro, that's all I want is for you to know who I am. Tail me for a week, maybe it can get you headed towards the black. lol get the f_uck out of here, rookie.
    this shit is 8 years old .... get a life

GamblingMike
    Winner of The 2010 SBR Octotals Contest.
    GamblingMike's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

I think its really sad what happened to Steve Bartman, This guy was a huge Cubs fan. Longtime season ticket holder, attended almost every game. Its not like he was some newbie fan out there who didn't understand baseball. I think what he did was just normal human reaction.

You have to understand that this guys entire life was pretty much ruined by this one moment. Can you imagine your favorite team, that you've rooted for your whole life, basically becoming the reason you're ostracized from the hometown you've grown up in?

ESPN 30 for 30 has a segment called "Catching Hell" which explores this exact thing. It recently debuted in a sports film festival. I'm not sure when its supposed to air on ESPN, but the reviews said its an awesome doc. I'm very interested to watch it.

Good thread.
    Agreed about Steve Bartman.

hostile takeover
    hostile takeover's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5372

If I ever came across Bartman I'd shake his hand.

UntilTheNDofTimE
    I thought i told you that we dont stop
    UntilTheNDofTimE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 151

I think its really sad what happened to Steve Bartman, This guy was a huge Cubs fan. Longtime season ticket holder, attended almost every game. Its not like he was some newbie fan out there who didn't understand baseball. I think what he did was just normal human reaction. You have to understand that this guys entire life was pretty much ruined by this one moment. Can you imagine your favorite team, that you've rooted for your whole life, basically becoming the reason you're ostracized from the hometown you've grown up in? ESPN 30 for 30 has a segment called "Catching Hell" which explores this exact thing. It recently debuted in a sports film festival. I'm not sure when its supposed to air on ESPN, but the reviews said its an awesome doc. I'm very interested to watch it. Good thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cap dat 4ss View Post
    really last time i researched it, it was scratched all together?

chrisharvard01

It just seems to me, as a diehard fan of my club...

I would NOT attempt to catch a ball that was in play.

Alou had a play on that, IMO.

Even when it's the first inning, a fly ball comes towards you-- you shew everyone away so the fielder can make the grab and get the out.

JMobile
    CM Punk -1000.5 (100X)
    JMobile's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26848

I would of made the catch. I never miss on foul balls.

chrisharvard01

Could you imagine the guys that had the f_ucking UNDER on this game? It's 3-0 suddenly your UNDER is busted and it's 3-8.

opie1988

Quote Originally Posted by UntilTheNDofTimE View Post

really last time i researched it, it was scratched all together?
    Check this out.....

http://www.indiewire.com/article/tri...he_spotlight/#

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

alou def woulda caught it and the cubs woulda gone to the ws.

i hope they lynch the guy and mount his severed head on the railing to discourage other morons from reaching out to interfere with a ball in play.

BestPlay2day
    BestPlay2day's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5051

I think we all say we would move out of the way to let our fielder catch the foul ball but when hit to you the instinct is to try and catch it.