Extra Innings
    Extra Innings's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 315

Should those with Mental Disabilities be provided exceptions under the law?

She stated. "she couldn't control what she said". Sentenced reduced from 179 to 2 days. She claimed bipolar disorder and a history for drug addiction, unclear as to her intellectual status. If you can't control you mouth stay out of public places or start posting at sbrforum.com.

chilidog
    chilidog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 956

Yes. Unfortunately, it's too difficult to accurately define what is a mental disability

Extra Innings

Quote Originally Posted by chilidog View Post
    Yes. Unfortunately, it's too difficult to accurately define what is a mental disability
    A mental disorder or mental illness is a psychological or behavioral pattern generally associated with subjective distress or disability that occurs in an individual, and which is not a part of normal development or culture.

or (in my words), anything that causing significant impairment personally, socially or professionally.

Extra Innings

I mean, at one time or another, this woman must of figured out (mind you she has a 3 year old) that she can not be around public forums where acting inappropriately will result in jail time.

ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9752

it depends, there is a difference between mental illness and stupidity. Some are really mentally ill and nobody seems to care

Extra Innings

Quote Originally Posted by ttwarrior1 View Post
    it depends, there is a difference between mental illness and stupidity. Some are really mentally ill and nobody seems to care
    Good Point

flyingillini
    flyingillini's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2187

People with developmental disabilities yes mental no

Extra Innings

Quote Originally Posted by flyingillini View Post
    People with developmental disabilities yes mental no
    Should the mentally retarded be able to have children? (perfect set up for someone to make a wise-ass comment)

Extra Innings

Pfc. David Lawrence, Mentally Ill Fort Carson Soldier, Will Plead Guilty To Murdering Afghan Detainee

An Army Sanity Board concluded in January that Lawrence had schizophrenia and post-traumatic stress disorder at the time of the shooting. The board said Lawrence was "unable to appreciate the nature and quality or wrongfulness of his conduct at the time of the alleged criminal misconduct."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._lnk3%7C214020

lolguy999
    C++ programming sucks..
    lolguy999's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 64

wow... waste to society... atleast degens contribute to the govt's debt deficit... but this..??

Fact here and really no opinion on my part whatsoever: One reasons the nazi's were so successful because they "got rid" of all mentally handicaps and some bad handicapees. Just sayin

Extra Innings

Quote Originally Posted by lolguy999 View Post
    wow... waste to society... atleast degens contribute to the govt's debt deficit... but this..??

Fact here and really no opinion on my part whatsoever: One reasons the nazi's were so successful because they "got rid" of all mentally handicaps and some bad handicapees. Just sayin
    Have you ever been around a schizophrenic, kind of a hard thing to hide. How this guy was on active duty is beyond me.

MichaelWaters
    MichaelWaters's Avatar Become A Pro!

eye for an eye. very simple. harm vs harm

chemicalbrother
    Under the Influence
    chemicalbrother's Avatar Become A Pro!

i'm going to guess and say 70% of the students i teach at the moment with end up with some sort of government assistance. SSI for the lot of them i assume.

that isn't saying that they're not going to need/deserve it when they get to be 20. most will. but then i by design work with low-income kids with IEP's because they're much more fun to deal with than college-prep sons-of-lawyers (did that too).

so, yes. those with mental issues DO need government assistance. put it like this, a lot of kids i teach will end up being able to stay out of psych wards and/or assisted living, but will have extreme problems in every day life.

what do you do with those types?

i have my opinion, but don't want to overwhelm the thread..

chemicalbrother
    Under the Influence
    chemicalbrother's Avatar Become A Pro!

for example: let's take an extremely smart kid, like straight a's in every class, crushes standardized tests, writes awesome above grade-level papers, etc. but in 9th grade he has the social skills of a 1st grader. daily screaming fits, kicked out of classes twice daily, yells out 'sex! poop! rape!' or whatever he thinks will get a rise at the time.

what do you do with him? keeping in mind that his IQ is higher than yours.

anything that frustrates him or confuses him completely and irreversibly sets him off.

going forward, he's not going to be able to hold a job. what should his fate be?

Extra Innings

Quote Originally Posted by chemicalbrother View Post
    i'm going to guess and say 70% of the students i teach at the moment with end up with some sort of government assistance. SSI for the lot of them i assume.

that isn't saying that they're not going to need/deserve it when they get to be 20. most will. but then i by design work with low-income kids with IEP's because they're much more fun to deal with than college-prep sons-of-lawyers (did that too).

so, yes. those with mental issues DO need government assistance. put it like this, a lot of kids i teach will end up being able to stay out of psych wards and/or assisted living, but will have extreme problems in every day life.

what do you do with those types?

i have my opinion, but don't want to overwhelm the thread..
    IEP's aren't real life. Don't get me wrong, I think they are definitely necessary, especially for the intellectually disabled but pretty useless when the goals aren't developmentally/academically appropriate. I work with kids in the 8th grade that can't read, I have a mildly retarded client that doesn't know his date of birth or phone number. The first case is because his mom does all his reading for him, in the second, the parents don't care.

In the end, cops and bosses won't care if you have ADHD.

Extra Innings

Quote Originally Posted by chemicalbrother View Post
    for example: let's take an extremely smart kid, like straight a's in every class, crushes standardized tests, writes awesome above grade-level papers, etc. but in 9th grade he has the social skills of a 1st grader. daily screaming fits, kicked out of classes twice daily, yells out 'sex! poop! rape!' or whatever he thinks will get a rise at the time.

what do you do with him? keeping in mind that his IQ is higher than yours.

anything that frustrates him or confuses him completely and irreversibly sets him off.

going forward, he's not going to be able to hold a job. what should his fate be?

When he acts up I kick his ass out of the class. I would make class participation 25% of the grade.
    IQ will get him to a certain point and then about the first year of college he'll start struggling because of the achievement gap. With the poor social skills he is going to face significant problems facing the demands of independent curriculum.