VegasInsider
    Update your status
    VegasInsider's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Has Anyone Read The Book 'Scorecasting'?

It's by Moskowitz and takes a look at the at the deep statistics of sports. It's like Freakonomics by Levitt, but for sports. Just picked it up the other day and it's really interesting after the first 20 pages.

JohnGalt2341
    46 and 2 are just ahead of me
    JohnGalt2341's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3616

Quote Originally Posted by VegasInsider View Post
    It's by Moskowitz and takes a look at the at the deep statistics of sports. It's like Freakonomics by Levitt, but for sports. Just picked it up the other day and it's really interesting after the first 20 pages.
    I loved Freakonomics. I'll definitely have to check it out.

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J
    ngates815's Avatar Become A Pro!

Just wondering, is there a chapter on stiffing people?

VegasInsider
    Update your status

I don't know, haven't gotten that far yet. But I'll be sure to let you know when everyone is paid up in full, since you're concerned.

Deuce
    Eddie Mush
    Deuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3519

Reading it right now, actually.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

If you bet based only on statistics you will lose. You think the Heat beating the Bulls last night had anything to do with statistics? You got Lebron on your team throw the statistics in the gutter and watch him dominate the game.

nosniboR11
    fu
    nosniboR11's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by VegasInsider View Post
    I don't know, haven't gotten that far yet. But I'll be sure to let you know when everyone is paid up in full, since you're concerned.
    when is that going to happen again?

gates when if he ever pays me you will get 100 points

VegasInsider
    Update your status

I agree, Pavy. I don't think betting on statistics alone is a good way to go about gambling. It's just interesting how the book seems to prove some common misconceptions with algorithms and such. Decent read if you've already read Freakonomics and you're a sports fan.

BrianLaverty
    BrianLaverty's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    If you bet based only on statistics you will lose. You think the Heat beating the Bulls last night had anything to do with statistics? You got Lebron on your team throw the statistics in the gutter and watch him dominate the game.
    Yeah.... just like he did against the Celtics last year? Or better yet... Game 1 of this series?

Lebron is a joke.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Quote Originally Posted by BrianLaverty View Post
    Yeah.... just like he did against the Celtics last year? Or better yet... Game 1 of this series?

Lebron is a joke.
    The point is if you capped last night's game based on Game 1 you lost money last night. Because if you went by Game 1 statistics the Bulls were clearly the play last night which didn't materialize on the field because the games are played by humans and not by a geek sitting behind a computer punching numbers.
    Last edited by pavyracer; 05-19-11 at 02:31 PM.

FreeFall
    FreeFall's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2391

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    The point is if you capped last night's game based on Game1 game you lost money last night. Because if you went by Game 1 statistics the Bulls were clearly the play last night which didn't materialize on the field because the games are played by humans and not by a geek sitting behind a computer punching numbers.
    you don't cap games based on one sample of statistics. Your statistical significance would be shit.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Quote Originally Posted by FreeFall View Post
    you don't cap games based on one sample of statistics. Your statistical significance would be shit.
    You can't use the statistics of Bulls/Hawks and Heat/Celtics and apply them to Bulls/Heat series since you are not comparing apples and apples but apples and oranges.