jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Hockey Shoot Outs Misrepresent Better team

Who made this rule up? Shootouts do not determine who the better team is but who got luck guessing right in the shootout, any average hockey player can score in a shootout, it is just pure luck who wins after the OT period.

Silly rule

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

better than those ****o ties they had before

SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar Become A Pro!

Sounds to me like legal action should be taken.

Richkas
    Richkas's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Who made this rule up? Shootouts do not determine who the better team is but who got luck guessing right in the shootout, any average hockey player can score in a shootout, it is just pure luck who wins after the OT period.

Silly rule

thats why no shootouts in playoffs

element1286
    element1286's Avatar Become A Pro!

I wasn't really a fan of it when it was first adopted. But I have come to enjoy them. And the other option is a tie, and I think this is better. In the regular season, I don't think it is a bad idea, there are so many games that the better teams should win in the long run.

And it is not as easy to score in a shootout as you might think.

Richkas

Quote Originally Posted by element1286 View Post
    I wasn't really a fan of it when it was first adopted. But I have come to enjoy them. And the other option is a tie, and I think this is better. In the regular season, I don't think it is a bad idea, there are so many games that the better teams should win in the long run.

And it is not as easy to score in a shootout as you might think.
    I seen Nicky deke a goalie at will in his video

element1286

Quote Originally Posted by Richkas View Post
    I seen Nicky deke a goalie at will in his video
    On foot doesn't count.

Richkas

Quote Originally Posted by element1286 View Post
    On foot doesn't count.

ic

Deuce
    Eddie Mush
    Deuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3519

This guy knows nothing about hockey. Stop now.

Nicky Santoro
    Nicky Santoro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9461

shootouts to decide a game is the stupidest thing ever invented in sports history. it's a dumb way to decide a game. it was only put in for the fans to make the game more interesting in the US cause no one in the US cares about hockey..

It is such a stupid idea.. they've ruined the game.. i never thought i'd see the day where shootouts would decide an NHL game.. once game goes to shootout, there is no advantage for any team.. even if DET plays columbus.. it's 50-50.. great teams last year were crappy at shootouts, while some bad teams were untouchable.

it's so freakin stupid. It's a disgrace for the game. It makes the NHL look bad.

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky Santauro View Post
    shootouts to decide a game is the stupidest thing ever invented in sports history. it's a dumb way to decide a game. it was only put in for the fans to make the game more interesting in the US cause no one in the US cares about hockey..

It is such a stupid idea.. they've ruined the game.. i never thought i'd see the day where shootouts would decide an NHL game.. once game goes to shootout, there is no advantage for any team.. even if DET plays columbus.. it's 50-50.. great teams last year were crappy at shootouts, while some bad teams were untouchable.

it's so freakin stupid. It's a disgrace for the game. It makes the NHL look bad.

So you prefer a Tie? It may not be the best solution, the best would be to keep playing till someone scores, but that isn't going to happen outside of the playoffs..however i'll take this ALL the time over the Fvcking Tie games they had before

Deuce
    Eddie Mush
    Deuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3519

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Ties are better than shootout wins and has more meaning.

Does the NBA take foul shots after a game ends tied in regulation to determine a winner?

starboots
    starboots's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    hahaha

donjuan
    donjuan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7537

Why do we need to not have ties in the regular season?

themajormt
    Yanks!!
    themajormt's Avatar Become A Pro!

I do agree that the shootouts SUCK... BUT what about when you have the over at 5 and its 2-2 going into OT... You KNOW you're getting a push this way, compared to pissing your pants the whole time praying for a goal for a push. I like the shootouts in OT for regular season. Keeps the teams aggressive!

donjuan
    donjuan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7537

Totals are adjusted for shootouts.

reno cool
    the meaning of harm
    reno cool's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think shootouts are great.

some good creative skill on display. Thats a good thing.

Luck is getting a bounce of a defensemans foot in the 3rd overtime period when both teams are tired.

Nicky Santoro
    Nicky Santoro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9461

Quote Originally Posted by themajormt View Post
    BUT what about when you have the over at 5 and its 2-2 going into OT... You KNOW you're getting a push this way, compared to pissing your pants the whole time praying for a goal for a push

like donny said, they are adjusted for OT and Shootouts.. so basically, when a total is 5.. had there not been SO in NHL, that total would be 4.5 ov -125, instead of 5 flat.. so in essence, when game ends 3-2 or 4-1, you'd be getting a win, rather than a push.. so SO could be hurting you.

the way i'd do rather see it, is play 4 on 4 till someone scores.. the avg OT will go about 5-6 minutes before someone scores.. doublet OT's would hardly ever happen.. game would be decided fast.. forget the joke of shootouts.. they make a mockery of the game..

Does baseball have home run hitting contests to decide extra innings? How funny would that be??

blittydeuce
    blittydeuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1758

so does NFL OT

Dashwood Clipper
    Dashwood Clipper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

I am not a huge fan of the shootout, as the better team doesnt always win. It is a crapshoot, as even the better talent doesnt always prevail. What bothers me most about the NHL OT system in general:

A team wins in regulation time and earns two points.
    Now two teams go into OT, with a point each, with the winner gaining an additional point, making that game worth 3 points. OT games are worth 3 points while regulation game is worth 2.

element1286

Quote Originally Posted by Dashwood Clipper View Post
    I am not a huge fan of the shootout, as the better team doesnt always win. It is a crapshoot, as even the better talent doesnt always prevail. What bothers me most about the NHL OT system in general:

A team wins in regulation time and earns two points.
    Now two teams go into OT, with a point each, with the winner gaining an additional point, making that game worth 3 points. OT games are worth 3 points while regulation game is worth 2.
    Yes, that is definitely a bigger issue for me than the shootout.

Miser
    Miser's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 17

The shootout is made for the American fans. We like action and winners and losers. But I liked it better as a tie. 2 teams that battled deserve a point each. At least the loser in a shootout gets 1 point.

Dashwood Clipper
    Dashwood Clipper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Quote Originally Posted by Miser View Post
    The shootout is made for the American fans. We like action and winners and losers. But I liked it better as a tie. 2 teams that battled deserve a point each. At least the loser in a shootout gets 1 point.
    I agree that it is made for American fans. I would have no problems with shootout loser getting 1 point. But regulation winner should get 3, as that is what OT games are worth.

Brady2Moss
    Brady2Moss's Avatar Become A Pro!

Good teams beat other teams in regulation/ot and dont rely on shootouts to make the playoffs...

reno cool
    the meaning of harm
    reno cool's Avatar Become A Pro!

I agree that a game should only be worth 2 points, no matter what