daggerkobe
    UCONN PK MICH PK PROVIDENCE +2
    daggerkobe's Avatar Become A Pro!

Does anyone play at Pokerstars or Fulltiltpoker?

I just started playing at their play money tables and was wondering what would be the point of winning $50k or $100k fake money? Can you trade them in for prizes or is it just for bragging rights?

I.R.B
    I.R.B's Avatar Become A Pro!

It for Free play... Thats it... the more Free chips you get the higher risk tables you can play at... No prize but there are free turnys you can play at to win real money only thing is you would have to win or come in 3rd or better in 3 turnys with about 100 people each turny.

Mudcat
    Mudcat's Avatar Become A Pro!

I play at Pokerstars some.

There is very little point to the play money tables other than just getting used to the lay of the land. People don't play properly at them - they are unnaturally loose and silly with their betting - so you can't gauge how well you're playing.

If you can't win at the play money tables, just turn away from poker and never look back.

Bragging rights for large play money balances? There probably are people who look at it that way. It seems like a lot of wasted time to me but I'm sure it is an ongoing hobby for some people.

SBR Founder Join Date: 7/21/2005

LVHerbie
    LVHerbie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1173

you used to be able to sell play money for a few bucks if you got to several million or whatever... it was through third party sites and I don't know if they still allow it or not... if I was in your position and wanted to try out the site I would try freerolls or just deposit like ten dollars and play at the lowest micro stakes....Poker isn't poker without having some monetary risk/reward involved...

SBR Bash
    Punta Cana
    Attendee 1/31/2015

SBR Founder Join Date: 9/15/2005

LVHerbie
    LVHerbie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1173

Quote Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
    I play at Pokerstars some.

There is very little point to the play money tables other than just getting used to the lay of the land. People don't play properly at them - they are unnaturally loose and silly with their betting - so you can't gauge how well you're playing.

If you can't win at the play money tables, just turn away from poker and never look back.

Bragging rights for large play money balances? There probably are people who look at it that way. It seems like a lot of wasted time to me but I'm sure it is an ongoing hobby for some people.
    On Fulltilt you could sit at the lowest sng free money tables and immediately sit out after it starts and show a "profit" without ever playing any hands... they might have change the structure since then but I doubt it as I'm sure free tables aren't a huge priority for them...

SBR Bash
    Punta Cana
    Attendee 1/31/2015

SBR Founder Join Date: 9/15/2005

mtneer1212
    mtneer1212's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 12

I play at both. The play money tables are just to mess around, and are of no use to me. I really prefer playing in the sit-n-gos or turbo tournaments. I don't like playing 4 hour tournaments. If I were you, I would deposit $50 at Full Tilt, and play the $2 or $5 tournaments to get a feel -- that way, you can play real tournament poker, without losing your whole bankroll.

Tsoprano
    Tsoprano's Avatar Become A Pro!

Great for experience for new players before actually putting money in it.

smitch124
    smitch124's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4954

Full Tilt has 5 or 6 $100 freerolls a day. They have about 3200 players and you need to come in the top 27 to cash, but they are free and the play is a LITTLE more realistic for those trying to get the lay of the land.

jjgold
    Update your status
    jjgold's Avatar Saloon Moderator
    Betpoints: 3146

I play at both but not a real active player. I play some tourneys once in a while if I am bored. Poker is pure luck and more of a crapshoot than poker.

Bald
    & Proud
    of Myself -jjgold

SBR Founder Join Date: 7/20/2005

Stiflers
    Stiflers's Avatar Become A Pro!

Hello everybody!

I play in Pokerstars but I prefer "the look" of Ultimatebet. I received 5$ (bonus) in pokerstars one week ago and now I have 10$.

ms61853
    ms61853's Avatar Become A Pro!

I wouldn't use anything but play money there.

Full Tilt Poker Took My Money But Won't Give Me My Withdrawal Or Contact Me

http://ripoffreport.com/reports/0/333/ripoff0333048.htm

fiveteamer
    Sweet berry wine!!!
    fiveteamer's Avatar Become A Pro!

ms, you did not get your money because the mail moves slow in Rapid City, South Dakota.

- Dwight Yoakam

ms61853
    ms61853's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by fiveteamer View Post
    ms, you did not get your money because the mail moves slow in Rapid City, South Dakota.

- Dwight Yoakam
    That wasn't me but just one example of complaints I've seen against them. I was considering depositing there a while back, checked them out, and the internet is full of people saying they were scammed by Full tilt.

jolub
    jolub's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by daggerkobe View Post
    I just started playing at their play money tables and was wondering what would be the point of winning $50k or $100k fake money? Can you trade them in for prizes or is it just for bragging rights?
    I made $14,000 in two week playing for fake money. I was so good at it that I desided to play for the real thing. The difference was like night and day. Real money is very different and it's much harder to win at.

FadeThePublic
    FadeThePublic's Avatar Become A Pro!

Both poker sites are rigged.

If you win you eventually give it all back on a bad beat

big joe 1212
    big joe 1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 154

play the freeroll tournaments at pokerstars
    you have to finish in the top 50 out of 12,000 to advance, and then in round 2 you can win some real money for nothing. it is really just pocket change though, if you survive!
    this is a better way to learn, rather than play money.

SBR Bash
    Punta Cana
    Attendee 2/4/2017

daggerkobe
    UCONN PK MICH PK PROVIDENCE +2
    daggerkobe's Avatar Become A Pro!

I won 50,000 on one hand today..... flush on the river.

AgainstAllOdds
    From the Villas to world #1
    AgainstAllOdds's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Poker is pure luck and more of a crapshoot than poker.
    wrong

Quote Originally Posted by FadeThePublic View Post
    Both poker sites are rigged.

If you win you eventually give it all back on a bad beat
    LOL.

One word of advice for both of you...play when the odds are in your favor and you will win longterm.

jjgold
    Update your status
    jjgold's Avatar Saloon Moderator
    Betpoints: 3146

If Poker was that easy AOO you would not be in college, almost all poker pros are broke and the only ones with some cash are the guys getting endorsements and that is a rare few

Any type of gambling leads to no money eventually, look at stock market pros got wiped out

Bald
    & Proud
    of Myself -jjgold

SBR Founder Join Date: 7/20/2005

bookie
    bookie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 36

If you open at FullTilt be sure to open through an affiliate that can offer you 27% rakeback. It's important to do that with your first deposit or FT say screw you've deposited and you get no such bonus. And if you happen to take to poker and move up rakeback is a big deal.

SBR Founder Join Date: 8/10/2005

AgainstAllOdds
    From the Villas to world #1
    AgainstAllOdds's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    If Poker was that easy AOO you would not be in college, almost all poker pros are broke and the only ones with some cash are the guys getting endorsements and that is a rare few

Any type of gambling leads to no money eventually, look at stock market pros got wiped out
    I never said it was easy. However, it you would like to get into specifics...I have paid for about half of my current college tution with poker winnings. Furthermore, I usually have more money than my peers that are going to college and working a full time job. This is without ever winning any big tourneys and while taking plenty of bad beats.

Many people try to play poker in hopes of hitting the "big one" while I look at it as a small steady income. My point is if you play solid poker, know a little math and how to bet when the percentages are in your favor, you will win LONGTERM.

Thats it folks. Thats poker.

Poker_Beast
    Poker_Beast's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4351

I will play free money tables while in tournys to help pass the time.