Dad
    2011 Adult Entertainer of the Year
    Dad's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1086

Are you supposed to tip in this situation?

Lets say you have to go up to the counter to place your order. Then you go sit down and wait for your food, and when the food is ready they bring it to your table.

Do you tip?

I always thought you only tip when a waitress/waiter comes to your table and takes your order.

joe blow
    joe blow's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 99

Yes you tip,but in this situation i would only tip 10%

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

I tip the girl who pours my coffee at Starbucks even though I have to pick it up from the counter. I think once you walk into a restaurant and you place an order you have to tip regardless of the service. This is typical for USA.

In other countries it is much easier. They add the tip to your check and you don't need to bring a calculator to the restaurant to figure it out.

Extra Innings
    Extra Innings's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 315

Quote Originally Posted by joe blow View Post
    Yes you tip,but in this situation i would only tip 10%
    about right....

blackbeSSt
    blackbeSSt's Avatar Become A Pro!

did they refill your drink? if so then yes you tip. if they just brought you the food and you refilled your own drink, no.

griz
    FEB 2012 POTM
    griz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 607

i would not tip in this situation

i worked in restaurants all through college and i am a good tipper. but this sounds like the person is probably getting an hourly wage between 8-10 dollars an hour. not relying on tips. theres a difference. example: Panera bread pay is 8-10 an hour Kate's Restaurant and Saloon is 2.25 an hour. need to tip at kates, no need to tip at panera. guarantee the staff at these places feel same way

just my insight from being in the industry during college days

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    i would not tip in this situation

i worked in restaurants all through college and i am a good tipper. but this sounds like the person is probably getting an hourly wage between 8-10 dollars an hour. not relying on tips. theres a difference. example: Panera bread pay is 8-10 an hour Kate's Restaurant and Saloon is 2.25 an hour. need to tip at kates, no need to tip at panera. guarantee the staff at these places feel same way

just my insight from being in the industry during college days
    That's a good point but restaurants don't put a sign outside the door telling you how much they pay their waiters and it's kind of rude to ask your waiter if they work hourly or for tips. They need to take the guesswork out of the customer's hand.

JohnGalt2341
    46 and 2 are just ahead of me
    JohnGalt2341's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3691

Mr. Pink says no:
    Last edited by JohnGalt2341; 05-12-11 at 02:11 PM.

blackbeSSt

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    That's a good point but restaurants don't put a sign outside the door telling you how much they pay their waiters and it's kind of rude to ask your waiter if they work hourly or for tips. They need to take the guesswork out of the customer's hand.
    no guesswork on my behalf. if i fill up my own fukkin drink and clean my own table, which normally means its a get your own food type of place, then there's no guessing if i have to tip. thats a big hell no

linedrivr
    I'm your huckleberry
    linedrivr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 432

no, I don't tip in that situation as I was not waited on and frankly am offended that I have to fill out the zero tip on the slip in that situation. The person taking the order is paid minimum wage or better in the states for that job and is not entitled to a tip for ringing up my order.

Now tipping your $2.13 an hour waitress / waiter who is servicing you at your table is a whole different animal. I will tip 15% - 35% of the tab depending on how good the food and service is. Had a $68 tab last evening and left a $100. Service was good.

stevek173
    stevek173's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5964

I say "here's a tip - bet on the Bruins to sweep at The Greek at +1215"

Then I get slapped

Boscoe
    Boscoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 494

there's a bagel shop by my house and every time i swipe the DC they hand me the receipt to sign with tip line there. weird to tip them to just throw a bagel in a bag, but of course i always throw a buck down on it.

Dad
    2011 Adult Entertainer of the Year
    Dad's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1086

Quote Originally Posted by blackbeSSt View Post
    did they refill your drink? if so then yes you tip. if they just brought you the food and you refilled your own drink, no.
    No refill on the drink. They just bring the food to your table. Then then clean the table when you leave.

blackbeSSt

Quote Originally Posted by Dad View Post
    No refill on the drink. They just bring the food to your table. Then then clean the table when you leave.
    so you'd be tipping them for bringing your food and cleaning up? this reminds me of the "do you tip the sonic server that rolls to your car on roller skates" thread.

i say no in both cases.

Swinging Johnson
    Swinging Johnson's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5614

Quote Originally Posted by linedrivr View Post
    no, I don't tip in that situation as I was not waited on and frankly am offended that I have to fill out the zero tip on the slip in that situation. The person taking the order is paid minimum wage or better in the states for that job and is not entitled to a tip for ringing up my order.

Now tipping your $2.13 an hour waitress / waiter who is servicing you at your table is a whole different animal. I will tip 15% - 35% of the tab depending on how good the food and service is. Had a $68 tab last evening and left a $100. Service was good.
    Bingo!

Philavanh
    Philavanh's Avatar Become A Pro!

No tip if you're not eating there

BettingWizard
    BettingWizard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 102

throw a buck down if you don't feel like cleaning up

kfranz31
    kfranz31's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1914

Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    i would not tip in this situation i worked in restaurants all through college and i am a good tipper. But this sounds like the person is probably getting an hourly wage between 8-10 dollars an hour. Not relying on tips. Theres a difference. Example: Panera bread pay is 8-10 an hour kate's restaurant and saloon is 2.25 an hour. Need to tip at kates, no need to tip at panera. Guarantee the staff at these places feel same way just my insight from being in the industry during college days
    the only problem is these days is that those college days are long gone...and those people have to live off 8-10 an hour...its really not hard to let the 8-10 a hour jobs know that they are apppreciated...even a dollar.....i am not sure how they can support a family on tha salary....but it is better than nothing...a tip regardless of how much is a sign of appreciation...unless you are a waiter and get a dollar tip thats an insult......although attitude plays a major role in the tipping action...if they have an attitude then that is another story

BettingWizard
    BettingWizard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 102

If you also go to a place numerous times, you should tip every once in awhile. They'll remember you and give better service

Casperwaits
    West Side Story
    Casperwaits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

As someone that has worked in the service industry, I would not tip in that situation.

Roadtrip635
    Roadtrip635's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21078

Is there a tip jar on the counter? Is this a chain or locally owned kinda place? There are a few locally owned places that have tip jars on the counter and I usually drop a couple bucks into.

richyrich8478
    richyrich8478's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

i always tip in that situation but you def don't have to. you tip a waiter cuz they take your order and wait on you throughout the dinner or whatever.. in that situation they are just bringing out your order, thats like tipping a cook... so if they just bring out the food you def don't have to tip but its nice...

Geary22
    Geary22's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 296

i don't think a tip is really necessary in that situation. maybe a dollar in the tip jar like someone already mentioned if there is one

BRAVES1985
    BRAVES1985's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1975

fuk no

MJFtheGenius
    MJFtheGenius's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1176

I would tip her a stick of wrigley spearment

LLXC
    LLXC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10451

Depends on the place; assess the crowd and see what they are doing.

playersonly69
    playersonly69's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 142

I actually think that people tip way too much! Why on EARTH would someone tip at a coffee spot like Starbucks???

kiefynugs
    Update your status
    kiefynugs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

when in doubt just tip a buck. If every customer just tipped a buck they'd walk home with about 50 probably and thats a fair supplement to the minimum wage they are no doubt getting.

The problem is a lot of people are just too stingy to give up a dollar and too lazy to make their own food so they come to restaurants and shit on the min wagers then it's up to the people with manners to make up for it by overtipping.

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

only tip people when they provide services to you.

If you order food at the counter and someone brings it to your table, the restaurant is doing that to avoid overhead i.e. no servers

So no you dont have too tip because they are all getting paid a full hourly wage, not a waiters/waitress's wage.

kiefynugs
    Update your status
    kiefynugs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

Quote Originally Posted by brooks85 View Post
    only tip people when they provide services to you.

If you order food at the counter and someone brings it to your table, the restaurant is doing that to avoid overhead i.e. no servers

So no you dont have too tip because they are all getting paid a full hourly wage, not a waiters/waitress's wage.
    this bs. they work just as hard and walk home with 1/3 of the money

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Most guys here are barreled in and can't afford to tip

Me I would leave her $5 and smack her ass

If its a dude he gets no tip

venice2222
    venice2222's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2354

I dont tip unless someone takes my order after I sit down. Im not tipping when I place order at counter.

JohnGalt2341
    46 and 2 are just ahead of me
    JohnGalt2341's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3691

Quote Originally Posted by kiefynugs View Post
    this bs. they work just as hard and walk home with 1/3 of the money
    They work just as hard at McDonald's... do you tip them?

Doug
    Doug's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1298

If in dout, ask yourself.....

Self, What would George Costanza do in this situation ?

sportfan
    sportfan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4449

not at the fast food restaurants lol

12 Last