Pharieswheel
    Pharieswheel's Avatar Become A Pro!

Respond on Jockeys and weights

When Laffit Pincay was riding he was at the 116 to 118 pound mark pretty much his whole career, the man was amazing eating fish and nuts most of the time. He didn't need drugs to maintain weight. These stories on jocks taking coke or any other related are true, but not to maintain weight, but a snow job so they can continue the habit. When you take on the title "SPORTS ATHELETE" you have a respoinsibility to the public, especially kids. If you can't handle the job, don't do it. "The Rock", JOhn Cena, Magic Johnson, M Jordan, Kareem Jabbar, just to name a few have handled the pressure, Thank god for them!

13th Inning
    13th Inning's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2282

It's a small person's game. Sure, every now and then you get a freak like Deshawn Parker (5'-11" tall), but it will always be for the small people. It's just like how basketball is for tall people.

Many jockeys will always have to struggle to make weight, but it doesn't necessarily have to be that way. I think women jockeys have an advantage in this regard. Since they have naturally smaller frames, they don't have to punish themselves as much to make weight as the men, I wouldn't think.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

They should change the rules for horse racing. I wanted to be a jockey when I was growing up but at 6'-2" I'm too tall. How come Muggsy Bogues played in the NBA?

Rio DiNero
    using no way as way
    Rio DiNero's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 218

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    They should change the rules for horse racing. I wanted to be a jockey when I was growing up but at 6'-2" I'm too tall. How come Muggsy Bogues played in the NBA?
    Deshawn Parker is 6', he is currently 5th in the nation with 99 wins. Monute Bol also rode in a charity race at 7'7".

azimm11
    azimm11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1757

What does the average jockey look like (weight/height)??

13th Inning
    13th Inning's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2282

The weight is the issue, not necessarily the height.
    In theory, you could be 8 feet tall and still be a jockey as long as you weigh 110 lbs or so.