1. #1
    Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-13-06
    Posts: 10,245
    Betpoints: 36

    How is this not talked about when it comes to John McCain.

    Keating Five
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to: navigation, search
    Semi-protected
    Alan Cranston (D-CA)

    Dennis DeConcini (D-AZ)
    John Glenn (D-OH)

    John McCain (R-AZ)
    Donald W. Riegle (D-MI)

    The Keating Five were five United States Senators accused of corruption in 1989, igniting a major political scandal as part of the larger Savings and Loan crisis of the late 1980s and early 1990s. The five senators, Alan Cranston (D-CA), Dennis DeConcini (D-AZ), John Glenn (D-OH), John McCain (R-AZ), and Donald W. Riegle (D-MI), were accused of improperly intervening in 1987 on behalf of Charles H. Keating, Jr., chairman of the Lincoln Savings and Loan Association, which was the target of a regulatory investigation by the Federal Home Loan Bank Board (FHLBB). The FHLBB subsequently backed off taking action against Lincoln.

    Lincoln Savings and Loan collapsed in 1989, at a cost of over $3 billion to the federal government. Some 23,000 Lincoln bondholders were defrauded and many elderly investors lost their life savings. The substantial political contributions that Keating had made to each of the senators, totalling $1.3 million, attracted considerable public and media attention. After a lengthy investigation, the Senate Ethics Committee determined in 1991 that Alan Cranston, Dennis DeConcini, and Donald Riegle had substantially and improperly interfered with the FHLBB in its investigation of Lincoln Savings, with Cranston receiving a formal reprimand. Senators John Glenn and John McCain were cleared of having acted improperly but were criticized for having exercised "poor judgment".

    All five of the senators involved served out their terms. Only Glenn and McCain ran for re-election, and they both succeeded. McCain would go on to become the Republican nominee for president in 2008.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keating_Five

  2. #2
    ryanXL977
    ryanXL977's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 02-24-08
    Posts: 20,615

    not sure why. but it should
    this man has committed a lot of crimes, from bombing innocents in vietnam, to crashing multiple planes and killing american servicemen

    he also voted for the illegal war in iraq

  3. #3
    capitalist pig
    capitalist pig's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-25-07
    Posts: 3,961
    Betpoints: 12

    Quote Originally Posted by ryanXL977 View Post
    not sure why. but it should
    this man has committed a lot of crimes, from bombing innocents in vietnam, to crashing multiple planes and killing american servicemen

    he also voted for the illegal war in iraq
    Ok Ill bite please post one crime he was charged with? If not you are spreading lies and violating the terms of SBR by slandering someone.

    later

  4. #4
    ryanXL977
    ryanXL977's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 02-24-08
    Posts: 20,615

    both vietnam and iraq are illegal wars based on lies and misinformation. nobody debates those points my friend.

    my friendsssssss
    my friendssssss

  5. #5
    TPowell
    TPowell's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 02-21-08
    Posts: 17,586
    Betpoints: 4829

    ryan, how old are you?

  6. #6
    ms61853
    ms61853's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 04-10-07
    Posts: 731

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluehorseshoe View Post
    Keating Five
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to: navigation, search
    Semi-protected
    Alan Cranston (D-CA)

    Dennis DeConcini (D-AZ)
    John Glenn (D-OH)

    John McCain (R-AZ)
    Donald W. Riegle (D-MI)

    The Keating Five were five United States Senators accused of corruption in 1989, igniting a major political scandal as part of the larger Savings and Loan crisis of the late 1980s and early 1990s. The five senators, Alan Cranston (D-CA), Dennis DeConcini (D-AZ), John Glenn (D-OH), John McCain (R-AZ), and Donald W. Riegle (D-MI), were accused of improperly intervening in 1987 on behalf of Charles H. Keating, Jr., chairman of the Lincoln Savings and Loan Association, which was the target of a regulatory investigation by the Federal Home Loan Bank Board (FHLBB). The FHLBB subsequently backed off taking action against Lincoln.

    Lincoln Savings and Loan collapsed in 1989, at a cost of over $3 billion to the federal government. Some 23,000 Lincoln bondholders were defrauded and many elderly investors lost their life savings. The substantial political contributions that Keating had made to each of the senators, totalling $1.3 million, attracted considerable public and media attention. After a lengthy investigation, the Senate Ethics Committee determined in 1991 that Alan Cranston, Dennis DeConcini, and Donald Riegle had substantially and improperly interfered with the FHLBB in its investigation of Lincoln Savings, with Cranston receiving a formal reprimand. Senators John Glenn and John McCain were cleared of having acted improperly but were criticized for having exercised "poor judgment".

    All five of the senators involved served out their terms. Only Glenn and McCain ran for re-election, and they both succeeded. McCain would go on to become the Republican nominee for president in 2008.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keating_Five
    Perhaps for this reason?

    The Ethics Committee ruled that the involvement of McCain in the scheme was also minimal, and he too was cleared of all charges against him. McCain was criticized by the Committee for exercising "poor judgment" when he met with the federal regulators on Keating's behalf.

    The report also said that McCain's "actions were not improper nor attended with gross negligence and did not reach the level of requiring institutional action against him....Senator McCain has violated no law of the United States or specific Rule of the United States Senate.

  7. #7
    ryanXL977
    ryanXL977's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 02-24-08
    Posts: 20,615

    yes, any report the government puts out, i will believe
    well done ms

  8. #8
    tacomax
    SBR Problem Poster 2007-08
    tacomax's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 08-10-05
    Posts: 9,621

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluehorseshoe View Post
    Senators John Glenn and John McCain were cleared of having acted improperly but were criticized for having exercised "poor judgment".
    ms61853 told me that it was Obama who advised McCain in this deal. That's why they're keeping it low profile.

    SBR Founder Join Date: 8/10/2005


  9. #9
    JC
    JC's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 08-23-05
    Posts: 481

    Quote Originally Posted by ms61853 View Post
    Perhaps for this reason?

    The Ethics Committee ruled that the involvement of McCain in the scheme was also minimal, and he too was cleared of all charges against him. McCain was criticized by the Committee for exercising "poor judgment" when he met with the federal regulators on Keating's behalf.

    The report also said that McCain's "actions were not improper nor attended with gross negligence and did not reach the level of requiring institutional action against him....Senator McCain has violated no law of the United States or specific Rule of the United States Senate.
    You mean the same way that Obama's actions [with respect to Ayers, Rezko, and Wright] were not improper nor attended with gross negligence and did not reach the level of requiring institutional action against him....Senator (Obama) has violated no law of the United States or specific Rule of the United States Senate?

    SBR Founder Join Date: 8/23/2005


  10. #10
    Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-13-06
    Posts: 10,245
    Betpoints: 36

    Quote Originally Posted by ms61853 View Post
    Perhaps for this reason?

    The Ethics Committee ruled that the involvement of McCain in the scheme was also minimal, and he too was cleared of all charges against him. McCain was criticized by the Committee for exercising "poor judgment" when he met with the federal regulators on Keating's behalf.

    The report also said that McCain's "actions were not improper nor attended with gross negligence and did not reach the level of requiring institutional action against him....Senator McCain has violated no law of the United States or specific Rule of the United States Senate.
    He got of the hook......


    Reactions

    Not everyone was satisfied with the Senate Ethics Committee conclusions. Fred Wertheimer, president of Common Cause, which had initially demanded the investigation, thought the treatment of the senators far too lenient, and said, "[The] action by the Senate Ethics Committee is a cop-out and a damning indictment of the committee,"[41] and "The U.S. Senate remains on the auction block to the Charles Keatings of the world."[61] Joan Claybrook, president of Public Citizen, called it a "whitewash".[61] Jonathan Alter of Newsweek said it was a classic case of the government trying to investigate itself, labelling the Senate Ethics Committee "shameless" for having "let four of the infamous Keating Five off with a wrist tap."[62] The New York Times ran several editorials criticizing the Ethics Committee for having let the senators off lightly.[63] Margaret Carlson of Time suspected the committee had timed its first report to coincide with the run-up to the Gulf War, minimizing its news impact.[61] One of the San Francisco bank regulators felt that McCain had gotten off too lightly, saying that Keating's business involvement with Cindy McCain was an obvious conflict of interest.[64]

  11. #11
    JC
    JC's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 08-23-05
    Posts: 481

    McCain was a lot tighter with Keating than Obama ever was with Ayers, Rezko, or Wright.

    SBR Founder Join Date: 8/23/2005


  12. #12
    ms61853
    ms61853's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 04-10-07
    Posts: 731

    Quote Originally Posted by JC View Post
    You mean the same way that Obama's actions [with respect to Ayers, Rezko, and Wright] were not improper nor attended with gross negligence and did not reach the level of requiring institutional action against him....Senator (Obama) has violated no law of the United States or specific Rule of the United States Senate?
    Let's look at the difference.

    McCain met with regulators on behalf of Keating. Nothing improper happened. That was 20 years ago and Mccain has shown that he will never enter into such questionable situations again.

    Ayers is an unrepentant terrorist who killed people and got off on a technicality. Wright is a black nationalist who spouts hate speech. Rezko is a convicted criminal who Obama from whom Obama has received business favors.

    None of these relationships have been investigated. Obama only recently "distanced" himself from these folks when it became politically expedient.

  13. #13
    reno cool
    the meaning of harm
    reno cool's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-02-08
    Posts: 3,567

    There are many crimes of the highest order that no one will be charged with, though they should be. Not the least of which is the illegal invasion of Iraq, or attempted genocide in Vietnam.

  14. #14
    ryanXL977
    ryanXL977's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 02-24-08
    Posts: 20,615

    Quote Originally Posted by ms61853 View Post
    Let's look at the difference.

    McCain met with regulators on behalf of Keating. Nothing improper happened. That was 20 years ago and Mccain has shown that he will never enter into such questionable situations again.

    Ayers is an unrepentant terrorist who killed people and got off on a technicality. Wright is a black nationalist who spouts hate speech. Rezko is a convicted criminal who Obama from whom Obama has received business favors.

    None of these relationships have been investigated. Obama only recently "distanced" himself from these folks when it became politically expedient.
    what is it ayers did 40 years ago that obama should be in trouble for? what iis it wright said that obama should be in trouble for? what exactly did they do? seriously, you are going to hold the actions of ayers at age 30 against him but not the actions of bush or anyone else. how do you pick and choose where to be self righteous?

  15. #15
    daggerkobe
    UCONN PK MICH PK PROVIDENCE +2
    daggerkobe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 03-25-08
    Posts: 10,744

    McCriminal.

  16. #16
    Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-13-06
    Posts: 10,245
    Betpoints: 36

    Quote Originally Posted by ms61853 View Post
    Let's look at the difference.

    McCain met with regulators on behalf of Keating. Nothing improper happened. That was 20 years ago and Mccain has shown that he will never enter into such questionable situations again.

    Ayers is an unrepentant terrorist who killed people and got off on a technicality. Wright is a black nationalist who spouts hate speech. Rezko is a convicted criminal who Obama from whom Obama has received business favors.

    None of these relationships have been investigated. Obama only recently "distanced" himself from these folks when it became politically expedient.
    Nothing improper happened???

    John McCain's wife was partners with Keating on a business deal. That's not an obvious conflict of interest????

  17. #17
    ryanXL977
    ryanXL977's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 02-24-08
    Posts: 20,615

    ms, go read about hagee then get back to us about wright

  18. #18
    ms61853
    ms61853's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 04-10-07
    Posts: 731

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluehorseshoe View Post
    Nothing improper happened???

    John McCain's wife was partners with Keating on a business deal. That's not an obvious conflict of interest????
    Should there be an immediate publicized investigation into Obama's dealings, too? (McCain was exonerated)

    There was an investigation into Mccain; why not an investigation of Obama?

  19. #19
    ryanXL977
    ryanXL977's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 02-24-08
    Posts: 20,615

    you sure dont answer questions
    what dealings with ayers? he didnt appoint ayers to a board of education he is on, a republican lady did. so what is it he did wrong. did obama bomb something? did he plot to bomb somehting? what is it he did
    tell us all

  20. #20
    ms61853
    ms61853's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 04-10-07
    Posts: 731

    Quote Originally Posted by ryanXL977 View Post
    what is it ayers did 40 years ago that obama should be in trouble for? what iis it wright said that obama should be in trouble for? what exactly did they do? seriously, you are going to hold the actions of ayers at age 30 against him but not the actions of bush or anyone else. how do you pick and choose where to be self righteous?

    If Obama's dealings with Ayers are no big deal, then why is he lying about them now?

  21. #21
    Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-13-06
    Posts: 10,245
    Betpoints: 36

    Quote Originally Posted by ms61853 View Post
    Should there be an immediate publicized investigation into Obama's dealings, too? (McCain was exonerated)

    There was an investigation into Mccain; why not an investigation of Obama?

    OJ was exonerated for murder. So what!!!!


    You don't thing he did anything wrong???

  22. #22
    ryanXL977
    ryanXL977's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 02-24-08
    Posts: 20,615

    debating with this guy is like running around in circles. i now realize this.

    have a nice day dude. im sure you will convince many people to vote mccain

  23. #23
    picantel
    picantel's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 09-17-05
    Posts: 4,262
    Betpoints: 150

    Quote Originally Posted by ms61853 View Post
    Let's look at the difference.

    McCain met with regulators on behalf of Keating. Nothing improper happened. That was 20 years ago and Mccain has shown that he will never enter into such questionable situations again.

    Ayers is an unrepentant terrorist who killed people and got off on a technicality. Wright is a black nationalist who spouts hate speech. Rezko is a convicted criminal who Obama from whom Obama has received business favors.

    None of these relationships have been investigated. Obama only recently "distanced" himself from these folks when it became politically expedient.
    more crap from crap. Obama was 8 years old when it happened. However, that is ok right? McCain was 98 years old when the keating happened 20 years ago.

    SBR Founder Join Date: 9/17/2005


  24. #24
    ms61853
    ms61853's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 04-10-07
    Posts: 731

    Quote Originally Posted by picantel View Post
    more crap from crap. Obama was 8 years old when it happened. However, that is ok right? McCain was 98 years old when the keating happened 20 years ago.
    So if Timothy McVeigh had gotten off on some technicality and became employed by some right wing college, and McCain developed an alliance with him, then McCain should get a free pass on that?

    Question: If Hussein Osama were applying to become a CIA agent, could he even pass a background check for the job given his alliances? Why won't anybody seriously look into this guy's background?

  25. #25
    ms61853
    ms61853's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 04-10-07
    Posts: 731

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluehorseshoe View Post
    OJ was exonerated for murder. So what!!!!


    You don't thing he did anything wrong???
    Should there be an immediate, highly publicized investigation of Obama? You don't think he did anything wrong?

  26. #26
    Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-13-06
    Posts: 10,245
    Betpoints: 36

    Quote Originally Posted by ms61853 View Post
    Should there be an immediate, highly publicized investigation of Obama? You don't think he did anything wrong?
    You refuse to answer questions. It's amazing.


    If I asked you a yes or no question, would you answer it???

  27. #27
    picantel
    picantel's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 09-17-05
    Posts: 4,262
    Betpoints: 150

    Quote Originally Posted by ms61853 View Post
    Should there be an immediate, highly publicized investigation of Obama? You don't think he did anything wrong?
    Of course Obama did. He was obviously paid a quarter to be the lookout for Ayers. I also hold him responsible for all hurricanes, my crappy sex life, and the pesky rash on my crotch.

    SBR Founder Join Date: 9/17/2005


  28. #28
    ms61853
    ms61853's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 04-10-07
    Posts: 731

    Quote Originally Posted by reno cool View Post
    T, or attempted genocide in Vietnam.
    Are you talking about the what the Communists did after the cowardly Democrats invited the North Vietnamese to invade South Vietnam after we left in 1973?

  29. #29
    JC
    JC's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 08-23-05
    Posts: 481

    Quote Originally Posted by ms61853 View Post
    Should there be an immediate, highly publicized investigation of Obama? You don't think he did anything wrong?
    Investigation for what, whether or not he helped plant the bombs when he was 8?

    SBR Founder Join Date: 8/23/2005


  30. #30
    reno cool
    the meaning of harm
    reno cool's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-02-08
    Posts: 3,567

    no I'm talking about what the US did. "The Communists" asshole were Vietnamese.

    What the US did in an effort to prop up an unpopular government, is torch the country literally.

  31. #31
    JC
    JC's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 08-23-05
    Posts: 481

    Quote Originally Posted by ms61853 View Post
    Are you talking about the what the Communists did after the cowardly Democrats invited the North Vietnamese to invade South Vietnam after we left in 1973?
    We had no business in Vietnam. Congress never declared war.

    SBR Founder Join Date: 8/23/2005


  32. #32
    ms61853
    ms61853's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 04-10-07
    Posts: 731

    Quote Originally Posted by reno cool View Post
    no I'm talking about what the US did. "The Communists" asshole were Vietnamese.

    What the US did in an effort to prop up an unpopular government, is torch the country literally.
    You dis little knowledge of Vietnam. Only revisionist propaganda.

    I'll just tell you that Vietnam was an extension of the Truman policy of containment.

  33. #33
    ryanXL977
    ryanXL977's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 02-24-08
    Posts: 20,615

    and what an idiotic policy it was, designed to allow the us to spend immense amounts on weapons and bombs we did not need

    truman was an awful president, a military industrial sellout piece of garbage

  34. #34
    reno cool
    the meaning of harm
    reno cool's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-02-08
    Posts: 3,567

    Oh Truman policy of containment. Well I'm sorry, god forbid I ever say anything against policy.

  35. #35
    ms61853
    ms61853's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 04-10-07
    Posts: 731

    Quote Originally Posted by ryanXL977 View Post
    and what an idiotic policy it was, designed to allow the us to spend immense amounts on weapons and bombs we did not need

    truman was an awful president, a military industrial sellout piece of garbage
    And the Soviet Union now?

12 Last
Top