Phillies overrated?

only 5 of their first 30 games have been against teams above .500

interesting

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

Lol hilarious

You realize that they've been banged up all year and still have the best record in the majors? Who cares who theyve played. They've missed Utley, Dom Brown, Chooch is hurt now and might go on the dl, Oswalt was gone and is scratched today with a bad back, Lidge.

Has an other team had that many injuries?

Be afraid. They're only gonna get better.

BRAVES1985
    BRAVES1985's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1975

Quote Originally Posted by InTheDrink View Post
    Lol hilarious You realize that they've been banged up all year and still have the best record in the majors? Who cares who theyve played. They've missed Utley, Dom Brown, Chooch is hurt now and might go on the dl, Oswalt was gone and is scratched today with a bad back, Lidge. Has an other team had that many injuries? Be afraid. They're only gonna get better.

LOL hilarious

you know who they have played so far right?

mets 6
    padres 4
    nats 6
    astros 3

above .500 teams they are
    braves 2-2
    fish 1-1

and thats it

dont even start about injuries every team has them

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32231

Don't you just love threads started by homers that think their competition is overrated.
    (Like the Soxies say about the Yanks.)

Now don't get me wrong, I think the Braves are a legit contender, I've been telling people last year Beachy is the next big thing, I love the kid, Hanson is an animal, Lowe always has success against Phil. McCann is a professional hitter, so is Chipper, even at his age, Prado and Uggla can rake, Hayward too..........

Having said that, Phils are not overrated, Oswalt missed two turns, the rotation is the best in the majors in two decades, Howard is feared, Victorino is lethal on the bases, at the plate, and is gold glove caliber, Rollins is still an elite SS, wait until Utley comes back.

Your point by the way Braves dude is so invalid, there are two basic formula's in baseball, play .500 or better against winning teams, and beat the weaklings 2 out of 3, so far the Phils have done JUST that, and the other is play .500 on the road, and win 2 out of 3 at home.

Phils overrated?
    I think not !

BRAVES1985

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    Don't you just love threads started by homers that think their competition is overrated. (Like the Soxies say about the Yanks.) Now don't get me wrong, I think the Braves are a legit contender, I've been telling people last year Beachy is the next big thing, I love the kid, Hanson is an animal, Lowe always has success against Phil. McCann is a professional hitter, so is Chipper, even at his age, Prado and Uggla can rake, Hayward too.......... Having said that, Phils are not overrated, Oswalt missed two turns, the rotation is the best in the majors in two decades, Howard is feared, Victorino is lethal on the bases, at the plate, and is gold glove caliber, Rollins is still an elite SS, wait until Utley comes back. Your point by the way Braves dude is so invalid, there are two basic formula's in baseball, play .500 or better against winning teams, and beat the weaklings 2 out of 3, so far the Phils have done JUST that, and the other is play .500 on the road, and win 2 out of 3 at home. Phils overrated? I think not !
    lol on paper

the braves starting rotation has better numbers so far

and ya oswalt missed a couple starts so did jurrjens whats your point
    Last edited by BRAVES1985; 05-07-11 at 10:09 AM.

himeshforex
    himeshforex's Avatar Become A Pro!

Phillies have been real luck to get off to a hot start this year. never really was convinced by their bats so far this season. Cliff lee has also underperformed .

dlunc3
    dlunc3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1076

Utley is better then any player on the braves roster and they have been without him all season thusfar.. enough said...

dlunc3

Dom brown was a better prospect then Jason heyward and he's been out as well.. best record in the league without these guys and braves fans still have something to say lol let's compare pitching in august and see how that works out for you

Cranium
    Cranium's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1439

PHL are not overrated... will represent the NL in the WS

dlunc3

And did you really compare jurrjens to oswalt???? Hahahaha

BRAVES1985

Quote Originally Posted by dlunc3 View Post
    And did you really compare jurrjens to oswalt???? Hahahaha
    jurrjens is a stud do you watch baseball?

jurrjens 3-0 1.52 era

avg just under 8.0 ip per start

BRAVES1985

Utley is better then any player on the braves roster and they have been without him all season thusfar.. enough said...

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Hilarious..

Phillies are trash. Almost Padres from last year. Elite pitching, with AAA bats.

Raleigh77
    Raleigh77's Avatar Become A Pro!

Phillies will struggle to win 90 this year. They are overrated.

BRAVES1985

Quote Originally Posted by HoulihansTX View Post
    Hilarious.. Phillies are trash. Almost Padres from last year. Elite pitching, with AAA bats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raleigh77 View Post
    Phillies will struggle to win 90 this year. They are overrated.

dlunc3

Based on what? You can't throw out statements like that with absolutely nothing to back it up.. pure nonsense

Inspirited
    Inspirited's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 17840

lol braves fans.

beat the phillies one game and think they're overrated.

phillies will be right where they were last year and further

braves will be watching at home

dlunc3

You really think a team with this pitching staff that is getting back a top three 2nd basemen along with bullpen help and a top prospect out fielder, won't go 4 games above .500 in the remaining 131 games?? Cmon now at least be rational

BRAVES1985

Quote Originally Posted by Inspirited View Post
    lol braves fans. beat the phillies one game and think they're overrated. phillies will be right where they were last year and further braves will be watching at home
    lets see them beat some teams that are over .500 before we say they are the best team to ever play

dlunc3

Quote Originally Posted by BRAVES1985 View Post

jurrjens 3-0 1.52 era

lol ok has has an a good three games congrats... do not even try to compare him to a 3 time all star that has finished top 5 in cy young voting 5 times... jurrgens is an average baseball pitcher that will never even come close to that of roy oswalt.. take your short career with a 4 era and be happy being lucky enough to be a #3 pitcher.. hed be lucky enough to make the phills starting rotation.. he might be able to beat out fat joe if hes lucky... how does jurrjens postseason stats compare to roys? oh wait..

dlunc3

Hilarious..

Phillies are trash. Almost Padres from last year. Elite pitching, with AAA bats.
    hmmm... #7 in the league right now in hitting without their best hitter and a top prospect... seems like you really know your baseball

BRAVES1985

lol ok has has an a good three games congrats... do not even try to compare him to a 3 time all star that has finished top 5 in cy young voting 5 times... jurrgens is an average baseball pitcher that will never even come close to that of roy oswalt.. take your short career with a 4 era and be happy being lucky enough to be a #3 pitcher.. hed be lucky enough to make the phills starting rotation.. he might be able to beat out fat joe if hes lucky... how does jurrjens postseason stats compare to roys? oh wait..

hahahhahahah jurrjens is 25 and career era is 3.4 and getting better every year and he was injured lastyear for the post season

phils window for championships is what 2 more years mabey 3

braves are just starting out they will be competing for years to come

dlunc3

may be true... but this thread is based on this season, not years to come.. phills are made to win now, as they are doing.. and no jurrjens career era is not 3.4... it might show that on the stats page, but that is just because they average every year together (they are averaging in his 1.8 from 3 games this year and counting it as a full season). If he holds a 1.8 ERA after a full year this year, then yes he will have a 3.4, but right now it is around 4.0. You cant average 3 starts with 3 other years worth of stats which is what the stats pages show. As I said, he is an average pitcher with around a 4 ERA... until he proves otherwise, that is what he is... 3 good starts does not make him a legit pitcher.

BRAVES1985

may be true... but this thread is based on this season, not years to come.. phills are made to win now, as they are doing.. and no jurrjens career era is not 3.4... it might show that on the stats page, but that is just because they average every year together (they are averaging in his 1.8 from 3 games this year and counting it as a full season). If he holds a 1.8 ERA after a full year this year, then yes he will have a 3.4, but right now it is around 4.0. You cant average 3 starts with 3 other years worth of stats which is what the stats pages show. As I said, he is an average pitcher with around a 4 ERA... until he proves otherwise, that is what he is... 3 good starts does not make him a legit pitcher.
    what??? his career era is 3.41 that includes his debut to today wtf you talkin about? and your the one saying look at oswalts past

and its 4 starts by the way not 3

dlunc3

all it comes down to is a 7 game series: game one: halladay or hudson? halladay.... game 2: lee or lowe? Lee...games 3: hanson or hamels? hamels.... game 4 jurrgens or oswalt? oswalt... every single game anyone that knows anything about baseball would take the phills pitcher... case closed. And when healthy, the phills lineup is better as well.. come and talk in 3 or 4 years, and I probably will side with the braves...until then, save yourself your time. Check any power ranking right now, philly is #1 without a ton of important pieces

vvvv
    vvvv's Avatar Become A Pro!

nooo

Not overrated bc of me thats for sure lol I hate them!

stevenash

jurrjens 3-0 1.52 era

Skewed 3-0 record.
    He beat a weak Padre lineup that's softer than Carvel ice cream getting eight runs of support, he beat a soft Mets lineup in is first start.

You make him out to be the second coming of Jim Palmer.
    Ivan Nova can beat those very same lineups with the same numbers your Jurrjens put up.

Mets and Padres? Please.
    See me when he beats a real lineup with more pop than the Newark Bears.

Jurrjens is Not a stud.
    Jurrjens is a 13-10 pitcher, with a 3.50 earned run average, and about .130 WHIP ratio.
    Slightly better than mediocre.

Oswalt averages 17 wins a season for a decade, won back to back 20 games, won 19 games another year, all with crappy Houston teams before they were pretty good.

Get real, Jurrjens is to Oswalt is like Jorge Posada is to Johnny Bench.
    Points Awarded:

dlunc3 gave stevenash 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

MTek gave stevenash 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

stevenash

Hilarious..

Who's the minor league bat?

Ryan Howard? One of the most feared power hitters in the league?

Jimmy Rollins? He's only hitting .285 for a SS with a lofty .375 oba.
    Wreaks havoc when he gets on base (which is often)

Victorino is putting up ridiculous numbers from the top of the order.
    You got a problem with .290 5 homers already from the #2 hitter in the order.
    He also plays world class defense in the outfield.

Polanco is one of top hitters in the league right now.
    .374 21 RBI's making all the plays at third.

Witout Utley yet

AAA bats

Seriously, some of you don't think before posting.

antifoil
    Update your status
    antifoil's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6611

that sound rated about right to me. they beat bad team with a high winning percentage of .700 and have around a .500 record against good teams. that gets you over 90 wins.

dlunc3

talk about AAA bats... 0 runs so far through 7 innings vs the phills #7 starter?

BRAVES1985

Skewed 3-0 record. He beat a weak Padre lineup that's softer than Carvel ice cream getting eight runs of support, he beat a soft Mets lineup in is first start. You make him out to be the second coming of Jim Palmer. Ivan Nova can beat those very same lineups with the same numbers your Jurrjens put up. Mets and Padres? Please. See me when he beats a real lineup with more pop than the Newark Bears. Jurrjens is Not a stud. Jurrjens is a 13-10 pitcher, with a 3.50 earned run average, and about .130 WHIP ratio. Slightly better than mediocre. Oswalt averages 17 wins a season for a decade, won back to back 20 games, won 19 games another year, all with crappy Houston teams before they were pretty good. Get real, Jurrjens is to Oswalt is like Jorge Posada is to Johnny Bench.
    i never said jurrjens = oswalt jurrjens is 25 with alot of potential

BRAVES1985

talk about AAA bats... 0 runs so far through 7 innings vs the phills #7 starter?
    braves are 11-3 in last 14 averaging 6 runs a game kendrick has owned the braves his whole career

congrats on beating a 20 year old making his mlb debut and only getting 4 hits off him

BigDan
    BigDan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Who's the minor league bat?

Ryan Howard? One of the most feared power hitters in the league?

Jimmy Rollins? He's only hitting .285 for a SS with a lofty .375 oba.
    Wreaks havoc when he gets on base (which is often)

Victorino is putting up ridiculous numbers from the top of the order.
    You got a problem with .290 5 homers already from the #2 hitter in the order.
    He also plays world class defense in the outfield.

Polanco is one of top hitters in the league right now.
    .374 21 RBI's making all the plays at third.

Witout Utley yet

AAA bats

Seriously, some of you don't think before posting.

it was a sad day when Polanco was no longer a Cardinal, loved watching him play, gotta be one of the tougher outs around and always been clutch........

i hate philly but it hard to say they are overrated because they have had a relatively easy schedule thus far, all you can do is beat the teams you play and they have done that...despite what some have said on here beating the bad teams is a big deal, look at my Cards last year the shit teams were their downfall (above .500 against teams w/winning record yet cant even win division because they played down to the scrubs)

seriously guys, Holiday, Lee, Hammels, and Oswalt is pretty damn tough even with a streaky offense..

not knocking the braves but in one of the tougher divisions phi is no doubt the class.........

INVEGA MAN
    INVEGA MAN's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11934

Very interesting thread. they will be fine when july, aug rolls around.

stevenash

i never said jurrjens = oswalt jurrjens is 25 with alot of potential
    Beachy has more potential.
    I love that kid.

p.s. I'm not a Phil fan.

I'm a baseball fan (junky) who's favorite team is the Yankees, because that's my home town team

1234 ... Last