thisisit
    thisisit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

Begining of the end of the BCS!

This is it there will be a playoff in 2 to 3 yrs! Love it http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/J...playoff-050411

MartinBlank
    Going to be a good weekend
    MartinBlank's Avatar Become A Pro!

The problem with this is even if the DOJ ended the BCS, the old system of bowls would still be in play.

The university presidents have no interest in ending the bowl system.

WorkHorse
    WorkHorse's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Interesting read thisisit.

I agree with MB, the majority of the university presidents don't want a playoff system.

My concern is the goverment getting involved in college football. What's next, a team that draws 90,000 fans to a game have to bus 25,000 over to a school who draws only 22,000.

bornselling
    bornselling's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 196

This is it there will be a playoff in 2 to 3 yrs!

stefan084
    stefan084's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 601

good--i guess it takes the DOJ to get this done

chunk
    chunk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19168

Department of Justice?????? WTF!!!! It wasn't that long ago that John McCain was on a crusade to abolish college sports betting...how did that work out? Politicians need to keep their inept hands off of college sports! Christ, the NCAA is bad enough.

Regul8er
    Wordd
    Regul8er's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4101

Good read. BCS is coming to an end

VegasInsider
    Update your status
    VegasInsider's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'd rather the BCS stay the same then have the DOJ get involved. Stay the fuk out you liberal hippie fuks.

Too much government = bad government

MartinBlank
    Going to be a good weekend
    MartinBlank's Avatar Become A Pro!

I wish they would get rid of the BCS and go back to the old bowl system.

If it is going to be shitty--at least be entertaining. How many Penn State Outback Bowl appearances do we really need?

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

I see that we have a lot of dreamers in here. That is exactly what you are if you think that getting rid of the BCS will lead to a playoff. There WILL NOT be a playoff system until the University Presidents want one, and they do NOT want one. Period. End of Statement. For all of you people who think their will be, I have some beach front property in Kansas to sell you. So get it through your thick skulls. NO PLAYOFF SYSTEM. The best you can hope for is a "Plus One".
    Last edited by BigdaddyQH; 05-05-11 at 01:27 PM.

mlb
    mlb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12779

good stuff.. .thanks .. we'll have to see

gafl
    gafl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 706

Why the DOJ should be involved in college football, I don't know. While a playoff would be great, especially after the lackluster bowl games this year, it's the colleges themselves that have to decide this. The DOJ should have enough to keep them busy.

Doc JS
    Doc JS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Quote Originally Posted by gafl View Post
    The DOJ should have enough to keep them busy.
    THIS!

I want a playoff as much as the next guy...

But doesn't/shouldn't the DOJ have more important stuff to do???

Doc

Tilt360
    Tilt360's Avatar Become A Pro!

Even if there is a playoff system, some team will get upset for being left off. There no perfect system.

vyomguy
    vyomguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 234

we need a playoff system....this year there were several undefeated teams....cant tell which team is better unless they play each other.

Double Bogey
    Double Bogey's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1472

I'm all for a playoff, but I'm getting really tired of our free rights getting trampled on. To me, it's certainly not up to the government to decide. I believe this country is going down the wrong path fast. To me it's very un-American to be taking away people and organizations free rights to choose what's best for them, but instead what the government feels is best. Getting scary

Wrecktangle
    Wrecktangle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3209

The fact is, this DOJ is worst than whatever that crook W's DOJ ever thought about being.

What happened to your rights America? Your internet doesn't allow you to do what you want and your DOJ surveils your every move since W's "Patriot" Act. What a bunch of sh*t.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

I totally agree. The Obama Administrations DOJ is by far, the worst we have seen in 50 years. Fiasco after fiasco. There is no way they can win in a court of law. The universities can easily prove that a playoff system will cost them a lot of money, and do harm to the universities involved. If the Universities cannot make money going to a BCS game, how much money will theylose if they have to travel two or three times in a matter of a couple weeks? This would be a logitical nightmare for these teams and universities. Remember, they would NOT be able to schedule these games ahead of time, like they do now. The costs to the universities, their students who want to attend the games, and their fans would be huge.

freelee
    Update your status
    freelee's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 478

good this should expose the SEC

chunk

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    The fact is, this DOJ is worst than whatever that crook W's DOJ ever thought about being.

What happened to your rights America? Your internet doesn't allow you to do what you want and your DOJ surveils your every move since W's "Patriot" Act. What a bunch of sh*t.
    This is not something to be taken lightly. As technology(satellites,cameras everywhere,devices in autos,etc.) becomes more and more sophisticated, it also becomes more pervasive. It comes in small doses that people don't feel right away until one day.

WorkHorse
    WorkHorse's Avatar Become A Pro!

The dumbass Justice Department sent a letter to Mark Emmert concerning questions about the BCS. Emmert is president of the NCAA and has nothing to do with the BCS. The NCAA didn't come up with the BCS. The NCAA doesn't manage the BCS. The NCAA does not profit from the BCS. The NCAA president doesn't give a rat's ass about questions from the Justice Department.

Mike Slive, Jim Delany, Larry Scott, Dan Beebe, John Swofford and John Marinatto, the commissioners of the Big Six conferences are the ones the Justice Department should be sending questions too. The reaction from these guys has been bewilderment and bemusement. In other words....go stick it JD.

Vince Lombardi
    Vince Lombardi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19401

The BCS is a bullshit system and a ****** up way to settle a championship. A playoff system is the only to go but university presidents of average programs will never vote the bowl system out.

bornselling
    bornselling's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 196

[COLOR=#000000 !important]good this should expose the SEC[/COLOR]

tripp
    tripp's Avatar Become A Pro!

Happy to hear this

kmarinouofm
    Those who stay.. will be Champions!
    kmarinouofm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3463

tourney style top 32 teams are in .. loose and you go home.. i would nut if this happened..

Glitch
    Glitch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

about time. apparently it is an illegal system they have now.

chunk

You need to slap yourself hard.........right now!!!!

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

What the BCS Should Do

First of all, for all of you dreamers and spolied children who either want or demand a playoff system, take a hike. That will NOT happen in the next 5-10 years. So get that out of your head and quit wasting our time by posting this kind of rubbish. The University Presidents DO NOT want one. Game, Set, and match.

Having said that, here is about as close as you will come to getting a playoff. It is a version of the "plus one", but it is NOT playoff per se. Add the Cotton Bowl to the list of BCS Bowl games. Have the Cotton Bowl become the tie-in for the Big 12-2. Give the Fiesta Bowl the first choice for an at-large team. Keep all the other bowl tie-ins the same as they are now. After these Bowl games are concluded, have a vote for the top two teams in the nation to play in the BCS Championship game. While not a playoff system, at least this way you eliminate some teams. Had this been done last year, you would have had Auburn in the Sugar Bowl playing Ohio State, Oregon in the Rose Bowl playing Wisconsin, Oklahoma in the Cottton bowl playing TCU, Va. Tech in the Orange Bowl playing UConn, and Stanford in the Fiesta Bowl playing Boise State. That would have been a much better line-up than what you ended up with. Even though you still could have ended up with three undefeated teams to choose from to play in the BCS Championship game, at least those three teams would all be coming off of quality wins at a neutral site. This system is very doable. Have all BCS Games completed by 1/3 (1/4 when 1/1 falls on a Sunday). Have the Championship game scheduled 14 days later. That gives the two teams enough time to prepare for the game.

I welcome any comments.

thisisit

Quote Originally Posted by gafl View Post
    Why the DOJ should be involved in college football, I don't know. While a playoff would be great, especially after the lackluster bowl games this year, it's the colleges themselves that have to decide this. The DOJ should have enough to keep them busy.
    The D.O.J is involved because it is an antitrust case! The money that goes from the Gov to the schools allows the government the right to look into things like this. If these were all private schools that took no government money it would not be an issue.

thisisit

The plus one will be the start, but once they figure out they can't win the case they will call nbc,fox, cbs, and espn and say how much for a 16 team playoff! It will make the NCAA tourney money look like Crackerjacks!