SBR_John
    Wisky
    SBR_John's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42225

Geronimo

When I first heard the code name I thought that was not right. Geronimo was a great warrior and not a coward. Some would say he was the greatest warrior of all time.

But I got a question to you older guys; when I was a kid whenever we jumped off a tree into the water or something mildly daring we would yell "Geronimo!". Did anyone else ever do that????? It was a kids saying and I guess a tribute of sorts.

mrmarket
    Update your status
    mrmarket's Avatar Become A Pro!

This guy is more badass in my book:

http://www.damninteresting.com/any-o...operly-dressed

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

My mother-in-law is related to him. No jokes in my house else I get hit with the cast iron skillet in the head.

dtp
    dtp's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 231

this guy must have been a baller to have so many people yelling his name.

Chopsticks
    Chopsticks's Avatar Become A Pro!

I do not know the full history of Geronimo but initially I thought it was kind of fitting that they named the operation after a legend like Geronimo... so that now until eternity his name and endeavours would be honored even more.

But it looks like the Geronimo name was used not only on the operation, but also used as a code name for bin Laden himself. That is not right.

will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!
    will2survive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

SBR JOHN: when I was a kid and we would jump into water or take a risk in where we could get hurt (falling). Geronimo was a common word to be yelled out.

shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

Yep, we yelled it all the time. Jumping off the roof of our house, cannon balling from the highest diving board at the pool, leaping from the tree house to the ground without using the ladder. And we always stretched the last o. Geronimooooooooooooooooooo

I hadn't thought of that for ages until now.

flyingillini
    flyingillini's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2187

Geronimo was used all the time as I used to jump in the Red Sea.

sparkyasu
    sparkyasu's Avatar Become A Pro!

only two people ever have the elusiveness of this level; osama and geronimo, they both did deadly attacks and couldn't be tracked down by multiple countries

the name is fitting; im of the same tribe and dont find this offensive

SBR_John
    Wisky
    SBR_John's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42225

Quote Originally Posted by will2survive View Post
    SBR JOHN: when I was a kid and we would jump into water or take a risk in where we could get hurt (falling). Geronimo was a common word to be yelled out.
    Phew! After I wrote that I thought that may be a S. Tex thing; Apache country.

The native Indians take things a little far when they complain about the Atlanta Braves and such. But I hope there is some explanation to this code name.

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

I did this ( yell "Geronimo" ) all the time when I was a kid.

Now that I'm older, when making love to a woman.....I typically scream out "Bobbyfk" upon release. Similar kind of tribute.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

shari91

wtf Opie

The Prick
    Make America Great
    The Prick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3625

that yellin geronimo is some army doggie airborne stuff, from ft benning. gotta be some lead slead poster knows the real scoop

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

We did not play kids game

We played a game called
    "king of the hill"

Basically a big hill where anyone can go to top but only the strong stayed up there as You can throw guys down the hill. Not many stayed up there either.

I was usually one of the kings, all ages were allowed from like 12-80 years old . Men and women.

I tossed so many jerkoffs off it was not funny. I will never forget when a husband wife team tried to charge top of hill and make name for themselves. Well I through both their old asses off. I do not give a fuk if there were in there 70's. It was hiker seeing to old fils charging me. The old man broke 3 ribs after I flinged him down, the old lady had bruises. No one took my hill at that time. Heck I busted up a kid 13 years old too. It was great status to be named a king if the hill.

stealthyburrito
    Alien Robot Sex Party
    stealthyburrito's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11893

Quote Originally Posted by opie1988 View Post
    I did this ( yell "Geronimo" ) all the time when I was a kid.

Now that I'm older, when making love to a woman.....I typically scream out "Bobbyfk" upon release. Similar kind of tribute.
    i didn't think it was possible but i think my cokk just shriveled into my body.

shari91

jj we played that when we were kids on recess at school, usually on massive snow/ice hills where you had a serious chance of injuring yourself when you were booted off. Not with bloody senior citizens you Piller

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68483

Yes John. As one of the ehh...hem, older guys, we indeed yelled that when jumping out of trees or whatever.

Fishhead
    Fishhead's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11769

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

GeronimoBornGoyahkla, Goyaałé: "one who yawns"
    June 16, 1829
    Gila River, Arizona[1]DiedFebruary 17, 1909 (aged 79)
    Fort Sill, OklahomaKnown forA famous Apache warrior
    Geronimo (June 16, 1829 – February 17, 1909) was a prominent Native American leader of the Chiricahua Apache who fought against Mexico and the United States for their expansion into Apache tribal lands for several decades during the Apache Wars. Geronimo was the nickname given to him by the Mexicans but his real name was Goyaałé from the Chiricahua language meaning "one who yawns"; often spelled Goyathlay or Goyahkla[2][3] in English.
    After an attack by a company of Mexican soldiers killed many members of his family in 1858, Geronimo joined revenge attacks on the Mexicans and later against the United States. He became known for bravery and daring feats and was revered by the Apaches as a warrior with spiritual powers. In 1886 Geronimo was eventually tracked down by U.S. authorities and surrendered. As a prisoner of war in old age he became a celebrity but was never allowed to return to the land of his birth. He later regretted his surrender and claimed the conditions he made had been ignored. Geronimo died in 1909 after being thrown from his horse.

Fishhead

Quote Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

GeronimoBornGoyahkla, Goyaałé: "one who yawns"
    June 16, 1829
    Gila River, Arizona[1]DiedFebruary 17, 1909 (aged 79)
    Fort Sill, OklahomaKnown forA famous Apache warrior
    Geronimo (June 16, 1829 – February 17, 1909) was a prominent Native American leader of the Chiricahua Apache who fought against Mexico and the United States for their expansion into Apache tribal lands for several decades during the Apache Wars. Geronimo was the nickname given to him by the Mexicans but his real name was Goyaałé from the Chiricahua language meaning "one who yawns"; often spelled Goyathlay or Goyahkla[2][3] in English.
    After an attack by a company of Mexican soldiers killed many members of his family in 1858, Geronimo joined revenge attacks on the Mexicans and later against the United States. He became known for bravery and daring feats and was revered by the Apaches as a warrior with spiritual powers. In 1886 Geronimo was eventually tracked down by U.S. authorities and surrendered. As a prisoner of war in old age he became a celebrity but was never allowed to return to the land of his birth. He later regretted his surrender and claimed the conditions he made had been ignored. Geronimo died in 1909 after being thrown from his horse.

Geronimo was raised with the traditional religious views of the Bedonkohe. When questioned about his views on life after death, he wrote in his 1905 autobiography, "As to the future state, the teachings of our tribe were not specific, that is, we had no definite idea of our relations and surroundings in after life. We believed that there is a life after this one, but no one ever told me as to what part of man lived after death ... We held that the discharge of one's duty would make his future life more pleasant, but whether that future life was worse than this life or better, we did not know, and no one was able to tell us. We hoped that in the future life, family and tribal relations would be resumed. In a way we believed this, but we did not know it."[14]
    Later in life, Geronimo embraced Christianity, and stated, "Since my life as a prisoner has begun I have heard the teachings of the white man's religion, and in many respects believe it to be better than the religion of my fathers ... Believing that in a wise way it is good to go to church, and that associating with Christians would improve my character, I have adopted the Christian religion. I believe that the church has helped me much during the short time I have been a member. I am not ashamed to be a Christian, and I am glad to know that the President of the United States is a Christian, for without the help of the Almighty I do not think he could rightly judge in ruling so many people. I have advised all of my people who are not Christians, to study that religion, because it seems to me the best religion in enabling one to live right."[15] He joined the Dutch Reformed Church in 1903 but four years later was expelled for gambling.[15] To the end of his life, he seemed to harbor ambivalent religious feelings, telling the Christian missionaries at a summer camp meeting in 1908 that he wanted to start over, while at the same time telling his tribesmen that he held to the old Apache religion.[16]

Wulfman14
    The Great Khali
    Wulfman14's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post

We played a game called
    "king of the hill"

Basically a big hill where anyone can go to top but only the strong stayed up there as You can throw guys down the hill. Not many stayed up there either.

I was usually one of the kings, all ages were allowed from like 12-80 years old . Men and women.

I tossed so many jerkoffs off it was not funny. I will never forget when a husband wife team tried to charge top of hill and make name for themselves. Well I through both their old asses off. I do not give a fuk if there were in there 70's. It was hiker seeing to old fils charging me. The old man broke 3 ribs after I flinged him down, the old lady had bruises. No one took my hill at that time. Heck I busted up a kid 13 years old too. It was great status to be named a king if the hill.
    jj you are one funny fuk

Fishhead

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfman14 View Post
    jj you are one funny fuk
    JJ looks like a young Geronimo

JJ, you part Apache?

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24866

Quote Originally Posted by SBR_John View Post
    When I first heard the code name I thought that was not right. Geronimo was a great warrior and not a coward. Some would say he was the greatest warrior of all time.

But I got a question to you older guys; when I was a kid whenever we jumped off a tree into the water or something mildly daring we would yell "Geronimo!". Did anyone else ever do that????? It was a kids saying and I guess a tribute of sorts.
    Wow~ Totally forgot about those days!!! You are 100% right!

JJ, growing up in MN/ND we did King of the hill on snow banks and such. Video request for next year pal! SBR King of the hill snow bank war!

mighty maron
    USA Bra over 2.5
    mighty maron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 85

we didnt use the word in suburbia but I saw the word being used in movies where people jumped from planes or buildings in the 80's....PC incorrect now probably

minet123
    Is JJ a Higher Power ?
    minet123's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3753

We played a game called
    "king of the hill"

Yea lot of big hills in Newark
    or is that the lily white suburbs of North Bergen

mikejamm
    mikejamm's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1321

I think using the name of a brave warrior like Geronimo as a code name for that stink'in islamic muslim fuk bin laden is a total insult to all Native American Indians!That bearded piece of shit shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as the great Geronimo!

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
    JJ looks like a young Geronimo

JJ, you part Apache?

I might be

I do not know

I know I am Jew though

thisisit
    thisisit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

When we jumped off our garage roofs we would always hell that. Good call SBR John.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

I might be

I do not know

I know I am Jew though
    Yes you are a Jew who goes to church and have Native American roots and you are also in the Mafia.

sweethook
    sweethook's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10440

yes i do remeber that very well. we would run and jump off of a rope from a tree limb into a big catfish pond off dirt road in mullins,sc 1969 or in pee dee river , dam i miss that

dngf
    Update your status
    dngf's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 85260

Quote Originally Posted by The Prick View Post
    that yellin geronimo is some army doggie airborne stuff, from ft benning. gotta be some lead slead poster knows the real scoop

World War II paratrooper Aubrey Eberhardt was the first to scream "Geronimo!" while jumping from great heights. Retired First Sergeant Ed Howard explains how it happened in his essay entitled "Paramount's 1939 Western Geronimo...A Forgotten Movie With a Giant Legacy."

In 1940, the United States' first Parachute Test Platoon was formed. It consisted of 50 volunteers who trained in the sweltering heat of Georgia's Fort Benning. The days were mighty hot, so the paratroopers wanted to stay cool in the evening. One night, Private Eberhardt and three friends watched the movie Geronimo at a local (air conditioned) theater.

After the film, the group discussed the jump they were to make the following morning. According to Howard, one paratrooper asked Eberhardt if he believed he could jump "without fear." Eberhardt, eager to prove his toughness, said he'd show everyone he wasn't afraid by yelling "Geronimo!" as he jumped. Eberhardt believed that if he had the presence of mind to remember the word, it would prove he wasn't scared. Questionable logic perhaps, but we're going with it.
    Long story short, Eberhardt jumped, yelled "Geronimo!" as promised, and the shout quickly caught on with his fellow paratroopers. Some time later the phrase was outlawed because officers felt it would draw unwanted attention to paratroopers landing in hostile territories. That said, the "Geronimo" motto is still seen on certain military insignias, so Eberhardt's legend lives on.

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

I never yelled "Geronimo!" but I've read about people doing that.