C-Gold
    C-Gold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 843

I think Greg McElroy could be the sleeper of the draft

McElroy goes to a team with a shaky QB. He won't start at first so he'll have the chance to sit and watch. He's a smart smart guy and a good natural leader. He doesn't have to have the strongest arm in the league, drafting a guy for arm strength is stupid as is drafting a quarterback for his speed. The NFL draft is a graveyard filled with strong armed spiral quarterbacks and mobile athletes. Mcelroy has good determination, leadership and smarts. I like that. He'll study and be hungry as a late round pick.

I think McElroy could be the steal of the draft. I'm shocked he didn't get more consideration earlier and that he's getting picked around quarterbacks like Ricky Stanzi, and Tyrod Taylor??? That's a complete and utter joke.

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith
    itchypickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5620

J -E-T-S- JETS JETS JETS - He'll beat out Sanchez in 2-3 years just wait.

Br0nxer
    July 2012 Poster of the Month
    Br0nxer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 888

brodie croyle 2.0

howd that work out

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Sleeper of the draft? LoL. Ther's undrafted free agents who will have longer careers than McElroy. Best thing about McElroy is that he has a hot sister. She was the hottie on the couch next to him.

onetrickpony
    onetrickpony's Avatar Become A Pro!

this is a fail

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Damn that was his sister.

C-Gold

Quote Originally Posted by itchypickle View Post
    J -E-T-S- JETS JETS JETS - He'll beat out Sanchez in 2-3 years just wait.

Pancho Sanchez has had the good, the bad, and the ugly so far. Not bad for a 21 year old true Junior that came out of college and got pushed onto a solid team in the big apple. He's made a lot of mistakes but he was very young and he showed some positive flashes. He has all the physical tools and I wouldn't give up on him yet. He CAN do it, whether or not he does... he has the ability.

Sanchez just needs to be more consistent and more confident, and earn his coaches trust, and that comes with time. He did string together some good games last year and if he can always play like that you have something.

You guys laugh at McElroy but I know he's better than you think. You talk about how hot his sister is and it proves he has good genetics.

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith
    itchypickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5620

I think the Jets realized the quality he will bring is a solid backup for awhile...hard worker and knows the big stage (his dad's in the Cowboys' organization so he's seen a little...played big college games at the best place to play where you're in a fish bowl stress wise...and starting under Nick Saban's system means he's use to the NFL type scheduling.....so if Sanchez gets hurt or for mop up work, G-Mac will be a guy who comes in and won't f it up and can do more than just hand off left and hand off right....I think it's a win win.

EaglesPhan36

I agree with the above post. Not saying McElroy can't be a quality backup, but he won't be anything more than that and certainly is not any sort of big sleeper in this draft.

C-Gold

I think the probability of him being a one of those late round Tom Brady, Jake Delhomme, Kurt Warner, Warren Moon, Mark Brunell type guys is greater than you think. The odds of 6th rounders going to the pro bowl one day is very slim, but I think if I had to pick a late round guy to do it he's somebody I'd gamble on. Yes, I believe in blood lines, genetics, smarts, intelligence, leadership, playing for a big time coach, winning in college, being efficient in college, playing against the best teams in college, he was also dominant in high school. If 5% of guys drafted where he is make it, I'd bet that he's one of those 5%-ers.

The funny thing is he has a ton of potential upside. People always equate upside to guys like Cam Newton, Vince Young etc. but those guys never grow into the players you want them too. They are largely maxed out. The guys with the real upside are the braniac pocket passers that will study and do anything to win. That lanky backup QB from Michigan named Tom Brady had upside and so does McElroy. People just don't realize it yet.

underthe total
    under
    underthe total's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Br0nxer View Post
    brodie croyle 2.0 howd that work out
    i dont think this guy will make it due to his skills not being good enough, but croyle is a bad comparison, McElroy is much better

jwbama23
    LSUCKS
    jwbama23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

Funny that I just saw this thread and was saying the same thing to my fiance, I think he will push satchel in no time. He is a winner. Winners win and losers lose, its that simple

EaglesPhan36

I'd put money on Stanzi doing more in KC than McElroy in NY.

C-Gold

Quote Originally Posted by underthe total View Post
    i dont think this guy will make it due to his skills not being good enough, but croyle is a bad comparison, McElroy is much better

and what skills aren't good enough? He's a late round sleeper QB if I ever saw one.

People get so enamored with Physical skills. These stronged armed beauty pagent guys and these mobile scramlers come and go. Kyle Bollier or Jemarcus Russell can throw the ball 120 yards for all I care but they'll never be any good. Vince Young could run a 4.1 40 for all I care but he'll never be a good quarterback.

Look at what actually matters. What makes Tom Brady good? Is it his arm? Is it his foot speed? Once you have a minimum skill set ( and McElroy has it) it's all mental.

Smart guys are the ones with the upside, not running quarterbacks who rushed for a lot of yards in the spread that you are going to teach how to play quarterback.. Those guys have NO upside. You've already seen everything with them. The guys that played average in college but had rocket arms don't have the upside. They are one trick ponies.

McElroy is the guy with the strong upside not Cam Newton. We've seen Newtons best while McElroy is still developing. He's a freaking Rhodes scholar and legimate smart guy. He has the blood line. He's going to be on Monday Night football a few years from now and people will wonder how Rex Ryan stole this kid in the late rounds of the draft. People will say you can't predict this crap but you can increase your odds and probability of success more than you think.

underthe total
    under
    underthe total's Avatar Become A Pro!

right on c fold

i am not that passionate about it, just my opinion is that he cant throw the deep out. he couldnt in college so what makes you think he can in the nfl

i hope he is all world
    i am a bama fan so it will be nice if he makes it

CaptainPrice
    CaptainPrice's Avatar Become A Pro!

I like the move, good call