Iced
    Iced's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Iced's 2011 NFL Mock Draft

I'm a big fan of the NFL draft process and I follow it very closely. I've created a mock draft for the first round with write-ups for each pick. Below the write-up are two things. One, the "Other possibilities" are the other few players I could see going at that spot. The italicized names are players who I already have as being selected but who may fall. Two, the "Overall needs" is pretty self-explanatory, it's the needs of each team for the whole entire draft. Comments, questions, concerns, and disagreements are all welcome.

I handicap the NFL as well, so I'm really hoping the lockout ends, and I expect it to.

I'm an ESPN Insider so I get Mel Kiper's and Todd McShay's mock drafts. Here they are (viewable for everyone, Insider or not): [hover over the image with your mouse and click to magnify the article]
    Mel Kiper:
    http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...**/5546502.png
    Todd McShay: http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...**/5550607.png
    I don't pay much attention to their drafts, but it's interesting nonetheless. They're two of the most widely known draft analysts so I thought you guys might like reading their drafts if you want.

I hope everyone enjoys.

Rd. 1: Thurs., April 28, 8 p.m. ET
    Rds. 2-3: Fri., April 29, 6 p.m. ET
    Rds. 4-7: Sat., April 30, 12 ET
    Radio City Music Hall, New York

1. Carolina Panthers – Cam Newton (QB, Auburn)

New Head Coach Ron Rivera is in, ironically, a tough spot with this year’s number one overall choice. Unlike most years, there is no clear cut choice for the number one choice in this year’s draft. The Panthers had the worst scoring offense and worst passing offense last season while they had a relatively decent defense. Going defensive here with someone like Marcell Dareus or Patrick Peterson would give the Panthers an above-average young defense, but GM Marty Hurney and HC Ron Rivera both know that not taking a quarterback here would most likely mean a quick trip to the unemployment line. Between Cam Newton and Blaine Gabbert, it has been Cam Newton who has skyrocketed his draft status in the past couple months. Newton certainly has some baggage, but his college performance and athleticism cannot be denied. The comparisons to Vince Young and JaMarcus Russell are a bit meaningless, because the similarities are essentially nonexistent – other than that each of them are black. Newton’s throwing style, body type, and overall quarterbacking can be best compared to that of Ben Roethlisberger, with Cam being a wee bit more athletic. The Panthers can’t go through another year with Jimmy Claussen and they need to turn around their franchise now, and all indicators point towards a selection of Cam Newton by the Panthers. Personally, I think this is a poor choice and will not turn out well, but I’m supposed to be predicting the draft, not playing make-believe-GM. Hopefully Newton’s terrible intangibles don’t spoil his massive potential. This is the epitome of a high-risk/high-reward pick, but Cam Newton’s name should be the first one being called at Radio City Music Hall on April 28th.
    Other possibilities: Marcell Dareus, Patrick Peterson, A.J. Green
    Overall needs: QB, DT, CB, WR, DE

2. Denver Broncos – Von Miller (DE/OLB, Texas A&M)

The Broncos will be switching to a 4-3 defense under their new Head Coach John Fox, and their interior line is an absolute mess. As of now, they really don’t have one starting defensive tackle. However, all recent indicators say the Broncos love Von Miller and will take him here at two. Marcell Dareus could be the force inside that the Broncos need to both stuff the run and collapse the pocket on passing plays. Dareus weighs in at a hefty 319 pounds, but he has quick feet for his size – and he would fit in as a three-technique lineman, lining up at defensive tackle in the 4-3 and going outside to defense in 3-4 sub-packages. The Broncos have a glaring need at OLB and another need at CB (with Champ Bailey aging), so the Broncos will look to Von Miller to fill that need at OLB. Von Miller is better fit for a 3-4 system and I don’t think he can truly succeed in the Broncos’ 4-3 system. I am sure that a lot of draft “experts” on ESPN and NFL Network will defend the pick of Miller instead of Dareus by saying that there is plenty of defensive linemen talent later in the draft. One, that’s not completely true at the defensive tackle position as opposed to defensive end. Two, the OLB position will be plentiful early in the second round as well. Players like Akeem Ayers, Brooks Reed, Justin Houston, and others are all top-tier pass-rushing OLBs who the Broncos could take in the second round. New VP of Football Operations John Elway already has come out and said that he’s not too crazy with Newton or Gabbert, so I don’t expect any surprise quarterback choice either. Broncos are leaning towards Miller here, but I think it’s a mistake.
    Other possibilities: Marcell Dareus, Patrick Peterson
    Overall needs: DT, MLB, DE, TE, S

3. Buffalo Bills – Marcell Dareus (DT, Alabama)
    Buffalo has one of the easiest picks in the draft. If the Broncos take Miller, the Bills will take Dareus. If the Broncos take Dareus, the Bills will take Miller. Each guy fills a need for the Bills lackluster defense. To compete in the AFC East, they have to stop screwing up their first round draft selections – and this pick should be a slam dunk. My write-up for Marcell Dareus above still applies with the Bills here. Marcell Dareus is a force on the inside who should play at an elite level for many years.
    Other possibilities: Von Miller
    Overall needs: QB, OLB, LOT, DE, TE

4. Cincinnati Bengals – A.J. Green (WR, Georgia)
    With Carson Palmer threatening to retire if he is still in a Bengals uniform at the beginning of the season and the whole quarterback situation unclear, the Bengals know that they need someone special to throw to no matter who their quarterback may be. Terrell Owens is gone and Chad Johnson will be as well after the 2011-2012 season. A.J. Green is being touted as the best WR prospect since Calvin Johnson in 2007. The Bengals will need a talent like A.J. Green if they want to attract a veteran QB in free agency or to entice Carson Palmer to stay. There have been some rumors that Julio Jones is a better fit in the Bengals system, but I wouldn’t buy much into that – Green is the better talent and he should adapt fine to the West Coast system of the Bengals. There are whispers of the Bengals taking a quarterback here, but I don’t see it – the Bengals could shoot for a QB like Andy Dalton in the second round or try free agency if Carson Palmer doesn’t come back.
    Other possibilities: Julio Jones, Blaine Gabbert
    Overall needs: QB, WR, CB, SS, DT

5. Arizona Cardinals – Patrick Peterson (CB, LSU)

This is one of the most hotly debated selections of the draft among draft analysts and experts. The argument for the other choice is a quarterback, Blaine Gabbert. A pick for a quarterback definitely seems like it would make a lot of sense, but it really doesn’t considering the Cardinals situation as a whole. The head coach for the Cardinals, Ken Whisenhunt, is on the hot seat. Head coaches on the hot seat don’t draft unproven rookie quarterbacks. Larry Fitzgerald even said himself he does not want another year with an unproven quarterback – if the Cardinals want to keep Fitzy (which I assume they do) they will probably heed his advice. Going into free agency for a veteran quarterback like Kevin Kolb or Donovan McNabb or even Marc Bulger to come in and compete with John Skelton would be the best option for the Cardinals. Patrick Peterson is at the top of most draft boards in terms of talent, but he slides down to five because of his position – cornerback. Peterson matched up with Cromartie on opposite ends of the field would create one of the best cornerback duos in the NFL. If Von Miller slides to five, I can see the Cardinals taking Miller over Peterson.
    Other possibilities: Von Miller, Blaine Gabbert, Robert Quinn, TRADE DOWN
    Overall needs: QB, OLB, OT/OG, TE, CB

6. Cleveland Browns – Julio Jones (WR, Georgia)
    Cleveland needs a true #1 WR for Colt McCoy and Julio Jones is exactly the guy to go to. Jones is the far and away second best WR in the draft after A.J. Green and he can contribute to the offensive firepower that the Browns lacked last season. A powerful and tough WR with blazing speed, Jones can fit seamlessly into the West Coast system of the Browns which requires great run blocking and spectacular route-running. Robert Quinn is another possibility at the six spot for the Bengals, but the DT and DE positions are stacked in this year’s draft, so the Browns could certainly pick defensive linemen in the later rounds. The Browns go with Julio Jones here to help open up their offense.
    Other possibilities: Robert Quinn, Patrick Peterson, TRADE DOWN
    Overall needs: DE, WR, DT, ROT, OLB

7. San Francisco 49ers – Blaine Gabbert (QB, Missouri)

The 49ers desperately need a quarterback and it has become quite apparent at this point in time that Alex Smith is not the answer. Jon Harbaugh is the new head coach of the 49ers – and new regimes mean new faces, especially at the quarterback position. Harbaugh has a solid history of developing quarterbacks (i.e. Josh Johnson, Andrew Luck) and he will have a chance to do this with Gabbert as well, who Harbaugh tried to recruit when Gabbert was coming out of high school. San Francisco really needs help in the secondary, and I certainly wouldn’t fault the 49ers if they took Patrick Peterson if he fell this low, but I don’t see that happening. And Prince Amukamara isn’t worth a selection this high. Robert Quinn is another name floating around for this pick since the 49ers need help rushing the passer, but I think there are enough quality pass rushers in the later rounds that the 49ers can go ahead and take Gabbert with the seventh selection of the draft.
    Other possibilities: Patrick Peterson, Robert Quinn, Prince Amukamara
    Overall needs: QB, NT, CB, OLB, RB

8. Tennessee Titans – Nick Fairley (DT, Auburn)
    I’m pretty confident in this selection, especially for it being the eighth pick in the draft. Nick Fairley has a small body of work (really only one very impressive season in 2010) but he has tremendous value and upside. Once considered a top five selection, Fairley has fallen mainly because of that small body of work. The Titans have a bunch of needs on both sites of the ball, so this is really a selection of the best player available. Fairley can be a disruptive inside force in both the running and passing game – and in both the 4-3 and 3-4 situations. Jake Locker is rumored to be liked by some in the Titans organization, but it would be a grave mistake to reach for a guy like Locker this early in the draft. Picking Fairley has some risk attached to it, but the upside is definitely worth it in the eight spot.
    Other possibilities: Jake Locker, Robert Quinn, Julio Jones, TRADE DOWN
    Overall needs: QB, DT, ILB, OG, CB

9. Dallas Cowboys – Tyron Smith (OT, USC)
    This is another pick that I’m confident in so long as Jerry Jones doesn’t decide to take the reins on draft day and go crazy. Though, I do think Jerry will be sensible enough to see that the Cowboys desperately need help on the offensive line. Tyron Smith is considered one of, if not the best, offensive lineman in this year’s draft and he could definitely come in and be an immediate starter at right tackle to help protect Tony Romo from another broken collarbone. There are some questions about Smith (he didn’t play left tackle in college) and that has led to some speculation that taking Anthony Castonzo, the left tackle from Boston College, instead of Smith. I don’t see this playing out but I wouldn’t be surprised if it did happen. Strengthening the defense is another possibility for the Cowboys, but taking a strong offensive tackle would be the best bet for the Cowboys. Jerry Jones might want to strengthen the defense with a strong defensive end as well, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see an end getting taken here – or the Cowboys could trade down.
    Other possibilities: Anthony Castonzo, Cameron Jordan, J.J. Watt, TRADE DOWN
    Overall needs: DE, OT, S, ILB, CB

10. Washington Redskins – Robert Quinn (DE/OLB, North Carolina)

The Redskins choice at ten I see as highly unpredictable. There are three very possible ways they could go. One, they could take Robert Quinn, a player with number one overall talent – who could create havoc as a down end in the 4-3 or as an OLB in the 3-4 rushing off the edge. Two, they could strengthen their secondary by taking Prince Amukamara, since two of the Redskins starting cornerbacks (Carlos Rogers and Philip Buchanon) are becoming free agents. Third and finally, the Redskins could trade down for more draft picks – which Mike Shanahan has said to be considering (the Redskins have no third or fourth round pick). Another possibility is taking Jake Locker, but I hope that the Redskins organization wouldn’t be delusional enough to reach for Locker at ten. If Julio Jones falls all the way to ten, I think the Redskins would snatch him right up, but I don’t think he will be available this late. My educated guess is that the Redskins will take the potential game-changer in Quinn, but anything could happen.
    Other possibilities: Julio Jones, Prince Amukamara, Jake Locker, TRADE DOWN
    Overall needs: QB, NT, WR, OLB, OG

11. Houston Texans – Aldon Smith (DE/OLB, Missouri)
    Houston is undoubtedly going with a defensive player at the eleven spot. They will either go with an elite edge rusher or a top tier cornerback. In the Wade Philips system, elite OLBs are necessary for the system to thrive. Aldon Smith could potentially be that elite guy. He has even been drawing comparisons to DeMarcus Ware. The Texans could also use help in the secondary, but I don’t think they’ll take Prince Amukamara here. They could potentially trade up for Patrick Peterson though. The Arizona Cardinals are a potential trade partner.
    Other possibilities: Robert Quinn, Prince Amukamara, TRADE UP (for Patrick Peterson)
    Overall needs: OLB, DE/NT, CB, FS, SS

12. Minnesota Vikings – Jake Locker (QB, Washington)
    Earlier in the month, I had Jake Locker going twenty-fifth overall to the Seattle Seahawks. Locker has been skyrocketing on a lot of people’s boards and the Vikings are absolutely desperate for a quarterback. The Vikings can’t stick with Joe Webb and they can’t risk not getting a quarterback through free agency – they need a first-round caliber QB. I think it’s possible the Vikings trade down a few spots but still take Locker. If the Vikings don’t take a quarterback, defensive end seems like the most likely other position to be selected.
    Other possibilities: Da’Quan Bowers, Cameron Jordan, Aldon Smith, TRADE DOWN
    Overall needs: QB, FS, OT, DE, OLB

13. Detroit Lions – Prince Amukamara (CB, Nebraska)
    Prince Amukamara falls farther than his talent and skill level suggests, and the Lions could certainly use some help in the secondary. I think that the Lions War Room will rejoice if Prince falls this far as he can potentially be a shutdown corner in the NFL. On the other side, Matthew Stafford needs to be protected and an offensive tackle is a pressing need for the Lions. If the Lions took Tyron Smith or Anthony Castonzo here, I wouldn’t be surprised.
    Other possibilities: Tyron Smith, Anthony Castonzo, TRADE DOWN
    Overall needs: CB, WLB, SLB, OT, DE

14. St. Louis Rams – Corey Liuget (DT, Illinois)

Defensive line is definitely the position that the Rams will target if they stay at the fourteen spot. However, the Rams may want to trade up. Sam Bradford had no weapons last year other than Steven Jackson after Mark Clayton went down, and Julio Jones is someone who the Rams would definitely like to have paired with Bradford. The Cardinals, Browns, Titans, and Cowboys are the most probable trade partners seeing as how they all would like to trade down. Steven Jackson is getting up there and Mark Ingram could certainly help out in the backfield, but I don’t think the Rams reach for Ingram here. If the Rams aren’t able to trade up, I see them sticking with Corey Liuget who could step in immediately at defensive tackle, a big need for the Rams.
    Other possibilities: Aldon Smith, Mark Ingram, TRADE UP (for Julio Jones)
    Overall needs: WR, OLB, DT, RB, OG

15. Miami Dolphins – Mike Pouncey (OG/C, Florida)
    For the past couple months, everyone and their sister was projecting Mark Ingram to go fifteenth with the Dolphins. This is no longer the case. The Dolphins had a lot of problems last season at the interior line, and Pouncey (who has a great football pedigree) could step immediately and start at either guard position or center. Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams will both be free agents, but I no longer see the Dolphins reaching for Mark Ingram. The second most likely possibility I see besides the selection of Mike Pouncey at fifteen is for the Dolphins to trade down and eventually draft Ryan Mallett, who the Dolphins like to help to possibly solve their quarterback situation.
    Other possibilities: Mark Ingram, TRADE DOWN (for Ryan Mallett)
    Overall needs: RB, OG, QB, FS, ILB

16. Jacksonville Jaguars – Ryan Kerrigan (DE, Purdue)
    Defensive end is the position that the Jaguars will be targeting here. Kerrigan isn’t the most athletic guy, but he has a relentless motor and great intangibles. The Jaguars were severely lacking a pass rush last year and they will almost definitely take a pass rusher in this spot. They could take a risk on Da’Quan Bowers, but GM Gene Smith usually prefers safer picks.
    Other possibilities: Da’Quan Bowers, Aldon Smith, Cameron Jordan
    Overall needs: FS, DE, WR, OLB, QB

Iced

17. New England Patriots – Cameron Jordan (DE, California)
    The New England Patriots are my home team and my favorite team (born and live in Boston) and I spent a lot of time thinking about this pick. I know, I know, it doesn’t really matter since Bill Belichick is so unpredictable anyway – but I did anyway. Jordan isn’t the pass-rusher that the Patriots need, but he fits perfectly as a 3-4 defensive end in the Belichick system. He has a great football pedigree and will fit in perfectly in the Belichick system; he already played as a 3-4 defensive end at Cal. A trade wouldn’t surprise me here knowing Belichick, but I don’t expect the Patriots to take Mark Ingram, at least not at seventeen anyway. If Anthony Castonzo falls from the Lions, I do think that the Pats could take him here at seventeen to help upgrade their aging offensive line.
    Other possibilities: Muhammad Wilkerson, J.J. Watt, Anthony Castonzo, TRADE (UP OR DOWN?)
    Overall needs: OLB, DE, OT, OG, RB

18. San Diego Chargers – J.J. Watt (DE, Wisconsin)
    San Diego will probably be targeting a five-technique defensive end at this spot, and there are three players (Jordan, Watt, Wilkerson) who fit the profile of a 3-4 Chargers defensive end. Weighing in at 290 pounds, Watt could play down in both the 3-4 and 4-3 for the Chargers. Watt seems a bit unpredictable to forecast, he could go much higher or he could even fall a bit more.
    Other possibilities: Cameron Jordan, Muhammad Wilkerson, Akeem Ayers
    Overall needs: DE, ILB, OLB, ROT, WR

19. New York Giants – Anthony Castonzo (OT, Boston College)
    Anthony Castonzo is a tackle with top ten talent and the Giants are getting a lot of value here. The Giants have a very old offensive line, and Castonzo will be able to step in immediately to protect Eli Manning’s blindside – allowing the Giants to be able to move David Diehl inside. If Mike Pouncey is still here at nineteen, it’s very possible that the Giants could select him. Mark Ingram is another possibility to help bolster the Giants declining backfield.
    Other possibilities: Mike Pouncey, Mark Ingram, Gabe Carimi
    Overall needs: OLB, MLB, C/LOG, OT, TE

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Adrian Clayborn (DE, Iowa)
    Defensive end will be the target position for the Bucs in the first round. Da’Quan Bowers is a trendy pick in this spot, but I see him continuing to plunge down the draft board. Adrian Clayborn will be able to be the edge rusher that the Bucs desperately need. If Prince Amukamara falls this far, the Bucs will probably take him no matter what – the value would be too much to pass over. There is also word that the Bucs see a major drop-off after four defensive ends (Quinn, Watt, Jordan, Kerrigan) are gone, so they may want to trade up to get one of these guys.
    Other possibilities: Prince Amukamara, Da’Quan Bowers, Akeem Ayers, TRADE UP (for an elite defensive end)
    Overall needs: DE, MLB, CB, OLB, RB

21. Kansas City Chiefs – Gabe Carimi (OT, Wisconsin)
    Carimi is an elite run blocker who can play either left or right tackle immediately, which is exactly what the Chiefs need. Nose tackle Phil Taylor is another possibility since the Chiefs defensive tackles are getting up there in age. But I see the Chiefs sticking at offensive line, either with Carimi, Danny Watkins, or Nate Solder.
    Other possibilities: Anthony Castonzo, Danny Watkins, Nate Solder, Phil Taylor
    Overall needs: WR, ROT, NT, ILB, OLB

22. Indianapolis Colts – Nate Solder (OT, Colorado)
    Nate Solder is raw, but he has extremely high upside. If coached up properly, he can be a consistent starting left tackle for the rest of Peyton Manning’s career. The Colts will most likely go offensive tackle here, and it could be a few different guys.
    Other possibilities: Anthony Castonzo, Gabe Carimi
    Overall needs: OT, OG, DT, CB, WR

23. Philadelphia Eagles – Jimmy Smith (CB, Colorado)
    Colorado players get taken back to back here as the Eagles decide to improve their weak secondary. If it weren’t for his character concerns, Jimmy Smith would most likely be rated higher than Prince Amukamara. There is a glaring hole at the cornerback position opposite Asante Samuel, and Jimmy Smith should fit in quite well so long as his character concerns don’t persist.
    Other possibilities: Muhammad Wilkerson, Derek Sherrod
    Overall needs: CB, OLB, ROG, ROT, SS

24. New Orleans Saints – Mark Ingram (RB, Alabama)
    Taking Mark Ingram here is simply using the strategy of taking the best player available. The Saints have no pressing needs so this is a luxury pick. Pierre Thomas is always banged up and Reggie Bush is only a third-down back – Ingram is the best running back in the draft class and is a true work horse. The other ways the Saints could go is either adding depth along the defensive line or trading down to most likely a team that is looking to draft a quarterback.
    Other possibilities: Phil Taylor, Cameron Heyward, Da’Quan Bowers, TRADE DOWN
    Overall needs: DE, OLB, S, DT, RB

25. Seattle Seahawks – Andy Dalton (QB, TCU)
    Andy Dalton has really helped his draft status the past few months proving to be a very intelligent quarterback. Matt Hasselbeck is 35 years old and Charlie Whitehurst certainly isn’t the Seahawks future, so the Seahawks really need to draft a good, young quarterback soon. Dalton is a smart and accurate quarterback who could step in right away if Pete Carroll really needed him to, but I think developing Dalton for a year would be the best option. Either way, the Seahawks have to get a quarterback for the future.
    Other possibilities: Jake Locker, Christian Ponder, Marvin Austin, TRADE DOWN
    Overall needs: ROT, QB, OG/C, OLB, CB

26. Baltimore Ravens – Muhammad Wilkerson (DL, Temple)
    Leaving school early might have been a bad choice for Wilkerson because he would probably be a top ten pick if he stayed at Temple another year, but it means great value for the Ravens. The Ravens don’t have many needs other than at cornerback, but there are no cornerbacks around at this time in the draft that has as much value as Wilkerson (assuming Jimmy Smith is gone). Wilkerson will add depth to the Ravens defensive line; he can play end in the 3-4 or tackle in the 4-3 – he’s a big body who can really create havoc. Trading down to a team who needs a quarterback is another option.
    Other possibilities: Jimmy Smith, Cameron Heyward, Derek Sherrod, TRADE DOWN
    Overall needs: CB, WR, OT, DE, S

27. Atlanta Falcons – Da’Quan Bowers (DE, Clemson)
    The player who just a couple months ago was being touted as the number one overall pick is now in danger of falling completely out of the first round. His knee and fatigue issues have scared off a lot of teams. I wouldn’t be surprised if Bowers doesn’t even get selected in the first round, and then again I wouldn’t be surprised if he is a top 20 pick. Bowers has a ton of potential and a ton of talent, and the Falcons would be hard-pressed to pass on this kind of value. The Falcons are very interested in moving into a top seven pick to take an elite WR like Green or Jones to pair with Roddy White or to take the best player in the draft Patrick Peterson.
    Other possibilities: Kyle Rudolph, Adrian Clayborn, Brooks Reed, TRADE UP (A.J. Green, Julio Jones, Patrick Peterson)
    Overall needs: DE, OLB, OT/OG, TE, CB

28. New England Patriots – Danny Watkins (OG, Baylor)

The draft’s oldest prospect is also one of the best interior linemen available. The Patriots are getting old up front and Matt Light and Logan Mankins could both potentially be free agents depending on what happens after the lockout ends. Watkins is a Bill Belichick kind of player who is smart and will add depth at the guard position. If Mark Ingram slips here, it would be a pretty good idea to take him to add more depth to the Patriots RB corp. What the Patriots do at twenty-eight will of course depend on what they do at seventeen. And lest you forget, Bill Belichick loves trading draft picks, so that scenario is also alive and well.
    Other possibilities: Mark Ingram, Muhammad Wilkerson, Derek Sherrod, TRADE (UP OR DOWN?)
    Overall needs: OLB, DE, OT, OG, RB

29. Chicago Bears – Derek Sherrod (OT, Mississippi State)
    Derek Sherrod is the last remaining elite offensive tackle, and that’s a position that the Bears really need to improve. Sherrod can help the run game and will help ease the pressure off Cutler when he drops back. If Sherrod is already gone here or the Bears just don’t like him, the Bears will probably take defensive tackle Marvin Austin, who the Bears really like, especially since Tommie Harris will no longer be with the team. Wide receiver is another option being talked about here but I don’t really see it, the Bears need to improve on the line of scrimmage.
    Other possibilities: Marvin Austin, Jonathan Baldwin
    Overall needs: LOT, DT, WR, C, OLB

30. New York Jets – Akeem Ayers (OLB, UCLA)
    The Jets will definitely concentrate on the front seven with their first pick. The pass rush for the Jets isn’t what it used to be and an edge rusher like Ayers could help to fix that problem. Another possibility is upgrading the defensive line (Kris Jenkins is gone) with someone like Phil Taylor, who the Jets reportedly really like. Either way, the Jets will most likely improve their already stout defense in the first round of the draft.
    Other possibilities: Phil Taylor, Brooks Reed
    Overall needs: OLB, NT, DE, WR, OT/OG

31. Pittsburgh Steelers – Aaron Williams (CB, Texas)
    Secondary is a major need for the Steelers, and Aaron Williams is the prototypical Steelers cornerback. He is physical, a gifted athlete, and he could even convert to play safety. The Steelers are long overdue for fresh blood in the secondary, and Williams can certainly step in for them. Pittsburgh would reportedly like to move up and get Mike Pouncey – the brother of current Steeler Maurkice, so trading up is certainly a slight possibility.
    Other possibilities: Ras-I Dowling, Brandon Harris, Cameron Heyward, TRADE UP (offensive line)
    Overall needs: OG, CB, OT, NT, WR

32. Green Bay Packers – Cameron Heyward (DE, Ohio State)
    The reigning Super Bowl Champions have a couple small needs, but nothing major. Cameron Heyward is a five-technique defensive end who would have been picked much higher if not for the stacked defensive ends in this draft class. With Cullen Jenkins entering free agency, Heyward would be able to step in and take over if the Packers can’t re-sign him. The Packers could go a few ways with this pick, but they are mostly well-equipped to handle this lockout – they have no glaring holes or needs.
    Other possibilities: Akeem Ayers, Brooks Reed, Aaron Williams
    Overall needs: DE, OLB, OG, WR, RB

===
    THE END
    ===
    Points Awarded:

bobbyfk gave Iced 5 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Cap dat 4ss

Roadtrip635
    Roadtrip635's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21078

Nice write up, very insightful. Agreed with many of your picks and notes.

Dank_Fire
    Dank_Fire's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5453

Nice write ups! I'm going to keep referencing back to this thread as the rds progress. Have fun!!

Iced

Quote Originally Posted by Roadtrip635 View Post
    Nice write up, very insightful. Agreed with many of your picks and notes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dank_Fire View Post
    Nice write ups! I'm going to keep referencing back to this thread as the rds progress. Have fun!!
    Thanks fellas.

I was scoping the lines on 5dimes today because the prop bet lines this year were tighter than usual. I got one line I really liked:
    (1x) Jake Locker drafted before Mark Ingram (+100)
    It was mostly at -120 for the day, and it went right back to -120 seconds after I made my bet. In my mock, I have Jake Locker going twelve picks before Mark Ingram -- and I don't see many situations where Ingram is drafted before Locker.

The limit is $100, and my base unit is $100 fyi.

Ace_of_Spades
    Golazo De Riverrrr!
    Ace_of_Spades's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

Your middle name is boring.

bobbyfk
    Las Vegas Local
    bobbyfk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1506

GREAT write up!!

romecloneout
    romecloneout's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 489

perfect so far lol

Iced

Quote Originally Posted by Ace_of_Spades View Post
    Your middle name is boring.
    Huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbyfk View Post
    GREAT write up!!
    Thanks bobby, I appreciate the points and the complements.
    Quote Originally Posted by romecloneout View Post
    perfect so far lol
    Lol, three down, twenty-nine to go.

Iced

Quote Originally Posted by Iced View Post
    The Falcons are very interested in moving into a top seven pick to take an elite WR like Green or Jones to pair with Roddy White
    Called it.

And I just realized I listed Julio Jones as a Georgia alum. He's from Alabama, sorry for the typo.

Cap dat 4ss
    okst. -13.5
    Cap dat 4ss's Avatar Become A Pro!

Very nice thread. Great predictions too.

CanuckG
    CanuckG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 584

Jake locker titans baby

Iced

Quote Originally Posted by Cap dat 4ss View Post
    Very nice thread. Great predictions too.
    Thanks Cap.
    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckG View Post
    Jake locker titans baby
    A little bit of a reach, but I'll take it.

(1x) Jake Locker drafted before Mark Ingram (+100) ----- WIN (+1 unit)

Well, that Locker bet was a bit too easy. If 5dimes didn't have a weak $100 limit, I would have made much more on that.

Roadtrip635

My Cowboys took the guy I hoped they would in that spot,

Iced

My Cowboys took the guy I hoped they would in that spot,
    Great selection by da Boys, they needed a tackle.

The draft hasn't been too crazy thus far. All my selections have been pretty close. The only one I am surprised about thus far is the Jaguars trading up to get Gabbert.

I love the way the draft is setting up for my Patriots too.

Roadtrip635

Vikings take Ponder? Really?

A little surprised the Pats didn't take Cam Jordan.

Iced

Vikings take Ponder? Really? A little surprised the Pats didn't take Cam Jordan.
    Vikings reached for Ponder. Andy Dalton didn't even get drafted in the first round, the Vikings could have waited. I preferred Castonzo and Carimi over Solder, but I don't mind the Pats passing on Jordan. The trade away from the 28 pick is a great one -- the Pats get the Saints 2nd round pick this year and their 1st round pick next year, so the Pats now have three 2nd round picks for tomorrow.

I'm pretty happy with how my mock ended up. I went 10 for 20 in the first twenty picks hitting at 50%. I didn't get any picks right in the last twelve picks, mainly due to trades. I did get Mark Ingram going to the Saints right, but there was a trade so I can't count that. So I finished 10 for 32 hitting at 31.25%. The average draft "expert" (ie. Mel Kiper, Todd McShay, Mike Mayock, etc) usually hits at a little less than 20%, so I'm pretty pleased with the results.

And I hit my lone prop bet for this year's NFL draft adding a cool one unit.

I always like the first round of the draft the best, but the next six rounds should be fun as well.

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Well done, nice call on Bowers possibly falling out of the 1st round.

mlb
    mlb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12779

nice call on a lot of those