zoso11871
    zoso11871's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2334

I didn't really understand this either.

kingdom
    kingdom's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1957

white guys are weird. who wouldn't want the guy as a rookie that was the most electrifying player possibly in college football history? for you few carolina fans that are complaining, he will have no problems selling out the stadium. i remember as a falcons fan i was happy we made the moves to draft mike vick. and football was more exciting in that dome than it ever has been. he sold the dome out for six straight years and he won. as did young. check the records. and young had a coach that never gave him a real opportunity because he didnt want him as the pick and tried constantly to replace him and shatter his confidence. in the right situation, vince will prosper again. how quickly you forget he was the most dangerous player in the 4th quarter in football the season b4 fisher benched him for 2 years after one bad game and reaction.

Glitch
    Glitch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

ticket sales. upside potential. he can throw, and he can definitely do everything else. only thing stupid about it was they already have clausen.

cam will get people in the seats though.

BiffTFinancial
    BiffTFinancial's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5368

amazing talent, but Leaf and Russell had that too. from the interview with Gruden, it was clear that Newton doesn't get the game mentally. he has ten times the physical talent of Colt McCoy, but in the NFL, getting the offense organized, to the line, through the pre-snap reads and into the play before the play clock expires is a talent in and of itself. maybe he will, but right now, looks like it's going to be a long road.

C-Gold
    C-Gold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 843

Quote Originally Posted by kingdom View Post
    white guys are weird. who wouldn't want the guy as a rookie that was the most electrifying player possibly in college football history? for you few carolina fans that are complaining, he will have no problems selling out the stadium. i remember as a falcons fan i was happy we made the moves to draft mike vick. and football was more exciting in that dome than it ever has been. he sold the dome out for six straight years and he won. as did young. check the records. and young had a coach that never gave him a real opportunity.
    You are crazy, I don't even know where to begin.

" White guys are crazy"
    - and you are racist

" electrifying college player"
    - that hardly means he will be a great NFL player, there are dozens of examples of electrifying college players that couldn't even make a pro roster.

"Selling out the stadium"
    - Almost every NFL team sells out their stadium for every game. The best way of doing so is winning, Cam Newton is not the best or easiest way to do that.

"Mike Vick in Atlanta"
    - Exciting but what did he win? Atlanta now has a better QB that won't embarass himself or end up in jail. Matt Ryan has a better shot at winning a super bowl than Con-VICK

"Mike Vick and Vince Young won, check the records"
    - What, some meaningless regular season games? So have Byron Leftwich and David Garrard, big deal. Has Vince Young even made the playoffs? Mike Vick was drafted in what 2002 and what has he ever won? He hasn't even been close to MAKING the super bowl nevermind winning it.

The purpose of selecting a Quarterback in the top 10 is winning a super bowl. It's not making sportscenter where you juke out a defensive end to pick up 11 yards on a scramble, it's about winning a superbowl.

Hsilas30
    Hsilas30's Avatar Become A Pro!

Couldnt have said it better myself Bruh.

sportfan
    sportfan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4425

Carolina is getting worse

BettingWizard
    BettingWizard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 102

never take a guy that has no chance at being any better in the pros, than he was in college. Newton has zero upside, what you see is what you're gonna get for however long he lasts

A.J. Green is the type of guy you pick first. Sky is the limit for him.

jollyoscars
    jollyoscars's Avatar Become A Pro!

turrible pick! shoulda gone peterson or green. agreed

stikymess
    stikymess's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 63

Could be the Michael Jordan effect, teams are scared to pass and end up with Bowie instead of the next great thing. Time will tell how Cam ends up.

JosephPavs
    JosephPavs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 148

Agreed #JR #VY

C-Gold

Quote Originally Posted by BettingWizard View Post
    never take a guy that has no chance at being any better in the pros, than he was in college. Newton has zero upside, what you see is what you're gonna get for however long he lasts

The funny thing is people always say the mobile quarterbacks are the guys with all the "upside" but it's pretty much never the truth. You are what you are to a certain degree. The logic is that if you could take a Vince Young with all that physical skills and MAKE him smart then he'd be unstopable but that's never going to happen. All of these coaches think they have the magic touch but it's not going to happen. It's smoke and mirrors. We've literally never seen the coaches make one of these mobile guys "smart". The best example would be Vick last year in that very user friendly, short passing game in Philly with the dinks and dunks but that's different. When have you ever seen a tim tebow type guy just "change" and be able to rip apart a defense like Drew Brees? NEVER. The best QB's are pocket passers AND THE GUYS WITH THE MOST POTENTIAL ARE THE UNPOLISHED POCKET PASSERS.

Tom Brady coming out of Michigan had "upside". Cam Newton coming out of Auburn has none. He will never surgically tear apart a defense like Aaron Rodgers. It's never going to happen. At best he'll be a Vince Young and Vince Young just got released.

BetWeather
    BetWeather's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 143

Cam Newton coming out of Auburn has none.

freelee
    Update your status
    freelee's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 466

the Gm's seem to never learn cam will be a complete bust

freelee
    Update your status
    freelee's Avatar SBR PRO

if cam was white he wouldn't have even be drafted

freelee
    Update your status
    freelee's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by kingdom View Post
    white guys are weird. who wouldn't want the guy as a rookie that was the most electrifying player possibly in college football history? for you few carolina fans that are complaining, he will have no problems selling out the stadium. i remember as a falcons fan i was happy we made the moves to draft mike vick. and football was more exciting in that dome than it ever has been. he sold the dome out for six straight years and he won. as did young. check the records. and young had a coach that never gave him a real opportunity because he didnt want him as the pick and tried constantly to replace him and shatter his confidence. in the right situation, vince will prosper again. how quickly you forget he was the most dangerous player in the 4th quarter in football the season b4 fisher benched him for 2 years after one bad game and reaction.
    young and vick have combined to win a total of 2 playoff games

pozzy
    pozzy's Avatar Become A Pro!

Newton would succede under the right coaches and system.. He is going to fail in Carolina..

Jaug
    1 in 2.7 mill
    Jaug's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2977

Quote Originally Posted by BettingWizard View Post

A.J. Green is the type of guy you pick first. Sky is the limit for him.
    Agree

C-Gold

Quote Originally Posted by freelee View Post
    young and vick have combined to win a total of 2 playoff games
    That's over the course of about 15 years. 10 for Vick and about 5 for Young.

Mobility is great for getting your mug all over sportscenter, it's bad when you rely on it to win championships.

C-Gold

Quote Originally Posted by BetWeather View Post
    Cam Newton coming out of Auburn has none.
    That's my point. The thinking with mobile quarterbacks is so shallow I just don't understand it. You see what Vick does and fall in love with the guy to the point where anything he does wrong is automatically his teammates fault because YOU KNOW he's good.

Vick never had any receivers in Atlanta right? Remember all of the blame that Atlanta was a one man team? Well if Vick bothered to practice, open up his playbook, and WORK he would have realized he had a pretty good WR in Roddy White.

YOU SEE the positives in Vick but you don't realize or even understand the negatives with these scramblers. A good QB makes it look easy and a great QB makes the guys around him better. These scramblers NEVER do that.

Ask yourself why these guys always have the poor excuse that " Johnny scrambler QB never has any talent around him". It's because they don't make the guys around them look better. Peyton Manning could turn Johnny 3rd string tight end into a 40 catch guy. He was really lacking talent around him this year but he makes it work. How many catches do you think Austin Collie and Pierre Garcon would have if Vince Young was their quarterback with that poor offensive line and no running game?

Tom Brady in the 6th round has "upside"
    Johhny the 4.5 40 yard dash and 1500 rushing yards in college has no upside.

BetWeather

newton cant throw to the outside !!!!

xxxvince
    xxxvince's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 156

if cam is white.. we wont be having this conversation. everyone will be praising and happy he is num 1.. racist

dice
    dice's Avatar Become A Pro!

Cam Newton = Jamarcus Russell. Both dominated college because the college game is slow, and both were physically big with good arms by college standards. Gabbert will make a good second teamer, while Dalton was the best QB in this year's draft and will soon be a starter.

C-Gold

Quote Originally Posted by xxxvince View Post
    if cam is white.. we wont be having this conversation. everyone will be praising and happy he is num 1.. racist

Yeah because nobody bashed Tim Tebow last year... Haters gonna hate.

Cam Newton is a bust waiting to happen. 5 years from now people will laugh at Carolina being pressured into picking the "exciting" player. He's the specimen people love at the draft, but his ilk never turn into super bowl winning and franchise leading players. Carolina will have all the egg in the world on their face.

Blazermaniac
    Blazermaniac's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1027

Time will tell boys. But we pretty much have an idea who will succeed and who won't. Don't forget the name Capernick....3 years from now.

SBR_John
    Wisky
    SBR_John's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42225

i like the pick...He is a smarter Vince Young. Is he Hall material? Hmm probably not. But he should make a run at being All Pro in a couple of years and at least be a top 10 QB.

dice
    dice's Avatar Become A Pro!

SBRJohn, I respect your take. But, look at history. The odds are against him. The NFL game is much more faster. He is extremely athletic but that doesn't equal success in the NFL. I think he has peaked.

tunaguitar76
    tunaguitar76's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 895

it would be a better situation if he was given the time to learn and develop. it seems like he is just gonna be thrown out there and not sure he has the tools to learn on the fly... should be interesting.

C-Gold

Quote Originally Posted by SBR_John View Post
    i like the pick...He is a smarter Vince Young. Is he Hall material? Hmm probably not. But he should make a run at being All Pro in a couple of years and at least be a top 10 QB.

He's actually a dumber Vince Young. Vince also trained and started for 3 years in college. Cam Newton was a 1 year wonder. He's a bust if I ever saw one. How confident are you that he's going to put in 14 hours days to get it right?

I highly highly highly doubt he'll even have the career Vince Young had and Vince Young hasn't even been top 15. So you're telling me your drafting a below average NFL starting QB at best. Horrible pick.

wookieehumper
    wookieehumper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 114

cam is going to be a bust and probably won't even start ahead of clausen... i can't believe carolina's management is getting paid millions to make dumb decisions like this

BetWeather

So much negative in this post....

Most of the fat bastards doing the talking here can
    barely wattle to the fridge for another pack of hot dogs.

I think newton will do a fine job.

MWade
    MWade's Avatar Become A Pro!

anyone else disgusted at the Pats love?
    They pick up Mallett and suddenly every NFL analyst is creaming their pants 'OH BELLICHICK WHAT A GENIOUS PICK MALLETT THE BEST QB IN THIS DRAFT FOR SURE OMG THIS IS THE BEST PICK IN THE WORLD MALLETT IS THE NEXT BRADY HE WILL WIN IT ALL <3333'

Glitch
    Glitch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

so many people guessing on what we havent got any sorta chance to see. i have a feeling this thread might be dug up in october to make fun of the wrong people in october like JJ's derrick rose will never be good thread.

dmiles1021
    YouWager.eu
    dmiles1021's Avatar Become A Pro!

hawww fuckin true

Frostware
    Frostware's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5433

Time will tell I guess

First 123 Last