Masu485
    Masu485's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12813

Is it worth it to get an MBA?

I have heard that now everyone has an MBA so it's useless.

Is this true?

How long does it take to get?

No thesis or anything involved? Sounds pretty easy, especially since everyone has one.

VegasInsider
    Update your status
    VegasInsider's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

You can get your MBA in 3 semesters if you really push yourself. Most people do it in 2 years. I'm not sure about a thesis, but it's long class hours and I believe most programs require a certain GRE or GMAT score. It's starting to become a watered-down degree in today's job market...it seems like every 25-26 year old entering the job market for the first time has one. I never had any interest in getting my MBA, rather just enter the workforce and see what happens later down the road.

Ninersnut
    Money talks and bullshit runs marathons
    Ninersnut's Avatar Become A Pro!

Was thinking about it but I'm actually gonna sit for my CPA in a few months. CPA will have it's advantages more than the MBA. Depends on your other major tho. CPA makes sense for me since I have the Accounting degree...

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

A lot depends on the school. Although an MBA doesn't offer any competitive advantage in my current situation, it is something i still would love to have. Absolutely beneficial in the business world, and simply another leg up over those who do not have one.

If you're still young, I would do it. No question.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

actiondan
    actiondan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16732

Your either a good businessman or your not, an MBA wont help you become a better businessman. Just a piece of paper that will open some doors.

Onefreedm1nd
    Onefreedm1nd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 856

Not if the Heat win the title

Blax0r
    Blax0r's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1512

I think MBAs would only be +EV if you attend one of the top 20 US schools or a handful of european/asian schools; the logic being you get an MBA to get higher-paying jobs, which tend to recruit only at elite schools. You can check the job placement/salary reports and confirm w/ your own eyes.

I wouldn't waste the time or money on an MBA from a non-elite school unless your company's paying for it (and will likely give you a promotion upon completion).

iceminers26
    iceminers26's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Masu485 View Post
    I have heard that now everyone has an MBA so it's useless. Is this true? How long does it take to get? No thesis or anything involved? Sounds pretty easy, especially since everyone has one.
    Well if everyone has one as you put it, and you decide not to get it because you view it as useless, where does that put you on that chain to potential employers?

The ones that tell you don't, are probably the ones that don't have an MBA. Aside from labor jobs, its a fact that individuals with an MBA earn far more over a lifetime than individuals with just their Bachelors. It cannot hurt you to get it, only help you so if you can take a loan and have some free time, I'd say go for it. It will open up more doors and more than likely your starting salary will be higher.

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

If you can afford the tuition without taking on a ton of debt an MBA will open a ton of doors for you in the workplace and give you a ton of networking connections. I'd recommend it if you are serious about having a long and prosperous business career.

doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011
    doublej95's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

Quote Originally Posted by actiondan View Post
    Your either a good businessman or your not, an MBA wont help you become a better businessman. Just a piece of paper that will open some doors.

The truth.

LLXC
    LLXC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10451

If you get a MBA from a GREAT school it means something. Otherwise, it holds little weight.

shaggy3000
    shaggy3000's Avatar Become A Pro!

i dont even know what an MBA is. im thinking of going back to school if K-roger will pay for it. figure ill milk that. if they see a decorated employee that they paid for them to go get their masters degree then it will help force them to promote me higher faster.

and i really doubt everyone has anything above a 4-year degree. hell most of the job market doesnt even have that. so anything above and beyond that will always help you. but if you lack personality it wont matter what degree you have. business people have to be sales people first and foremost. got to sell yourself at everything. i turned down 3 job offers and walked away from one because i knew i would kill every interview i got. thats what you need to focus on more than a higher degree

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24843

What if you had a chance to attend Wharton School of Bus? That would seem like gold to me (not JJ).

toga toga
    toga toga's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8347

If you have a job that will pay for it and you go at night - it is worth it. If you are going to pay for the MBA, then I would only suggest taht you attend if you can get into a top flight school. Depending upon what you want to do - if you intend to go into Finance, I would suggest that you attempt to get a CFA (Chartered Financial Analyst). It is difficult, but if you can get it (takes 2 1/2 years) it carries more weight than an MBA since fewer people have it. However, it is only worth it if you are going into finance. Good luck with whatever you elect to do.

Resler
    Resler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 57

Well if everyone has an MBA then that means it would be even more important for you to have one to compete, right???? I just started on mine, company is paying for it. It is not an elite school, but I still think it will be beneficial later down the road. If you have an MBA grad against a non MBA most employers are going with the MBA. After I get an MBA I will probably work on a Master of Leadership or Public Administration, something else to complement.

Iced
    Iced's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Like Blax0r said, only worth it if you go to an elite school. If you want an MBA, you presumably want to make more money. Employers that pay the big bucks (six figures) are consulting firms, banks, and large corporations (ie. Fortune 100). These employers almost exclusively hire from the elite MBA schools.

If you get an MBA from your local school or flagship state university, you will most likely get a some-what better job than your previous job with some-what better pay. However, this job will probably only be a mid-management or possibly higher at pay lower than six figures. In the two years it took you to get an MBA from this average school, you could have made X amount of money (rather than paying money) and gained two more years of work experience.

To answer your original questions:
    - It is becoming more and more useless since more and more people are getting MBAs.
    - 2 years for a full-time MBA. They can be more or less whether you're part-time or it's an accelerated program, but the traditional MBAs are 2 years.
    - It is one of the easier master degrees to obtain, yes. No thesis.

Elite schools imo (18 schools):
    - Harvard
    - UPenn (Wharton)
    - UChicago
    - Stanford
    - Northwestern (Kellogg)
    - Cal Berkeley (Haas)
    - Columbia
    - MIT
    - Duke
    - Dartmouth (Tuck)
    - UMichigan (Ross)
    - UVirginia (Darden)
    - Yale
    - NYU (Stern)
    - Cornell (Johnson)
    - UCLA (Anderson)
    - Carnegie Mellon (Tepper)
    - UNC-Chapel Hill (Kenan-Flagler)

These schools all have national reach and you could get hired anywhere in the United States with a probable six-figure salary if you had an MBA from one of these schools. There are a few other great schools as well, but these are the cream of the crop. MBAs aren't really recommended if you can't get into one of these schools, but there are a few exceptions. Good luck on your search pal.

dice
    dice's Avatar Become A Pro!

It's worth it if you go to a top ten program, or start your own business. Otherwise, you'll likely not get a positive ROI for your time and money spent on the additional schooling. Yes, I have one. If you're ambitious, I say go for it!!!!!

flyingillini
    flyingillini's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2187

It just all depends what you want to do with your life. I needed my Master's to accomplish what I have due to State regulations. I know a guy without a high school education who is worth at least 20 million.... Just all depends..... I would get it if it were me...

lcscanada
    lcscanada's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Blax0r View Post
    I think MBAs would only be +EV if you attend one of the top 20 US schools or a handful of european/asian schools; the logic being you get an MBA to get higher-paying jobs, which tend to recruit only at elite schools. You can check the job placement/salary reports and confirm w/ your own eyes.

I wouldn't waste the time or money on an MBA from a non-elite school unless your company's paying for it (and will likely give you a promotion upon completion).
    Exactly. Spent 30k, 2 years to get mine and I never worked more than a year in an office. If you get in good with an established company, you can move up ladders a lot more quickly. It also looks good on a resume, but another problem is you may be over qualified for a lot of positions and will get passed over. It's ironic but true. Other than that, it's just an expensive gloating piece of paper you have on the wall.

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

MBA's are kind of weak...you can get one on-line for $59.95

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

Broad handed me a business card last week general manager of a mini golf course and it said MBA

That's all I have to say about an MBA if you go to a mediocre school

unusialsusp5
    unusialsusp5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3601

it really doesn't matter...the job market is shrinking daily anyway...no one wants to hire you to try to make money off people who have no money since they're spending it all on gas...just wait until may 16 when china stops buying our treasury bonds...inflation city as our dollar becomes worth less and less...

iceminers26
    iceminers26's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Sanchez View Post
    MBA's are kind of weak...you can get one on-line for $59.95
    With knowledge like your post above, I'm guessing you picked up a pair at that bargain price

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Worth having, but not worth getting.