shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

Donald Young - the future of US tennis???!!!

Donald Young’s expletive-filled outburst at the USTA on Twitter was in response to him not receiving a wild card into Roland Garros prior to the organization holding a tournament for it, TENNIS.com has learned.

After Young won the Tallahassee Challenger last Sunday, a member of his camp e-mailed the USTA and requested that he be given the organization's wild card, even though the USTA had its wild-card playoff set to start in Boca Raton from Tuesday-Friday, with six players already entered. The USTA denied his request, and Young subsequently fell 6-7 (4), 6-4, 6-3, 6-2 to Tim Smyczek in the final. After his loss, Young then tweeted:
    "F*** USTA! Their full of s***! They have screwed me for the last time!"

A little while later Young shut down his Twitter page.

Even though Young won Tallahassee and cracked the Top 100, at No. 98, he missed the rankings cut-off for the French Open the week prior, when he failed to qualify for Houston. Young had his best tournament ever in March at Indian Wells when qualified and upset Andy Murray in the second round. But he fell to Dennis Istomin in the first round of Miami the following week and failed to make enough rankings headway.
    Young’s response was surprising, given that the ruling body of American tennis has provided him with free coaching and training throughout different periods of his career, and he recently credited the USTA for helping get him into shape and more focused on his game. He has used USTA coaches at almost every tournament he has entered in 2011 and has also used them at USTA training centers in Florida and California.

While the 21-year-old has been using USTA coaching, he is also still coached by his parents, Donald Sr. and Illona, and was working with his mother at the Houston tournament. The USTA has said in the past that it is willing to work with his parents, but they want him to spend some time alone with its coaches, which he did last winter in California, when he was working out with fellow players Sam Querrey and Mardy Fish, and right after the Australian Open in Florida, when he was working with USTA coach Jay Berger.

It is unclear why Young thought the USTA would cancel its pre-established wild card playoff when fellow players Smyczek, Denis Kudla, Andrea Collarini, Alexios Halebian and Jordan Cox had already been invited to play and were on site at the Boca West Country Club.

Neither Young nor his representatives responded to requests for comments.
    American teenager Ryan Harrison, who has won USTA wild card play-offs before, declined to play the Boca tournament, saying that he wanted to earn his way into the Grand Slams the hard way by qualifying on site.

The USTA and the French Tennis Federation have a reciprocal agreement in which men’s and women’s singles main draw wild cards into the 2011 French Open and the 2011 U.S. Open are exchanged.Matthew Cronin

beefcake
    Update your status
    beefcake's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 178

Donald just keep playing those challengers and make a living..

Ungrateful bastard..

gators0708
    gators0708's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14372

He"s been given enough wildcards already

reformed
    reformed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 846

here is the problem with his views. if he cannot get through qualifying, then presumably he would lose in the first round anyway. So why is he going there then? for that 1st round automatic paycheck....just sad. When I played juniors I looked up to this guy and cheered for him to beat querrey when they met for the kalmazoo title but he has turned out to be a waste of talent and obviously ungrateful.

gators0708

They should have just had the winner of Tallahassee get the wildcard instead of having a media only tournament in Boca

ha1ogen
    ha1ogen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2797

lol donald young is a joke, now ryan sweeting is guy we should keep an eye on

gators0708

Yes, Sweeting is on the rise.. Saw him play in Delray has a very good game

delpiero7
    delpiero7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1720

Wow, what an outburst from Young. The guy has recieved loads of unwarranted wildcards into ATP events and crashed out in the 1st round in the huge majority of those tournaments. One good win (against a massively subpar Murray) and he seems to think he's bigger than the USTA, the organisation that has wasted dozens of WCs on him in the past few years.

Grow a pair and qualify, you big baby.

Pride
    rally rally rally
    Pride's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 200

sweeting wont go anywhere and neither will young.

weak players. us tennis is pretty bleak atm.

at least canada has raonic

necro
    Update your status
    necro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 108

sore loser, he should concectrate on his play, not on his rankings

iifold
    Update your status
    iifold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1774

Shari.. that is too much for me to read right now...

Give me a late night tennis winner to put in before bed..

Thanks

beefcake
    Update your status

Shari, try and control yourself now with all these tourneys this week! I expect nothing less than 70% winners..LOL>>

Boner_18
    Update your status
    Boner_18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1031

Young stunted his development by 1) having to big a head and 2) keeping his parents managing his career.

Ace_of_Spades
    Golazo De Riverrrr!
    Ace_of_Spades's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

I don't get this thread. Kinda useless really.

AbleFollow
    AbleFollow's Avatar Become A Pro!

no-no-no.... he had his chances. And he didn't use them right

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

He's definitely not the future of US tennis.

I question anyone who really thought that anytime in the last few years.

iceminers26
    iceminers26's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by ha1ogen View Post
    lol donald young is a joke, now ryan sweeting is guy we should keep an eye on
    Young will continue to fail in the spot light, guy just can't compete on the top circuit.

gregm
    gregm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 121

I have zero hopes right now for American tennis, Young has turned out to be an enormous disappointment and I am shocked at how bad oudin has been playing. I really thought these two players from the state of Georgia, Isner and Oudin would be a new wave for american tennis, while Isner has had some great matches , Oudin seems to have tanked completely since her great display at the US open.

Maybe Sweeting or Harrison, who knows with American tennis, lets just hope more Eastern Europeans relocate to florida to train with Nick or someone, then we can adopt them as Americans. LOL.

reformed
    reformed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 846

this situation is a perfect example why american tennis sucks now, these american players have a sense of entitlement and dont have the hunger to win like the europeans and other international tennis players.

Doc JS
    Doc JS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

there is no hope for usa tennis...

Doc

Domestic
    Domestic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1756

Man, Europe just dominates so many sports these days.

iceminers26
    iceminers26's Avatar Become A Pro!

Oudin is a quitter, first sign of adversity and she is done

Agree with Doc, there is currently no hope for US tennis

yisman

shari you could've just titled it Donald Young. Everyone knows the kid ain't anything special.

Glitch
    Glitch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

no way. he has problems against adults. what an awkward guy.

shari91

Quote Originally Posted by yisman View Post
    shari you could've just titled it Donald Young. Everyone knows the kid ain't anything special.
    Haha. I just used the words of the person who Tweeted me the link.

And Acer - this article actually shows an aspect of the USTA that the more casual observers of tennis wouldn't know ie how they'll request a player's family to step back, the level of support they give younger players, etc. The fact that he turned around and said what he did after all they have done for him is a major talking point in tennis circles right now.

beefcake
    Update your status

fade him tommorrow in sarasota.I wonder if the folks in florida will boo him?

shari91

Quote Originally Posted by beefcake View Post
    fade him tomorrow in sarasota.I wonder if the folks in florida will boo him?
    I wouldn't be surprised. You'd think that the only people watching the match would be pretty keen tennis fans so they'd most likely know about his hissy fit.

It's funny because Woz has either hired or is about to hire Navratilova in some sort of coaching capacity, which is obviously a big deal considering it signals she's finally accepted that she needs to become more offensive with her style of play, and yet more people are still talking about this nitwit.

ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9788

thought he was the future 4 years ago but he still belongs in

yisman

ttwarrior, aren't you the future?

gregm
    gregm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 121

Quote Originally Posted by shari91 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised. You'd think that the only people watching the match would be pretty keen tennis fans so they'd most likely know about his hissy fit.

It's funny because Woz has either hired or is about to hire Navratilova in some sort of coaching capacity, which is obviously a big deal considering it signals she's finally accepted that she needs to become more offensive with her style of play, and yet more people are still talking about this nitwit.
    I read that Shari, I think it would be worth the high price. I watched Wozniacki and she looked so passive today, she wasn't hitting the ball with any strength today and relying on rallies and defense way too much, and seemed to make alot more errors today than normal. Goerges had her running all over the court today.

Wozniacki's style of play is so based on her consistency but players like goerges can really dictate play, Woz has played a ton of matches lately though and may have been tired. Such a shame, a porsche is such a cool prize, I really love watching that tournament.

The germans have been really impressive lately.

beefcake
    Update your status

I finally watched a wozi math yesterday and I so hate when she is in trouble she pulls that moonball shit all the time to change the pace. Her game is so vanilla and passive..it will work to a certain extent, I realize(as much as I hate to say it) how much I miss the Williams sisters..

MUHerd37
    Status Your Update.
    MUHerd37's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10678

Donald Young needs to STFU and play his way into the tournaments.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Young???

You cannot beat foreigners in Tennis

Americans have zero heart anymore

StraitShooter
    Miami Florida
    StraitShooter's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by yisman View Post
    He's definitely not the future of US tennis.

I question anyone who really thought that anytime in the last few years.
    I agree..never thought of him but as an average player with more valleys than peaks

StraitShooter
    Miami Florida
    StraitShooter's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post

Young???

You cannot beat foreigners in Tennis

Americans have zero heart anymore
    oh cmon horse shoe head..we might not have the talent but the heart is there..lots of great american athletes focus on other major sports too

there are only so many great athletes to go around..look at baseball where the black dudes seem to be in decline..latinos own baseball now..part of that reason is many great black athletes focus on football and basketball..for some reason the black athletes has never excelled in ice hockey..they just cant skate or swim as well as they can run and jump

12 Last