BrentCrude
    BrentCrude's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

An observation,did old time baseball players all look 65 when in their 20's?

Freakey stuff when you watch all the vintage baseball file footage they show alot these days where guys like Ty Cobb looked like an old geezer on social security and medicare when he was probably 30.Same for football too where Y.A. Tittle looked like a guy you would see with Alzheimers in a nursing home when he was quarterbacking the Giants.Henry ''Pocket Rocket''Richard for the Canadiens looked like Thomas Jefferson in a white wig.Are there any pro sports players now that fall into the looking aged beyond their years category?
    Last edited by BrentCrude; 04-22-11 at 07:28 AM.

Art Vandeleigh
    Art Vandeleigh's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 459

lol good observation, must be putting something in our soap in recent years to give us that lustery, shiny, unwrinkled look.

PanamaBrad
    PanamaBrad's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 395

Lots of those guys were hard living dudes. When you add in the 2nd jobs most of them had to work to survive, smoking, etc they were living a life very much different from today's athletes.

gregm
    gregm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 121

I just watched Cobb the other night, its like he played a different sport than what we see modern day. Josh Hamilton breaks an arm and gets upset his third base coach waved him into home? Can you imagine Cobb doing that, he was described by detroit free press as "daring to the point of dementia."

mrmarket
    Update your status
    mrmarket's Avatar Become A Pro!

They were actually time traveling cyborgs from the future MLB management sent there to establish legendary personas to increase the popularity of baseball going forward. All the while these devious characters devised a plan to make all rebroadcasts of property require the expressed written consent of current MLB bureaucrats thereby sedating the baseball proletariat from rising up and establishing new leagues that would be in direct competition.

THE WRITING IS ON THE WALL PEOPLE!
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Strange Design

stevek173
    stevek173's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5958

I notice they all move really fast too like 2 or 3x the speed of a normal human being. It's crazy.

Regul8er
    Wordd
    Regul8er's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4101

Ive certainly noticed this as well. Even when I watch games from the 80's, it seems like all the back end starters and relievers are in their 40's, and look mechanically horrendous, but when you look at their numbers, they faired alright. Makes me wonder if I grew up 20 years earlier, would I have had a shot to make it to that level?

Mammon
    Mammon's Avatar Become A Pro!

The old footage is grainy.

Regul8er
    Wordd
    Regul8er's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4101

I watched a classic episode of Home Run Derby, which featured Willie Mays and Gil Hodges. Not sure how old Hodges was at the time, but he looked at least 50.