Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

What happened to Matsui?

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

Just looking at recent history, Damon seems to have more left than Ibanez, plus Damon is used to being a Yankee (and a Red Sox).

RoadDog
    I'm not negative, I'm a realist
    RoadDog's Avatar Become A Pro!

Nice work Nash. How disgustingly sick is that contract????

yisman

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    What happened to Matsui?
    http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/ey...-wants-to-play

When the A's-Mariners matchup in Japan was announced, it seemed like a natural fit for Oakland to re-sign DHHideki Matsui and create the dream matchup of Japanese baseball fans, Hideki Matsui against Ichiro Suzuki.
    Well, Suzuki's been in the lineup the last two days, but Matsui is still a free agent looking for work.
    Matsui spoke with Japanese reporters recently saying he's still working out, not just hitting, but also fielding and base running.
    "The season will soon start. I wonder how long this will last," Matsui told reporters, as translated by YakyuBaka.com. "I have not spent so much time taking batting practice before. I have been able to thoroughly work on things I need to."
    The 37-year-old Matsui hit .251/.321/.375 for the A's last season -- the lowest marks of his career. He hit just 12 homers in 141 games and 585 plate appearances. He started 27 games in the outfield, but the rest of the time was as the team's designated hitter.
    Matsui's probably relegated to a mostly DH role now, and there don't seem to be too many spots available. One place he can look is to the past, with the Yankees. New York picked Raul Ibanez over Matsui in the offseason, but Ibanez has struggled this spring and if he continues to do so, Brian Cashman certainly has Matsui's number.
    Matsui's one of several former all-stars looking for work, including Vladimir Guerrero (37), Derrek Lee (36), Miguel Tejada (37), Johnny Damon (38), Magglio Ordonez (38), Ivan Rodriguez (40) and Felipe Lopez (31). Guerrero has expressed interest in playing in Japan, while Matsui would likely be given a hero's welcome in his native country, where he was a star in high school and for the Yomiuri Giants.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Lesson learned here is teach you kids how to play ball, especially if they are left handed. You do not even have to be good, and a long career is not out of the question.

KingJD31
    KingJD31's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7042

Quote Originally Posted by face View Post
    brad hawpe, ryan ludwick, daniel murphy (mets),
    Murphy was only one of the best hitters pre injury last year

yisman

yeah and Ryan Ludwick is also a major league player. Dunno what that guy was talking about.

Murphy's issue is playing second base, not hitting.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32291

Daniel Murphy belongs in the majors.
    First off, he's 26.
    Second off, he plays all the corner positions well. (1B, 3B, RF, LF)
    Third off, he's 301 for 1030 in the three years he's been in the game. (.292)

Living The Dream
    Looks like an Underdog Week 2!
    Living The Dream's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 761

Can someone please explain what Jason Giambi is doing still playing and in the NL to make it even better with no DH?!?!?!?!?

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by Living The Dream View Post
    Can someone please explain what Jason Giambi is doing still playing and in the NL to make it even better with no DH?!?!?!?!?
    He's loved in Denver, the fans love him, the clubhouse loves him, and from all reports I read, Giambi is a good teacher.
    Plus, he's still a productive left handed bat off the bench (13 homers in 131 at bats last year = 50 homers in a full 500 at bat season), and he provides a viable first base option to the other senior citizen at first baseman Todd Helton.

Just as important, he comes dirt cheap by baseball standards, making 1 million this year. (the rookie minimum is 414,000 and the MLB average is 3 million)

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

Quote Originally Posted by KingJD31 View Post
    Murphy was only one of the best hitters pre injury last year
    i was wrong on two out of three, it happens. that post was from a long time ago. murphy can't field is his problem, but i'm sure they'll put him in somewhere.

stevenash

^
    He won't win any gold gloves anytime soon, correct, but he's not death in the field either.

First 1234