forsberg21
    forsberg21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2601

Americans: How are you getting your money out of PokerStars/FullTilt?

Just curious.

Have you been able to get any money out yet? Has PokerStars/FullTilt emailed you anything about cashing out?

RealSlimShady
    RealSlimShady's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11489

I don't think they will be allowing US cashouts for quite a while. They have to sort things out with the DOJ before attempting to pay back the funds.

Br0nxer
    July 2012 Poster of the Month
    Br0nxer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 888

you might be able to take a withdrawal but you are still america's hat

forsberg21

Quote Originally Posted by RealSlimShady View Post
    I don't think they will be allowing US cashouts for quite a while. They have to sort things out with the DOJ before attempting to pay back the funds.
    What about transfers? Can you transfer money to any non-American? (Hope you know where I'm going with this)

forsberg21

Quote Originally Posted by Br0nxer View Post
    Weren't you once Brnxbmbrs? I heard something about you being gay and your wife leaving you, is that true?

gregm
    gregm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 121

Another dreary article, at least concerning payouts for the time being , from pokerati

http://pokerati.com/2011/04/18/playe...ds/#more-27605

Players shouldn't expect money back without facing tax problems

Indictments produce challenges to reclaiming poker funds

Sanford Millar
    OP-ED

There are two actions pending against online poker companies in the Southern District of New York — an indictment of individual defendants, and a civil forfeiture complaint against the companies. The civil forfeiture complaint seeks forfeiture of all assets of the defendants, including specified domains and bank accounts.

There have been several civil and criminal forfeiture cases brought by the DoJ in recent years, including Daniel Tzvetkoff’s and Douglas Rennick’s (which are the original and first superseding indictments in the current case).

Similar forfeiture cases have also been brought against other payment processors, but in none of these cases, as far as I know, have the Poker companies filed claims objecting to the seizures. Also of note is that no players made claims either.
    Any player who makes a claim [for their deposits] should expect criminal inquiry by the FBI and IRS, and would not be able to recover on provable claims for some time. If the Poker companies default on the civil forfeiture, players will have no real legal recovery.
    For the purpose of filing Foreign Bank Account Reports, some players may have taken the position, consistent with the position of the IRS, that they are general unsecured creditors in a common pool fund of deposits, and as such have no control or discretion over the investment of the funds.

If this position is correct, then the DoJ’s forfeiture claims may have legs, as there may be no players to come forward able to make the specific factual statements necessary for a bonafide claim. Further, in order for the Poker companies to make claims, they likely would have to submit to jurisdiction of the U.S. and open their books and records to the DoJ and IRS among others.

Players who think they can write off their funds on deposit for tax purposes, and thereby get some benefit by tax losses, may run into the problem that IRC §165 limits gambling losses to gambling winnings (plus travel and related expenses for professional gamblers). But that means the winnings must have been reported and will require proof of deposits made. For some players, proof of deposit may be problematic.

Any player who makes a claim should expect to face full disclosure requirements on inquiry by the FBI and IRS (likely Criminal Investigation Division) and would not be able to recover on provable claims for some time, and at a non-trivial expense. For among other things, for players to prevail, they will need to get cooperation from the Poker companies and produce “competent evidence”.

If there is a possibility that the Poker companies default on the civil forfeiture, the players will have no real legal recovery.

Just my observations.
    Last edited by gregm; 04-19-11 at 10:45 PM.

donkdown
    donkdown's Avatar Become A Pro!

If the above is true thats is bad

emoney
    emoney's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

I put in a cashout request for my remaining balance via paper check. So far, everything seems normal. We'll see if I actually get a check. Thankfully, if not, my remaining balance was not a whole lot.

bradnowell
    bradnowell's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 181

what about about all the people with hundreds of thousands or millions?

sideloaded
    staring into the abyss
    sideloaded's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by emoney View Post
    I put in a cashout request for my remaining balance via paper check. So far, everything seems normal. We'll see if I actually get a check. Thankfully, if not, my remaining balance was not a whole lot.
    your check isn't coming.

chilidog
    chilidog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 956

Quote Originally Posted by Br0nxer View Post
    Or you are Canada's ass.

SHADYLANKY
    Update your status
    SHADYLANKY's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 196

Have any of the big players who are sponsored by the sites come out and said anything? Like Ivey,Dwan,Lederer etc?

daimoshokage
    daimoshokage's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 57

Quote Originally Posted by forsberg21 View Post
    Weren't you once Brnxbmbrs? I heard something about you being gay and your wife leaving you, is that true?

bronxer buried..

ryanspeer2001
    Punta Cana '15
    ryanspeer2001's Avatar Become A Pro!

One of the perks of being a losing small time pstars player was not having to worry about this but I feel for evetryone out there caught up in it.

emoney
    emoney's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by sideloaded View Post
    your check isn't coming.
    Well, thankfully $141.50 is not going to make or break me.