Tilt360
    Tilt360's Avatar Become A Pro!

Wow Z-Randold agree 4yr extension worth 71million.

Chris Broussard: Grizzlies and Zach Randolph agree to 4-year, $71 million contract extension, according to league sources. Twitter

Zach Randolph is a good player but is he worth that kind of money?

jsmithj88
    jsmithj88's Avatar Become A Pro!

no but they dont have a choice

Pew Pew
    Banned
    Pew Pew's Avatar Become A Pro!

He makes Memphis at least a decent playoff team (didn't say contender). I don't hate him. So good for him.

Tilt360

But who gonna paid him that kind of money? It not like fan go out and watch him play does he sell ticket?

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

i've seen zach do some amazing shit. clutch as hell. they don't give him green light enough, he is a total star.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

He is way better than a good player

top rebounder and solid scorer

texhooper
    texhooper's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7589

Quote Originally Posted by Tilt360 View Post
    But who gonna paid him that kind of money? It not like fan go out and watch him play does he sell ticket?
    this team without zach randolph win 30 game and sell no ticket. this team with zach randolph make playoff and get first franchise victory in playoff as 8 seed on road. zach randolph is alway in community paying indegent folk light bill and has proven model citizen in 2 year in city. zach randolph will eclipse shane battier as city most beloved grizzlie of all time.

tlb
    tlb's Avatar Become A Pro!

That is an absurd deal. If it is really 4 years/71m, then Memphis overpayed by ~15m or more. It's been a few months since I poured over the salary figures for next year, but I can't envision any team in the league exceeding 4 years/55m to 60m for Randolph; IMO his offers probably would have topped out around the 3 years/35m range. I'm guessing OJ Mayo is going to be given away for a late first rounder on Draft night because there is no way Memphis can resign Gasol and Battier, and pay Conley, Gay, Mayo, and now Randolph, and keep payroll below luxury tax levels.

kobstopa
    kobstopa's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3520

Didn't the Knicks let him go earlier on .? I say that is a bit cheaper than amare wit better efficiency.

Tilt360

I alway been a fan of Zach since the Portland day, but with no other team gonna paid him that much in my opinion why would you paid him that high

demens
    Square -910
    demens's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1258

Quote Originally Posted by tlb View Post
    That is an absurd deal. If it is really 4 years/71m, then Memphis overpayed by ~15m or more. It's been a few months since I poured over the salary figures for next year, but I can't envision any team in the league exceeding 4 years/55m to 60m for Randolph; IMO his offers probably would have topped out around the 3 years/35m range. I'm guessing OJ Mayo is going to be given away for a late first rounder on Draft night because there is no way Memphis can resign Gasol and Battier, and pay Conley, Gay, Mayo, and now Randolph, and keep payroll below luxury tax levels.

Sorry, but you tried to sound like you know what you're talking about but ended up sounding clueless. There is nothing absurd about this deal at all, plenty of teams would offer Randolph a max deal or something very close to it. Maybe you should check out what kind of deals people got this off season, check out Bosh, Boozer and Amare. Zach fits right there with them. Hell look at Kenyon Martins contract.

tlb
    tlb's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by demens View Post
    Sorry, but you tried to sound like you know what you're talking about but ended up sounding clueless. There is nothing absurd about this deal at all, plenty of teams would offer Randolph a max deal or something very close to it. Maybe you should check out what kind of deals people got this off season, check out Bosh, Boozer and Amare. Zach fits right there with them. Hell look at Kenyon Martins contract.
    Whatever you say... This coming offseason is entirely different from last years. The Knicks planned years ahead to clear cap space for last summer so they could go after Lebron and another piece. Apparently Pat Riley did the same thing with the Heat. Both the Heat and the Knicks had something in the neighborhood of 35m to 40m in caproom each. Sacramento and Indiana are the only teams close to having 20m in caproom (@55m cap, which may be too high a projection), and there is no way either club will offer Randolph a contract (Sacramento's FO will not allow Cousins to be mentored by Randolph; and Randolph's reputation would red flag him for Indiana). The remaining teams with significant caproom (8 to 15m) tend to have the PF spot solidified (Love in Minnesota) and would likely be more interested in persuing a Center like Gasol or Nene, if he opts out. On the off chance a club needed a PF, they might be more inclined to persue a guy named David West, who, before the injury, might have cost no more than 9m or so per year.

As for Kenyon Martin's contract, what is your point? Just because Martin and Antawn Jamison have max deals, so should Randolph? Desagana Diop makes nearly 8m,... Adonal Foyle had a similar contract... should that be the new league minimum?

I've followed the Warriors long enough to know an overpay when I see it. The Grizzlies overpayed by a longshot.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Zach Randolph did what you are supposed to do in order to get paid big contracts.

Pay your dues through years of service, improve you innate talents into honed skills, mature as a person, and become a leader.

Z Randolph used to be chubby, out of shape, and intimidate fellow teammates with an extremely thuggish attitude. He has changed since then, and has become an all-star caliber player. Also he helped the Grizzles get their first playoff win in about a decade. Which is something Pau Gasol was never able to accomplish.

demens
    Square -910

Whatever you say... This coming offseason is entirely different from last years. The Knicks planned years ahead to clear cap space for last summer so they could go after Lebron and another piece. Apparently Pat Riley did the same thing with the Heat. Both the Heat and the Knicks had something in the neighborhood of 35m to 40m in caproom each. Sacramento and Indiana are the only teams close to having 20m in caproom (@55m cap, which may be too high a projection), and there is no way either club will offer Randolph a contract (Sacramento's FO will not allow Cousins to be mentored by Randolph; and Randolph's reputation would red flag him for Indiana). The remaining teams with significant caproom (8 to 15m) tend to have the PF spot solidified (Love in Minnesota) and would likely be more interested in persuing a Center like Gasol or Nene, if he opts out. On the off chance a club needed a PF, they might be more inclined to persue a guy named David West, who, before the injury, might have cost no more than 9m or so per year.

As for Kenyon Martin's contract, what is your point? Just because Martin and Antawn Jamison have max deals, so should Randolph? Desagana Diop makes nearly 8m,... Adonal Foyle had a similar contract... should that be the new league minimum?

I've followed the Warriors long enough to know an overpay when I see it. The Grizzlies overpayed by a longshot.
    You know a team can just trade for a player right? You're acting like the only way someone could have paid ZBo this much is if they had cap space, no its called a sign and trade. I know for a fact the Nets would be interested if they struck out during the deadline, but they have bigger fish to fry right now. Zach has proven himself over the last few seasons, he "deserves" this deal. The point about bring up those other players is to show you that this kind of money gets thrown around in the NBA all the time, to players that have not earned it. In reality there might be maybe like 8 or so players that i personally think are worth max deal, in what my understanding of what a max worthy player is but thats not how it works in the NBA. While Zach doesn't quite make my group of 8 he sure as hell does fall right in line with the players i've mentioned. If their deals are not absurd then neither is this one.
    Last edited by demens; 04-17-11 at 10:44 PM.

SHADYLANKY
    Update your status
    SHADYLANKY's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 196

He is worth it. He has matured and don't see how Memphis could of let him go.

TGHMak
    Update your status
    TGHMak's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 114

With Rudy Gay coming back next year, they won't have enough playing time for Gay, Battier, Mayo, Young and Allen.

texhooper

Quote Originally Posted by HoulihansTX View Post
    Zach Randolph did what you are supposed to do in order to get paid big contracts.

Pay your dues through years of service, improve you innate talents into honed skills, mature as a person, and become a leader.

Z Randolph used to be chubby, out of shape, and intimidate fellow teammates with an extremely thuggish attitude. He has changed since then, and has become an all-star caliber player. Also he helped the Grizzles get their first playoff win in about a decade. Which is something Pau Gasol was never able to accomplish.
    this right here. great post. this is what i told my family members and other such people when the grizz signed zach in the first place.

texhooper

Quote Originally Posted by TGHMak View Post
    With Rudy Gay coming back next year, they won't have enough playing time for Gay, Battier, Mayo, Young and Allen.
    damn, they have nothing but time for all these guys. sounds like a dream bench with a couple of starters in that list to complement zach and gasol if you ask me.

ZetaPsi808
    July 2011 Poster of the Month
    ZetaPsi808's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1982

he might be underrated now

sweetjones55
    554-381 (59.2%) NBA/WNBA/Football Record
    sweetjones55's Avatar Become A Pro!

When Z-Bo wants to play, he is worth every cent.

texhooper

Quote Originally Posted by sweetjones55 View Post
    When Z-Bo wants to play, he is worth every cent.
    and as a member of the grizzlies he has "wanted to play" more than at any stop in his career. the grizzlies don't just hand out deals like this. they could have had david lee at 5 years, 60 million but passed for zach for his 2 year deal and let it play out. it seems like FINALLY front office decisions are working out for the grizz. (still not a fan of the mike conley deal, but whatever.)

Nookx
    Nookx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

zach randolph is a beast. Why do you think memphis is winning?luck?

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on

If only that Hasheem Thabeet draft pick worked out.......

LLXC
    LLXC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10451

He has always been able to score but can't play a lick of D. Also, somebody watch his weight...

Plus, now that he has a big contract, I wonder how lazy this guy will get till closer to his contract year.

isles71
    isles71's Avatar Become A Pro!

He is a big bull inside. A really good example of someone finally getting how to play the NBA and not be a dumb dude

jsmithj88
    jsmithj88's Avatar Become A Pro!

does this mean rudy gay gets traded?

donnyguru
    Rust Never Sleeps
    donnyguru's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8759

20-10 every night don't grow on trees. A legit 20-10 on a good team with other options. Memphis was a joke for too long to give up their spot now, even if the eight seed is considered as semi-mediocre. No ZBo is a trip back to nowhere.

will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!
    will2survive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

a very underrated player

Speedy88
    Speedy88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1636

He is getting roughly 17 million a year. Compared to what other players are getting, it isn't a bad contract at all. And the fact that is only 4 years, instead of those longer 5 and 6 year deals make it even more intriguing. Compared to other NBA salaries, it looks good for the Grizzlies:

Rashard Lewis: 20 mill per year
    Andre Kirilenko: 17 mill per year
    Elton Brand: 16 mill per year
    Kenyon Martin: 16 mill per year
    Jason Richardson 14 mill per year

Z-Bo is a 20 and 10 machine. He just gets a bad rap because of his off court issues and he has never really been on a winning team until now.

nastradamus
    nastradamus's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2956

Z-Bo is great player, there is much more worst contracts in the league right now!

obamaismyuncle
    obamaismyuncle's Avatar Become A Pro!

never heard of him

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on

Quote Originally Posted by jsmithj88 View Post
    does this mean rudy gay gets traded?
    Rudy Gay signed a long term contract last year, as an unrestricted free-agent.

demens
    Square -910

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy88 View Post
    He is getting roughly 17 million a year. Compared to what other players are getting, it isn't a bad contract at all. And the fact that is only 4 years, instead of those longer 5 and 6 year deals make it even more intriguing. Compared to other NBA salaries, it looks good for the Grizzlies:

Rashard Lewis: 20 mill per year
    Andre Kirilenko: 17 mill per year
    Elton Brand: 16 mill per year
    Kenyon Martin: 16 mill per year
    Jason Richardson 14 mill per year

Z-Bo is a 20 and 10 machine. He just gets a bad rap because of his off court issues and he has never really been on a winning team until now.
    If i'm not mistaken his contract might be just like Lewis and Brand. AK and Martin got theirs earlier in their career. The way it works in the NBA is your max salary depends on your tenure in the league and the leagues salary cap. Martin i'm pretty sure got his deal right after his rookie contract expired. ZBo been in the league a while so this is the most anyone can get paid, its the type of deal JKidd got late in his career or close to it.

Anyway, again, i have no issue with it.

politicin
    FADE DEMENS FOR $$$$
    politicin's Avatar Become A Pro!

Z-bo is a beast and deserves the money. As said already in this thread, without Randolph their team has to step down from being a playoff caliber squad.

Jaug
    1 in 2.7 mill
    Jaug's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2977

Wow that salary is crazy for a player of his caliber.

12 Last