samgurt
    samgurt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

Is there a more overrated manager than Ron Gardenhire?

no.

Never knows when to lay down a bunt.

Never puts on a steal with speedy guys on base.

Never knows when to leave pitchers in (if they reach 100 pitches, they're done in his eyes. Tonight was a prime example)

Never knows when to take pitchers out either.

Definitely never deserved to win manager of the year

OmgUrMom
    OmgUrMom's Avatar Become A Pro!

i guess you weren't watching the game, they asked Pavano if he wanted to stay in, he declined.

I agree he is not a great manager though, he sticks with veteran guys to long in a lot of situations.

samgurt
    samgurt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

Quote Originally Posted by OmgUrMom View Post
    i guess you weren't watching the game, they asked Pavano if he wanted to stay in, he declined. I agree he is not a great manager though, he sticks with veteran guys to long in a lot of situations.
    nah, i wasn't. but he does the shit all the time. A good manager would've encouraged pavano to stay in there

SportsMushroom
    SportsMushroom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6839

Quote Originally Posted by samgurt View Post
    nah, i wasn't. but he does the shit all the time. A good manager would've encouraged pavano to stay in there
    if a player is asking to come out in any sport you fking take them out, you wouldnt want that guy in there

it means he has nothing to offer to the team one way or another, he's either tapped out physically or mentally

Ace_of_Spades
    Golazo De Riverrrr!
    Ace_of_Spades's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

Never liked him.

nyed1010
    nyed1010's Avatar Become A Pro!

Mike Scioscia.

OmgUrMom

Quote Originally Posted by SportsMushroom View Post
    if a player is asking to come out in any sport you fking take them out, you wouldnt want that guy in there

it means he has nothing to offer to the team one way or another, he's either tapped out physically or mentally
    this

OmgUrMom

i can remember a few years back when he stuck with rondell white as a DH despite him hitting below .200 with very little power for a majority of the season, that was laughable

stogies
    unfairly banned
    stogies's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 261

gardenhire and twins have gotten more out of lesser talent consistently the passed few seasons.

Raleigh77
    Raleigh77's Avatar Become A Pro!

At least he likes to eat a lot of ranch dressing.

Jericholic
    The Ayatollah of Rock 'N Rolla
    Jericholic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8286

I don't think he's the greatest manager in the world, but I've always liked him. Being a life long Twins fan and going through the mid to late '90's with this team, I'll take 6 division titles in 9 years all day.

rk9
    rk9's Avatar Become A Pro!

He is not a very good in-game manager (in comparison to other managers) but good at managing the team over the course of the season. That is why his teams win during the regular season and lose in the playoffs.. He probably should have won the manager of the year in '08 when the Twins didnt make it in '07 then forced 163 after losing Santana and Hunter. He shouldn't have won it last year, he had way more talent and didnt do that much.

OmgUrMom

well said rk9

Crayzee
    Crayzee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9053

yeah he svks
    twins always under achieving every year

GOB
    GOB's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3770

Quote Originally Posted by samgurt View Post
    no.

Never knows when to lay down a bunt.

Never puts on a steal with speedy guys on base.

Never knows when to leave pitchers in (if they reach 100 pitches, they're done in his eyes. Tonight was a prime example)

Never knows when to take pitchers out either.

Definitely never deserved to win manager of the year
    I'm going to completely disregard the first statement, because it's completely ridiculous. Give me a situation in which he's failed to know when to lay down a bunt?

Never stealing faster players is a philosophy. Billy Beane's moneyball doesn't like stealing bases either, but he is widely considered one of the better baseball minds.

Again, give me an example. Pavano was given a choice, and said he was finished. It just so happened that Nathan and Capps didn't have their stuff tonight either. It happens, it's a long season.

So he never knows when to leave pitchers in AND he never knows when to take pitchers out? Do you watch any of the games?

Maybe he didn't deserve manager of the year, but he his team has won their division 6 times this decade. He probably deserved to win it when he three-peated in the Central in '02,'03, and '04 with the scrubs he had on those teams. They started Doug Mientkiewicz at first base for Christ's sake.

iifold
    Update your status
    iifold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1774

Quote Originally Posted by GOB View Post
    I'm going to completely disregard the first statement, because it's completely ridiculous. Give me a situation in which he's failed to know when to lay down a bunt?

Never stealing faster players is a philosophy. Billy Beane's moneyball doesn't like stealing bases either, but he is widely considered one of the better baseball minds.

Again, give me an example. Pavano was given a choice, and said he was finished. It just so happened that Nathan and Capps didn't have their stuff tonight either. It happens, it's a long season.

So he never knows when to leave pitchers in AND he never knows when to take pitchers out? Do you watch any of the games?

Maybe he didn't deserve manager of the year, but he his team has won their division 6 times this decade. He probably deserved to win it when he three-peated in the Central in '02,'03, and '04 with the scrubs he had on those teams. They started Doug Mientkiewicz at first base for Christ's sake.
    Billy Beane is a fukkin Joke...

Mulder, Hudson, and Zito made him...

not moneyball!!!

look at him now... he has another big 3 (Cahill, Anderson, and Gio) and they can't score a fukkin run!!! Guy is clueless, has his buddy managing the team, has no team power, has speed but doesn't use it... Most over rated fukkin guy in sports, and now they make a movie about him?

Buried_PIRATE
    Shaved my chest.
    Buried_PIRATE's Avatar Become A Pro!

Eh you guys have hit the nail on the head in this thread. I am a life long Twins fan and I think MUCH of Ron Gardenhires success goes DIRECTLY to Terry Ryan and Bill Smith.

Gardenhire I think is no better or worse than any other average manager. He just happens to be in an organization that develops their talent exceedingly well and play solid fundamental baseball.

That being said, Gardenhire thought SPAN had no future with the Twins (had to force his way into the majors) and has routinely stuck with TERRIBLE veterans ala Rondell White, Adam Everett, Nick Punto... the list goes on, and it has been painful.

For the record I was on the Twins yesterday (check my thread) and I am also unbelievableeeely bitter for not giving Pavano a shot to pitch the 9th, and then for Nathan for blowing the save in the 9th and Capps for blowing the save in the 10th...

LChruscial85
    Tyler Bray to the Bills!
    LChruscial85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Did you bet the Twins last night, AND if they would have won last night would this thread still be posted today?

Buried_PIRATE
    Shaved my chest.

Quote Originally Posted by LChruscial85 View Post
    Did you bet the Twins last night, AND if they would have won last night would this thread still be posted today?
    Talkin' bout bettin the twins all yr son! its been slow

GOB

Quote Originally Posted by Buried_PIRATE View Post
    For the record I was on the Twins yesterday (check my thread) and I am also unbelievableeeely bitter for not giving Pavano a shot to pitch the 9th, and then for Nathan for blowing the save in the 9th and Capps for blowing the save in the 10th...
    They did give Pavano a shot to pitch in the ninth. They asked him, and he said he was finished. This was covered on the telecast.

GOB

Quote Originally Posted by iifold View Post
    Billy Beane is a fukkin Joke...

Mulder, Hudson, and Zito made him...

not moneyball!!!

look at him now... he has another big 3 (Cahill, Anderson, and Gio) and they can't score a fukkin run!!! Guy is clueless, has his buddy managing the team, has no team power, has speed but doesn't use it... Most over rated fukkin guy in sports, and now they make a movie about him?
    Maybe so, but is anything that I said factually incorrect. Is he not widely considered to be a great baseball mind?

Buried_PIRATE
    Shaved my chest.

Quote Originally Posted by GOB View Post
    They did give Pavano a shot to pitch in the ninth. They asked him, and he said he was finished. This was covered on the telecast.
    I was out and only made it back in time to see the bottom of the 9th going forward.

Regardless of that decision I was more bitter at Johnny Damon hitting a 357 foot "bomb".

iifold
    Update your status
    iifold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1774

Ned Yost has a great baseball mind...

These math dorks need to get the fukk out...

"Wins Above Replacement" dorks

It would be like Justin7 running a baseball team... it doesn't work...

GOB

I was out and only made it back in time to see the bottom of the 9th going forward.

Regardless of that decision I was more bitter at Johnny Damon hitting a 357 foot "bomb".
    Agreed. It was a shitty way to lose a game.

LChruscial85
    Tyler Bray to the Bills!
    LChruscial85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Talkin' bout bettin the twins all yr son! its been slow
    I agree man, it's been brutal!

neverstoppers23
    neverstoppers23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41

great regular season guy, sucks in the playoffs.