View Poll Results: Most exciting sport to watch?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • NFL

16 32.65%
  • College Football

5 10.20%
  • Baseball

1 2.04%
  • NBA/College basketball

4 8.16%
  • Golf

0 0%
  • Nascar

1 2.04%
  • Extreme sports

1 2.04%
  • Other (specify please in comments)

21 42.86%
    bconngemini
    bconngemini's Avatar Become A Pro!

Is soccer bashing still cool???

I was watching a recent soccer bashing talking head on ESPN, and although I would have certainly agreed with him 3 years ago (I used to really hate soccer) I don't get soccer hating anymore. I actually wrote a piece for my local newspaper before the last world cup on how america is against soccer because its a sport with zero appeal, but I've recently changed my opinion (after watching ESPN's euro 08 broadcasts this summer).... Anyway the soccer basher host didn't get the usual approval that soccer bashers get, but there was actual disagreement on soccer being an inferior sport...

So what do you think, have we as a nation stopped hating soccer? Is soccer bashing still considered a sign of masculinity and patriotism or is it outdated?

maniac0201
    maniac0201's Avatar Become A Pro!

I love soccer. Its my second favorite sport behind football (American). I am certain that soccer will become the number four sport very soon. The way it will happen will be ESPN. They control sports in this country. Many believe that ESPN will bid for TV rights to the English Premier League for 2010. If that happens, it will take off very quickly.

ESPN must feel it is worth it. After all, they aired every game of Euro 2008. A competition that the US wasn't even in.

Deuce
    Eddie Mush
    Deuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3519

I don't care for soccer much but I have the utmost respect for those who play.

bconngemini

Quote Originally Posted by maniac0201 View Post
    I love soccer. Its my second favorite sport behind football (American). I am certain that soccer will become the number four sport very soon. The way it will happen will be ESPN. They control sports in this country. Many believe that ESPN will bid for TV rights to the English Premier League for 2010. If that happens, it will take off very quickly.

ESPN must feel it is worth it. After all, they aired every game of Euro 2008. A competition that the US wasn't even in.
    I still know a lot of people (especially the older generation) who are actively against soccer. You must be young.

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

There are enough people who simply can't do anything but put something or someone else down that "soccer hating," as well as all other hating, is always going to have an audience. It's the contentious manner of media as a whole these days. We've got hours and hours and hours devoted to nothing but stirring up sh¡t, from Bill O'Reilly and Keith Olberman putting one party or another down while elevating their own party to perfect status, to the Jim Rome show that wallows in nothing more than talking smack.

RogueJuror
    RogueJuror's Avatar Become A Pro!

Only idiots bash something for the coolness. "I don't get it therefore I'll campaign againts it" this train of thought is of an ignorant sub-developed indivual. A characteristic of weakness.

fiveteamer
    Sweet berry wine!!!
    fiveteamer's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm guessing Richkas hates soccer...

woodg8
    woodg8's Avatar Become A Pro!

Couldn't care less if people bash soccer, especially if they're from the States. People like what they want to like.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Quote Originally Posted by fiveteamer View Post
    I'm guessing Richkas hates soccer...
    He hates it because he can't cap it.

SSLP
    SSLP's Avatar Become A Pro!

Soccer is a great sport

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I watched about 30 minutes of the Chelsea game yesterday and did not get into it much, the fans were into it and intense. I just do not like watching clumsy white guys kicking a ball. Most soccer players could not be good at other sports.

SSLP I would bury you in a American Football game one on one.

bconngemini

Why is a boring sport like soccer the most watched TV sport in the world?

As a red-blooded patriotic american I hate soccer and think of it as an boring unmasculine unathletic game. Yet I can't ignore that its still the most watched sport in the world, while great exciting sports like NFL and MLB aren't.

Someone explain to me: how can such a boring, sissy, unappealing sport be liked by so many...is it because foreigners like being bored by their sports? I mean, what is the appeal of soccer when its so unappealing? Don't they like excitement like the NFL and MLB?

Richkas
    Richkas's Avatar Become A Pro!

Most High Schools Mens soccer programs go on at the same time football is on. The good athletes play football. The wimps play soccer. Who wants to watch a bunch of wimps.

fiveteamer
    Sweet berry wine!!!

Are you in mensa, guy?

Thanks.

dcbt
    dcbt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

If you are truly interested in an interesting read:

http://www.amazon.com/How-Soccer-Exp...8326649&sr=8-1

But I'll admit to loving soccer (as a red-blooded patriotic American, even.) It's the beautiful game.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

I believe MLB is as exciting as watching paint dry.

fiveteamer
    Sweet berry wine!!!

I've always wondered why the idiots in Tunisia and Bularus do not watch exciting MLB games.

What is wrong with these guys?

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

I can assure you that most non-Americans who get a first taste of the NFL are bored out of their brains. Five or ten seconds of action, followed by a minute of non-action. And that for three hours?!

MLB? lol.

The most exciting action, in my opinion, is NHL. Nothing comes close to that if you like fast-paced.

The advantage that the NFL has over soccer is that even a game between bad teams can be fun to watch, whereas soccer has to be played at the highest level to be entertaining.

Funny thing is that nobody has a clue about what's really happening on the field in the NFL. People see the end result of a play, but rarely understand all the stuff that went into it.
    Last edited by Dark Horse; 12-03-08 at 12:06 PM.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

NFL is more fun to watch in slow motion and with 20 different camera angles then freeze the screen every tenth of a second between two TV's trying to determine if the knee was down before the fumble.

Imagine being on the upper level of a stadium up in the rafters.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina

I forgot about that. The replay factor is important. NFL is very high on replays, compared to soccer. What would be the ratio? Twenty seconds of replay for every five seconds of action?

englishmike
    englishmike's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think the answer to this question is best answered by asking yourself a question: Why are the USA's four main sports minority sports in virtually every other country in the world?

NEP Dynasty
    NEP Dynasty's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

MLB exciting?

Kargo
    Kargo's Avatar Become A Pro!

bconn, I have to disagree with you on the "unmasculine unathletic game", I used to play soccer back in high school and it requires lots of energy and atheltism, but I have to agree 100% with you on the fact that wathing it is the most boring thing in the planet, specially after a full 90 minutes of playtime with a final result of 0-0, you literally watch the grass grow for 90 minutes, MLB can be just as boring too, that's why my all times favorite is NBA which can never get boring due to it's constant action all game long, then NFL is 2nd place, I hate low scoring games !
    Last edited by Kargo; 12-03-08 at 12:54 PM.

Kargo

Quote Originally Posted by englishmike View Post
    I think the answer to this question is best answered by asking yourself a question: Why are the USA's four main sports minority sports in virtually every other country in the world?
    I think the answer to that is simple, who else plays Football ?, only the US, other countries play Baseball but is not a big sport because it's boring. Soccer is so big bacause it's easy to play in every country and you can match countries in different categories.
    To play football you need gear, which costs money, and most countries can't afford it, hence they don't play it. If other countries played football then international match ups would exist and the sport would actually gain interest around the globe.

Kargo

Quote Originally Posted by NEP Dynasty View Post
    MLB exciting?
    Whenever I have unwelcome visits in the house ( wife's friends ) I usually put MLB on the tv so they can get bored and leave me alone, then i change channels again !!

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina

Quote Originally Posted by Kargo View Post
    I think the answer to that is simple, who else plays Football ?, only the US, other countries play Baseball but is not a big sport because it's boring. Soccer is so big bacause it's easy to play in every country and you can match countries in different categories.
    To play football you need gear, which costs money, and most countries can't afford it, hence they don't play it. If other countries played football then international match ups would exist and the sport would actually gain interest around the globe.
    Rugby is close enough to football. Somewhat popular, but not close to a main stream sport in most countries.

It's just a difference in culture. Americans have a short attention span and like explosive action, making football the perfect sport.

Kargo

I agree Dark Horse, besides I believe soccer has existed for way longer than Football, maybe someday more countries will get into this great sport as well.

treece
    treece's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 198

To be a soccer player you have to be in great shape. You don't see any oxygen machines on the sidelines at soccer games where in football there is a few on each sideline.

jayc88
    Update your status
    jayc88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1151

we europeans just love soccer like you love the nfl mlb etc,
    i really do enjoy american sports as well but i hate baseball and i've never met someone who was interested in baseball , but there are a bunch of people who like the nfl , nhl though here.

englishmike

Quote Originally Posted by jayc88 View Post
    we europeans just love soccer like you love the nfl mlb etc,
    i really do enjoy american sports as well but i hate baseball and i've never met someone who was interested in baseball , but there are a bunch of people who like the nfl , nhl though here.
    I love baseball, by far my favourite US sport of the four, I find a lot of similarities to cricket in both the game itself and the people who attend.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Quote Originally Posted by englishmike View Post
    I love baseball, by far my favourite US sport of the four, I find a lot of similarities to cricket in both the game itself and the people who attend.
    I hardly ever see Indians and Pakistanis at the Braves games but I will take your word Mikey.

dr03
    dr03's Avatar Become A Pro!

MLB exciting, that's a good one. Baseball is the most boring sport out there.

There's a reason why soccer and basketball are two of the most watched sports in the world. 1. They have the best athletes. 2. The game is continuous. 3. You don't need expensive equipment to play it.

accuscoresucks
    accuscoresucks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 97

because great looking guys like pav man like to play,and also watch soccer

that why it is popular

was also the first sport i played growing up

englishmike

If you haven't seen any indians at Braves games, why do they all swing axes between outs Pavers?

The demographic is different Paves, just my opinion but I love sitting in a Baseball crowd in virtual silence, top of the ninth, 0-0. Football crowds are built on beer, baseball crowds are builton spectating. Both have their place.

1234 ... Last