WileOut
    WileOut's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 54

The problem with soccer and solution

1 thing keeps it from exploding in the USA. The offsides penalty. It takes away the open field from great athletes and puts all teams on an equal playing field so athleticism has less to do with who wins.

Can you imagine football or basketball having offsides while the ball is in play? The WR is not allowed to run past a DB for a long TD pass. In basketball fast breaks are not allowed and no showtime dunks because you can't receive a pass behind the defense. It's the worst penalty in sports and it makes soccer unwatchable. If they take it out, scores would rise and interest would rise.

rfr3sh
    Blind Knucklehead
    rfr3sh's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 604

what about hockey they have an offside rule??

the soccer rule is similar to the football rule actually...when the play starts in football, you have to be on your side of the ball, when the ball is kicked in soccer you cant be behind the last defender, so not much difference there

ignorant post here

your comparison to the rule relating it to football is incorrect

and FYI fast breaks in soccer are known as the counter attack

SoV
    "Why always me"
    SoV's Avatar Become A Pro!

We don't give a shite if it picks up in the US. Not going to change the rules for one fvcking country. The rule is good, been there for years. Don't like it, don't watch it.

rfr3sh
    Blind Knucklehead

WileOut

Quote Originally Posted by rfr3sh View Post
    what about hockey they have an offside rule??

the soccer rule is similar to the football rule actually...when the play starts in football, you have to be on your side of the ball, when the ball is kicked in soccer you cant be behind the last defender, so not much difference there

ignorant post here

your comparison to the rule relating it to football is incorrect

and FYI fast breaks in soccer are known as the counter attack
    The rule is nothing like football. In football offsides is called when you cross the line of scrimmage before the ball is snapped, before it is put into play. It is not called during play when an offensive player beats his man. That is what they do in soccer. During play they blow it dead if a guy runs past his man. It's a horrible penalty and it kills the sport.

Half the time they get the call wrong too. Its such a horrible idea.

My comparison to football is correct. A WR runs a go route and because he is faster he beats his defender, the pass is thrown and if on target you get a TD. Rewarding athleticism. In soccer it's blown dead.

SoV
    "Why always me"

It's not when they "run past a man". Learn the rules first.

WileOut

Quote Originally Posted by SoV View Post
    It's not when they "run past a man". Learn the rules first.
    I know the rules. I played the sport. The ball is blown dead if you beat the defense and a pass is made to you with you behind the defense. Exactly like my comparison to american football, a WR beats the CB and safety so a pass is thrown and he catches it for a TD. In soccer it's no good.

rfr3sh
    Blind Knucklehead

Quote Originally Posted by WileOut View Post

The rule is nothing like football. In football offsides is called when you cross the line of scrimmage before the ball is snapped, before it is put into play. It is not called during play when an offensive player beats his man. That is what they do in soccer. During play they blow it dead if a guy runs past his man. It's a horrible penalty and it kills the sport.

Half the time they get the call wrong too. Its such a horrible idea.

My comparison to football is correct. A WR runs a go route and because he is faster he beats his defender, the pass is thrown and if on target you get a TD. Rewarding athleticism. In soccer it's blown dead.
    ok but football is stop and start so how can you compare it from the point after the snap...

a football play starts when the ball is snapped...the player cannot be offside before the ball is snapped
    in soccer the offside rule starts when the ball is kicked..the player cannot be in an offside position when the ball is kicked

so essentially it is the same here..you are comparing a stop and start sport to one that has no breaks...so if you are going to do that atleast

a) know the rules
    b) know how to compare it properly

sitting offside in soccer would be like starting a play in football behind the DB
    same thing here you are just dumb

LLXC
    LLXC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10451

-lack of scoring opportunities.
    -having 1 referee that is heavily influenced by the crowd
    -flopping (damn you too basketball)
    -clock constantly moving and that made up "extra time" the referee decides on.

WileOut

rt I am 100% that I am right here. Soccer is not a non stop sport. Yes the clock keeps running but when the ball is kicked out of bounds, or a foul is called, the action stops. Just like in football only not as often.

So your logic goes like this. You are trying to tell me that offsides in football is the same as in soccer. If that is the case, then when a free kick is awarded after a foul, then they would call offsides on the defensive team if a guy ran across the invisible line marking the soccer balls position on the field. That is not what I am referring to.

I am talking about when both sports are in play, in action. After the ball is snapped in football and during play in soccer. I know the rules as good or better than you do.

If football was like soccer, everytime Randy Moss beat his corner and the safety and the ball was thrown to him for a TD, they would call offsides. Which they don't of course. I'm telling you what it would be like if the concept of soccer offsides was applied to football. It would result in nobody watching the games.

WileOut

double post

SoV
    "Why always me"

Like I said before, football's been around for years and is the most popular sport in the world. No need to change the rules for one fvcking country. Fine without you yanks playing it.

rfr3sh
    Blind Knucklehead

no when a player is taking a free kick the defender cannot be within 10 yards of the ball but that is besides the point
    in soccer you make it seem like there cannot be breakaways. you can be behind a defender just after the ball is kicked, in fact it is a talent to time a run perfectly. just like football you cannot be behind the DB before the ball is snapped...not a hard concept here pal

8ArIvd5
    8ArIvd5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1044

a better analogy is to basketball. the fast-break/counter-attack. agree it's a lame rule. the few times i've watched soccer, i get surprised to see a 'counter-attack' blown dead because the defender was too slow or out of position. isn't the reason i don't watch, tho.

WileOut

Quote Originally Posted by rfr3sh View Post
    no when a player is taking a free kick the defender cannot be within 10 yards of the ball but that is besides the point
    in soccer you make it seem like there cannot be breakaways. you can be behind a defender just after the ball is kicked, in fact it is a talent to time a run perfectly. just like football you cannot be behind the DB before the ball is snapped...not a hard concept here pal
    I didn't say there can't be breakaways you just have to dribble the ball down the field yourself you can't pass it beyond the last defender. Also known as offsides in soccer . The football analogy is totally wrong. Comparing apples to apples here: WHEN A PASS IS MADE in American football the offensive player CAN be behind the whole defense. WHEN A PASS IS MADE in soccer the offensive player CANNOT be behind the last defender.

You can't confuse me here you are doing a terrible job trying to. You know the rule is horrible. You wish so bad it was not there. I'm sorry for the soccer fans- the sport would be so much better without offsides.

rfr3sh
    Blind Knucklehead

how is the rule horrible it stops people from cherry picking
    and your analogy is wrong because of the stop start concept of football

muldoon
    muldoon's Avatar Become A Pro!

If scoring was the issue, the indoor league would have exploded.