SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar Become A Pro!

Devastated NFL ref Responds

Ed Hochuli feels so terrible that he blew a huge call he's even answering his hate email.

According to NFL supervisor of officials Mike Pereira, Ed Hochuli is "devastated" at what went down in Denver on Sunday. If you missed it, Hochuli made an inexplicable mental gaffe--I won't call it a "blown call" or "missed call" because I think it goes a little beyond that--that almost directly cost the Chargers a loss against the Broncos.
    From Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union Tribune:
    No one, it appears, is taking the mistake and its ramifications harder than Hochuli.

"He's devastated," said Mike Pereira, the NFL's supervisor of officials. "... I was talking to Ed within 10 minutes after the game was over, and he was sick. He's still sick (yesterday).

"Everybody works so hard and wants to be perfect in a game you're not likely to ever be perfect. I've talked to him three times. He's really struggling with the fact he made such a bad call."
    Hochuli's also manning up and taking his e-mail lumps. His e-mail address isn't hard to find with a simple Yahoo! search, and he's been bombarded with hate mail. And still, he's replying to everyone. Someone relayed the following reply from Hochuli to a message board at the San Diego Union Tribute.
    I'm getting hundreds of emails – hate mail – but I'm responding to it all. People deserve a response.

You can rest assured that nothing anyone can say can make me feel worse than I already feel about my mistake on the fumble play. You have no idea ...

Affecting the outcome of a game is a devastating feeling. Officials strive for perfection – I failed miserably. Although it does no good to say it, I am very, very sorry.

Ed Hochuli
    Hard to kick a guy when he's down like this. He knows he screwed up, he's been penalized financially and lost some of his standing, likely won't see this guy officiating a playoff game anytime soon under Goodells watch.

dwaechte
    dwaechte's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 235

I think this is overblown. Yes, it was an unusually bad call. But people need to remember that officials dictate the outcomes of games all the time. If he makes a bad PI call, is he getting this kind of flack? He ****ed up, but it happens, people need to move on.

fiveteamer
    Sweet berry wine!!!
    fiveteamer's Avatar Become A Pro!

Time to move on, he's a good ref.

It was only one game.

This coming from soneone who was on the Chargers ML.

SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by fiveteamer View Post
    Time to move on, he's a good ref.

It was only one game.

This coming from soneone who was on the Chargers ML.
    It's unfortunate he's the scapegoat here but this isn't the first and won't be the last time an NFL ref makes a beyond awful, incomprehensible decision, and the rules are such that so many things cannot even be challenged. The game is literally in the refs hands.

We usually don't hear about this much backlash because a lot of times refs botch calls that don't end up directly affecting the outcome of a game.

R3Sports
    R3Sports's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

It's really bullshit. He made a mistake, everyone does.

topgame85
    topgame85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3082

Bad call, yes, Hoculli fault, no He thought there was forward pass motion so the play was ruled dead when the whistle blew because that is the rule, blame the rule makers, he knew he was wrong after the challenge but because of the LEAGUES rules there was nothing he could do to really make the right call which would of been SD possesion

daggerkobe
    UCONN PK MICH PK PROVIDENCE +2
    daggerkobe's Avatar Become A Pro!

He should have made the right call even if he had blown the whistle. I mean I didn't hear any whistle in the replay anyways. I mean I recall where the refs reviewed a play even after another play was run.

Then he wouldn't have gotten any heat at all other than from his boss for blowing the whistle or maybe even praised.

teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

Screw that guy hes a good ref but he cost alot of people $$$$ on this forum including myself ... Whats his mailing address I need to send him a lil something it will start my healing process.

r2d2
    r2d2's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 488

it was a bad call. get it over it. there are bad calls everygame, alot of which effect the outcome of games. this one was just more obvious because it was near the end of the game. but how many times has a team had a TD called back because of a blown call? that same team ends up losing by 3 or 6 points, and says to themselves, if that TD wasn't called back due to the poor call, we would have won. well, you didn't get over it. and oh yeah, **** THE CHARGERS. that's what the whinney bitch rivers gets for talking smack last sesason. and oh yeah, i am a denver homer

fiveteamer
    Sweet berry wine!!!
    fiveteamer's Avatar Become A Pro!

Did you cash your only win this year because of that call?

RageWizard
    RageWizard's Avatar Become A Pro!

OK people, is Ed gonna be like vince Young and go missing for a day or so. This is football we are talking about here. Ya he missed a call that even Ray Charles can see. I want to know what he is going to do in the future to rectify the situation in his own mind so that it doesn't happen again. Maybe he should stop the roids and start being a little more discrete with his whistle.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Quote Originally Posted by daggerkobe View Post
    He should have made the right call even if he had blown the whistle. I mean I didn't hear any whistle in the replay anyways. I mean I recall where the refs reviewed a play even after another play was run.

Then he wouldn't have gotten any heat at all other than from his boss for blowing the whistle or maybe even praised.
    The problem with that is that Denver players that heard the whistle stopped playing, in effect allowing Chargers to recover "fumble". That is the whole point of tbe ball being dead once whistle blows. He did all that he could do under the rules.

The only thing that he could have done better was NOT blow the whistle, even though he ruled pass incomplete, until someone fell on the ball. If that was the case, Chargers would have been awarded the ball after the review.

teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by r2d2 View Post
    it was a bad call. get it over it. there are bad calls everygame, alot of which effect the outcome of games. this one was just more obvious because it was near the end of the game. but how many times has a team had a TD called back because of a blown call? that same team ends up losing by 3 or 6 points, and says to themselves, if that TD wasn't called back due to the poor call, we would have won. well, you didn't get over it. and oh yeah, **** THE CHARGERS. that's what the whinney bitch rivers gets for talking smack last sesason. and oh yeah, i am a denver homer
    Screw you too i'll get over it when im ready im still pissed about that shit Your QB even said it was a fumble at the post game conf so... once again Screw ed he killed my 4teamer for some serious$$$

RageWizard

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    The problem with that is that Denver players that heard the whistle stopped playing, in effect allowing Chargers to recover "fumble". That is the whole point of tbe ball being dead once whistle blows. He did all that he could do under the rules.

The only thing that he could have done better was NOT blow the whistle, even though he ruled pass incomplete, until someone fell on the ball. If that was the case, Chargers would have been awarded the ball after the review.
    What game where you watching, the ball came out of the Cutler's hand bounced and right before the Chargers dude fell on it, the whistle blew. No one from denver was even within 3 yards of the ball except maybe Cutler, and he was definitely going after the ball.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

What happened to instant replay? I thought it was supposed to make the officiating better. It looks like it made it worse.

daggerkobe

whistle didn't matter cause the only two players who even had a chance to recover the ball kept playing.

He should have just made the right call because no one would've made an issue of it.

gizmo2431
    gizmo2431's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8039

whistle didn't matter cause the only two players who even had a chance to recover the ball kept playing.

He should have just made the right call because no one would've made an issue of it.
    Somehow I think every Denver fan would have made an issue of it then...

Doc JS
    Doc JS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Yes, it was a bad call. No question. But...

It was still third down from the ten yard line. San Diego could have stopped Denver on 3rd and 10 or 4th and five or on the two point converstion and still won the game. And they didn't...

Doc

RageWizard

Quote Originally Posted by Doc JS View Post
    Yes, it was a bad call. No question. But...

It was still third down from the ten yard line. San Diego could have stopped Denver on 3rd and 10 or 4th and five or on the two point converstion and still won the game. And they didn't...

Doc
    Thye choose to stop them on 3rd down, but the refs weren't allowing it. That's all you need to know. I won't even talk about the first quarter effing San Diego got.

roasthawg
    roasthawg's Avatar Become A Pro!

I love the guy. I had Den at +1 and was about ready to break my TV until I heard his explanation of the play. Talk about miracles, that money was gone and then all of a sudden it was back x2!!!

I know the line closed at -1 so hopefully most people that played this game broke even. After all of the games that have gone against me though it was nice to have one gift wrapped and handed to me!

SlappyWhite
    SlappyWhite's Avatar Become A Pro!

I have been watching Ed since I was a kid, the guy is probably the best ref in the NFL, he made a mistake, forgive the guy, the rest of his career is impeccable.

element1286
    element1286's Avatar Become A Pro!

Bad call, move on.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Exactly. The ball was out of reach for all the other players. Comparable to an 'uncatchable pass' ruling. Hochuli, who's a lawyer, should have understood the difference between the letter of the law and the spirit of the law.

San Diego had won the game. But they should be worried that they lost on two straight passes through the middle, after already losing in week 1 on a last second pass through the middle. Terrible.

daggerkobe

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo2431 View Post
    Somehow I think every Denver fan would have made an issue of it then...

What about? That it was the correct call?

frostno98
    frostno98's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 648

f\*\*k the Chargers, they need to stop whining like their aging superstar LT! Human Nature is part of the game. They had 3 shots to stop Denver and they didn't that's why they fvcking lost.

Brady2Moss
    Brady2Moss's Avatar Become A Pro!

I dont understand why the NFL cant be more lenient and just make the RIGHT call, not the call "by the books"

Like that play in Dallas, where Jackson throws the ball behind him before he "crosses the plane" who the hell cares, it was obviously a touchdown, he burned the defense and your going to take a TD away from the guy because of a technicality?

The NFL is screwed up in this way. If Hochuli knew he made a mistake and all the refs knew it why didnt they just give the Chargers possesion of the ball? That would be the RIGHT thing to do, but the RIGHT thing doesnt mean shit in the NFL, its all about going by the book...

McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

Why this guy still has a job, I don't know. Hochuli has been a terrible ref for years now. Ever since he jacked up - his officiating and his crew have been the 2nd worst crew doing games - at best. It always seems like he's botching calls that get me - which is why I notice. I don't feel bad for the guy - he can't do his job very well... I'm not getting any love back for losing out on $$ because of his blunders, he deserves whatever he gets.

Don't make the bad call - fundamentals, Ed, fundamentals.

element1286
    element1286's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by McBa1n View Post
    Why this guy still has a job, I don't know. Hochuli has been a terrible ref for years now. Ever since he jacked up - his officiating and his crew have been the 2nd worst crew doing games - at best. It always seems like he's botching calls that get me - which is why I notice. I don't feel bad for the guy - he can't do his job very well... I'm not getting any love back for losing out on $$ because of his blunders, he deserves whatever he gets.

Don't make the bad call - fundamentals, Ed, fundamentals.
    He is rated as one of the best refs in the league, as he has officiated many high profile games recently.

eidolon
    USA
    eidolon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15766

He is a good ref. But I have to agree with the circumstances. These are there so help dissuade refs from throwing games.

frostno98
    frostno98's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 648

It was a fluke play, and a game that good shouldn't have to end like that when the other didn't do anything to force the turnover.

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9578

It was a blown call but how many games turn on bad pass interference penalties in the end zone or 50-yard penalties that lead to key touchdowns where the refs never get this kind of criticism.

McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

Quote Originally Posted by element1286 View Post
    He is rated as one of the best refs in the league, as he has officiated many high profile games recently.
    True - but if you look into the rating system and 'correct calls' his crew makes - then obviously the rating system is correct!

I am 100% familiar with Mike Perreira and the system they have in place - that doesn't mean he doesn't make massive mistakes - his crew has - as noticed.

When they grade him out, they will grade out the blown call on the fumble in the SD/DEN game - but they will grade UP for getting everything else correct.

The grade they get is based upon 1 blown call (actually 2) versus a slew of perfect calls - so their rating will be quite high.
    1 just happened to cost another team a game - again - it's not the first time.

I wouldn't be so passionate about this if I didn't feel something was incorrect - the rating system is based on every play and getting it 'right' - one blown call won't destroy said rating. I've already written the NFL to find out their rating system to no avail.

If you watch an NFL game, there's 20+ holding calls that get uncalled - that will impact a rating just as much as missing 1 blown 'fumble' call.
    That's all I'm saying. Hochuli's crew may get 95%+ of the calls correct, but it's that 1 or 2 HORRIBLE calls that cost a team a game... It's not like he's blowing holding calls (which every crew does extensively and I'm fine with that) - he's costing teams games - and this is not the first time I've seen it.

**edit**
    forgive me for not citing evidence - It's just in the NFL circles I talk in, no one respects him or his crew. No one goes crazy over the little things - it's always the big things. To myself and those around me know that his crew is the worst or 2nd worst in the NFL right now as far as the 'big' calls go (Mike Carey's team is right there in craptacularness). Just because you 'grade out' well doesn't mean you missed something horribly tragic that cost the game --- seriouly - I wouldn't be shocked to see him working the playoffs. People like him ONLY because they KNOW him. Not many officials are so 'noticeable' PR wise other than Hochuli. That's just common sense tho - I see so many supporting him. I guess if I got big guns I'd be the best capper evar!!! NOT!
    Last edited by McBa1n; 09-18-08 at 04:36 AM.

pico
    USC ml
    pico's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1634

the only way to reduce number of bad calls is to make death threats to officials whenever they made one. that way, the refs will be more careful on the field.

Brady2Moss
    Brady2Moss's Avatar Become A Pro!

I dont see the point of having "referees" in any sport... Just have every possible camera angle and that would solve all our problems...

BigD
    BigD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1863

He is one of best refs in the game. keeping him out of the playoffs would only hurt the NFL

12 Last