success
    success's Avatar Become A Pro!

Jordan vs Kobe

I saw this video on Youtube created by a Jordan fan.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/theblitz.../7/xGbuEjt-KIc

xraygord
    xraygord's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 316

Thanks for posting this.

sparkyasu
    sparkyasu's Avatar Become A Pro!

Jordan got hand-checked on every play. If you hand-check Kobe, he gets to shot free throws. Jordan would average 10-15 points more in this era. Centers also were allowed to camp under the rim during Jordan's time. Jordan won without a great bigman, Kobe hasn't.

It is entirely pointless to compare anyone to Jordan.
    Last edited by sparkyasu; 03-31-11 at 06:42 PM.

Br0nxer
    July 2012 Poster of the Month
    Br0nxer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 888

great video

Kobe only has 115 regular season and playoff combined 40+pt games

that cant be right. has to have more

CanuckG
    CanuckG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 584

what a boring video.

success

I have seen both guys play in different situations. I love Kobe but if Jordan is a 10 (counting total contribution and impact ) then Kobe is at best a 8.5 - basically it's not even close.

Mikail
    Fader of GOY'S
    Mikail's Avatar Become A Pro!

Good video but even the most hardcore Kobe fan would admit he's no Air Jordan.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

If Kobe wins 7 titles then I will say they are dead even

MJ was more explosive

CallMeChip
    Damn good stuff, sir...
    CallMeChip's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

No comment.

success

JJ, If MJ would have had Shack he would not have lost to the Pistons in the finals.

Imagine if you have a choice to face 2 identical teams -only difference is one has MJ and the other has Kobe- both in their prime or close to it. I bet at least 80% of the opposition would rather face Kobe.

CanuckG
    CanuckG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 584

lol shack

crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

lame.

jordan w/o pippen: .430 win %, 0 playoff series victories; 1-9 playoff record; 0 mvp; 0 championships; 0 all defensive teams

kobe w/o shaq: .620 win%; 3 finals; 2 championships; 5 mvps; 5 time all defense; 81pt game

also dont remember jordan scoring 40pts in 9 consecutive games or 50 in 4 straight.

success

crusty. The bottom line is that most -in my opinion 80% - but for sure most NBA teams would rather face a team with Kobe than an identical team with MJ. This should be clear to anyone who has watched both of them play.

sparkyasu

Quote Originally Posted by crustyme View Post
    lame.

jordan w/o pippen: .430 win %, 0 playoff series victories; 1-9 playoff record; 0 mvp; 0 championships; 0 all defensive teams

kobe w/o shaq: .620 win%; 3 finals; 2 championships; 5 mvps; 5 time all defense; 81pt game

also dont remember jordan scoring 40pts in 9 consecutive games or 50 in 4 straight.
    Gasol is the leagues best PF, and Bynum is the second best C when he tries. Jordan would easily have scored 40 in more than 9 consecutive games if he had all the offensive rules Kobe does.

crustyme
    dont i look killer?

jordans team w/o pippen was very beatable. in 5 seasons without pippen he never had 1 winning season.

your video is lame cause comparing rookie seasons for both is quite unfair considering jordan was 21 and kobe was 17 when drafted. jordan started every game while kobe started just 6 games. but by 20 he was an all-star.

success

It's not my video, I just saw it and liked it. You are right about the unfair comparison of Rookie seasons. There are other unfair points. Still statistically MJ DESTROYS Kobe over the course of their entire careers in most areas.

crustyme
    dont i look killer?

gasol is not the best forward.

amare, duncan, griffin, love, boozer and nowitzki are all better.

bynum second best? with his 11ppg? lol. statistically hes not even in top 10.

jonmic
    jonmic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9062

jordan would dominate kobe, end of story

crustyme
    dont i look killer?

kobe dropped 33 on jordan as a 19 year old and 55 in their last meeting, forcing him into permanent retirement. lol

DeeWizzle
    DeeWizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 109

Again?

sparkyasu

gasol is not the best forward.

amare, duncan, griffin, love, boozer and nowitzki are all better.

bynum second best? with his 11ppg? lol. statistically hes not even in top 10.
    you must be a warriors fan, defense doesnt exist in your realm i guess

success

Kobe might match up with MJ one on one, but in best out 7 series with similar talented teams, MJ's team would win most of the time. Just like Kobe's team would beat Lebron most times.

crustyme
    dont i look killer?

maybe, maybe not.

but fact remains that jordan's teams never won anything without pippen while kobe won championships without shaq.

DeeWizzle

jordans team w/o pippen was very beatable. in 5 seasons without pippen he never had 1 winning season.
    It wasn't just Pippen. That season they had a coaching change ( PhiI Jackson ) and added many key pIayers. No one can win a ring aIone.

We saw what happened when Shaq Ieft.

DeeWizzle

maybe, maybe not.

but fact remains that jordan's teams never won anything without pippen while kobe won championships without shaq.
    Yes kobe won a ring without shaq but not untiI he got Pau and Bynum.

crustyme
    dont i look killer?

jordan had far better talent around him than gasol & bynum: oakley, paxson, iceman george gervin, rip hamilton, stackhouse, woolridge (23ppg), dailey (18ppg) and still couldnt win more than 1 playoff game.
    Last edited by crustyme; 03-31-11 at 08:18 PM.

DemoralizdDreamr
    DemoralizdDreamr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 78

Jordan

LineKrusher
    LineKrusher's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 205

Jordan had less talent around him. He made everyone better. Kobe has had much more talent around him. Jordan all the way!!!

The Madcap
    The world meets nobody halfway.
    The Madcap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 460

maybe, maybe not.

Yeah, Kobe won titles without Shaq, with a starting five some argued was one of the best of all time.

No line-up starting Bill Cartwright or Luc Longley would ever get that distinction---save for the fact the 2 guard was a dude by the name of Jordan.

The only team MJ ever had that could compare to one of Kobe's stacked Laker rosters was Jordan's '96 squad and Kobe's unit last year....

BULLS

1 Ron Harper
    2 Jordan
    3 Pippen
    4 Rodman
    5 Longley
    6 Kukoc

LAKERS

1 Derek Fisher
    2 Kobe
    3 Artest
    4 Bynum
    5 Gasol
    6 Odom

Those rosters are practically identical. Even down to Rodman/Artest being volatile mental cases played more for defense than offense. They would be a complete wash, except that Gasol is lightyears better than Longley.

Oh, and it should be pointed out that MJ's Bulls went 72-10 in the regular season with that line-up. The Lakers were 57-25. Plus the Bulls went 15-3 in the playoffs en route to winning the title. The Lakers were 16-7.

Jordan never won championships without Pippen because the best guys on his team before Pippen got there were John Paxon and Dave Corzine. Not exactly Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom.

Besides, Jordan came into the league in the midst of the Lakers/Celtics dynasties with Magic/Bird. He would later run into Isiah's Pistons. When Kobe was hitting his prime there were no other truly great teams established in the league.

The top five greatest NBA players of all time never to win a ring are Elgin Baylor, Karl Malone, John Stockton, Patrick Ewing, and Charles Barkley. Four of those never won a ring precisely because of Michael Jordan. You think Kobe could have stopped those guys from winning a title? Kobe couldn't even stop Richard Hamilton.

Tim Duncan is considered by many to be the greatest power forward all-time. It used to be Karl Malone. The only difference is Malone had to play against MJ, and Duncan got Kobe. The guy who faced MJ has 0 titles. The guy who faced Kobe has 4.

And you can't even really compare the teams Kobe faced in the finals to the Stockton/Malone Jazz or the Kemp/Payton Sonics or Barkley's Suns. Those teams averaged 63 wins a season.

In the history of the NBA, 40 total teams have won 62 games or more in a season.

Wilt Chamberlain had 3 of them.
    Bird's Celtics had 5 of them.
    Magic's Lakers had 5 of them.
    Jordan's Bulls had 4. (And 3 of the top 8 highest win totals ever.)

Kobe's Lakers? 2.

The same number as those two Jazz teams Jordan's Bulls beat in the Finals.

Jordan has better numbers and had stiffer comp. And let's not forget the time off after his father was murdered. Had that not happened, who knows. Jordan might have won 10 titles in a row.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: politicin, and UntilTheNDofTimE

sparkyasu

If gasol/bynum aren't good crusty, how come kobe couldnt win a playoff series without them?

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110
    Bill Dozer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21705

When Jordan played you always had the feeling he was going to will his team to the win...even with the Wiz when he rarely did. I watched Kobe quit with Shaq, Malone and GP against the Pistons. Kobe is the better physical athlete but so might have been Harold Miner and JR Rider.

rem sleep
    rem sleep's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18705

Kobe needs at least 6 to be in the discussion. Remember that MJ retired once in his prime and also retired a could of years earlier than he could've.

The Madcap

maybe, maybe not.

Yeah, and that's about as dumb a point as me saying "Duncan won 3 titles without David Robinson, while Bird never won one without McHale, which means Duncan was better."

Get a grip man. Your Kobedermis is showing.

The Madcap

jordan had far better talent around him than gasol & bynum: oakley, paxson, iceman george gervin, rip hamilton, stackhouse, woolridge (23ppg), dailey (18ppg) and still couldnt win more than 1 playoff game.
    GEORGE GERVIN?

You fukking idiot.

Just stop now.

crustyme
    dont i look killer?

if bird played without mchale for 5 seasons and never recorded a winning season, wouldnt that tarnish his legacy?

your analogy is faulty because both jordan and kobe got a chance to show what they are made of without their "sidekicks." and while kobe won championships , jordan won 1 playoff game.

1234 Last