donnyguru
    Rust Never Sleeps
    donnyguru's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8759

Dicky V: The pre-tourney rant

I remember watching this live and thinking, why all the passion about who is selected to play in play-in games that didn't even exist last year? The rest is history in the making, loving seeing Dookie V get served.

http://dc.sbnation.com/2011/3/14/204...1-vcu-colorado

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

classic!!!!!

Ace_of_Spades
    Golazo De Riverrrr!
    Ace_of_Spades's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

I don't know if its me, but i find it quite difficult to listen to this guy.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 396

Add this rant to the other ones. Vitale should take advice from some of the gamblers here. When you dig yourself into a hole, don't chase after it.

cmoney17
    cmoney17's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 72

What a jackass

WeinketoWarrick
    Update your status
    WeinketoWarrick's Avatar Become A Pro!

just a crazy old man

pozzy
    pozzy's Avatar Become A Pro!

Does anybody else hate Dicky V? I find him EXTREMELY annoying..

Dank_Fire
    Dank_Fire's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5453

Jay Bilas buried VCU even worse. I remember we was like does the selection committiee even know the ball is round. I wonder what Jay has to say now.

pacocn
    pacocn's Avatar Become A Pro!

jay has not broached the subject again

BiffTFinancial
    BiffTFinancial's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5368

Vitale is a complete clown. a better story than VCU advancing in the tourney is that i haven't heard Vitale speak since the first weekend. talk about an upset....

Bilas is good, i was surprised to hear him all over the selection committee. Colorado, Va Tech, UAB, VCU, USC, Clemson, none of them "deserved" to be there. 68 teams requires allowing some mediocre ones in, and i always think it's funny to hear people waste three days arguing over where to draw the line amongst those mediocre teams. i'm a Bilas fan, but those first three days, he sounded like every other rube in the country with a Colorado or Va Tech bullhorn. the selection process isn't perfect, but the drama after the fact is embarrassing. in fact, anyone who spends that much time discussing what's "right" vs what's "wrong" in sports is just boring. sounds like a bunch of chicks.

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think they had a point at the time, I also think it may have served as fuel for VCU for this run.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Vitale is a clown/

If this is news to you, then let me tell you about how the sky is blue.....

thunderingherd23
    thunderingherd23's Avatar Become A Pro!

Dickie V is the man! his enthusiasm...it's awesome baby!

jmush
    jmush's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1920

so what if they made it to final four... all he was saying that based on their record and performance they didnt deserve to get in.. people are making to much of this

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

wonder how much of vitale's bracket is left

these analysts know nothing more than the general public (in fact they usually know less because they are all mimics of each other) - i rememeber hearing over and over that this year all the #1s and #2s would be quite a bit better than the rest of the field because of how top loaded the ncaa was this year.

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

Quote Originally Posted by jmush View Post
    so what if they made it to final four... all he was saying that based on their record and performance they didnt deserve to get in.. people are making to much of this
    he was saying based on their CONFERENCE they didn't deserve to get in.
    big difference.
    this vcu team had a great year, going 12-6 in a decent conference and is now 28-11 overall.

vcu's rpi was 48 versus 65 for colorado and 61 for virginia tech.
    so the computer, who doesn't look at the names on the jerseys, thought vcu was much better than either of those teams vitale wanted in.

zephyr
    zephyr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 581

Dick has become a bit of a caricature of himself. He knows basketball pretty well. But his shtick got a little old by about 1990. I prefer more information and less clownish entertainment.

Foggy
    Foggy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

Fcuk Dukie V

zephyr
    zephyr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 581

A lot of people don't realize that Dick Vitale was partly responsible for building the Boston Celtics dynasty. Here's how it happened (from Wikipedia):

Vitale coached the Detroit Pistons for the 1978-79 season, leading them to a 30-52 (.366) record. On Nov. 8, 1979, Pistons owner Bill Davidson came to Vitale's house and told him that the Pistons were making a coaching change. It was twelve games into 1979-80 season, after the Pistons struggled to a 4-8 start. The primary reason for Vitale's downfall with the Pistons was the maneuver that brought Bob McAdoo to Detroit. M.L. Carr's decision to sign with Boston as a free agent in 1979 spawned a transaction in which the Pistons, entitled to compensation for Carr, demanded Bob McAdoo, who the Celtics were looking to unload due to injuries. The Celtics took two 1980 first-round draft picks (in addition to Carr) from the Pistons in exchange for McAdoo in a combination free agent signing/trade. One became the first overall pick in the 1980 draft. Boston would trade that pick plus the #13 pick to the Warriors in exchange for Robert Parish and the #3 pick Kevin McHale.

stealthyburrito
    Alien Robot Sex Party
    stealthyburrito's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11953

love it when dukie V buries himself with his idiotic comments

thebestthereis
    thebestthereis's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8056

nobody posted this before vcu had the play-in game, they just nodded their head like most people (i would have done the same without the rant). the 3-point shot allows this to happen every year, the great equalizer. ucla would not have won 100 titles when john wooden and his great centers were around if they had the 3 point shot, guaranteed. if you shoot 44% (vcu) in your tourney games you beat almost anyone no matter what else happens.