Quote Originally Posted by tunaguitar76 View Post
I understand and agree with 99.4% of what you are saying. I am just suggesting the "pro" program is more about SBR and their business than it is actually about determining how serious a person is.. as it is marketed. It is good for SBR and they have provided plenty of incentives for us to join. I agree if a person is logging in everyday and plans to do something with the points, it makes no sense to not become member. I'm just not sure it's going to sway my opinion on a post all that much... if it says... "cowboys a lock to win by 54"... the whole "pro status" is not going to matter to most people either way. Sure, but that is not how this program works. I agree, I am and have been a paid member to other more specific non gambling sites as well. Like you said, you generally get people who are serious about capping or are just extremely involved in the sport with no gambling interest. Again though, I feel these things can usually be determined by the actual post or post history than the word "pro" next to their name. LB and Paco are perfect examples... when the NBA rolls around... I could care less what the pro status of LB is.. I have seen enough.. I'm aware of his status. I'm sure you realize if SBR wanted to become a "pro" type member website, you just made a pretty good case for SBR to do away with the points system all together. Like I said though, the number of people in just the US willing to deposit at least $200 during the NFL season is staggering... there is just too much money to be made. I seriously doubt they randomly picked this time of year to determine who is "serious" or not. Hey, this is good for SBR and good for the users... but if it was really about people being "pro's" the system would be completely different is all I am saying.
And I agree 100% with what you're saying!

SBR is a business and I'm definitely not naive enough to believe that they're concerned if little old Shari uses this new system for anything other than being another number to deposit at a sponsored book. But I always like to see how things will positively affect how I go about things and I feel this system will provide some advantages to me personally beyond just doubled points and access to Pro only promotions. Maybe the potential advantages I perceive now will end up being a bust and amount to nothing but I'm still going to give it a try. And I would find it hard-pressed to believe that at least a few other people won't take a look at someone's 'status' when they're reading a post from someone they're not acquainted with already and make some sort of quick determination based on that. It's human nature and in fact is a popular topic in psych classes.

And as John stated last week, there are no plans within the next 5 years to become a paid site so there's no concern of that happening.

I guess I just don't understand all the bitching and uproar. SBR wasn't founded as a points site nor under the premise of giving free stuff away just because we deem the forum worthy enough to grace with our presence. And it's not like anyone is being forced to participate in the Pro Program in order to prevent their privileges being restricted. Those who can fund $200 in a book will be rewarded at a different level than those who can't or choose not to participate. Even if you are perfectly content with the books you currently use for gambling and see no need for a new one, if you utilise the points system already then I see it as a positive addition. Just fund the $200, bet what you would normally bet anyway and cash out once you've rolled over the $200 if you want nothing more to do with the book. Hell, they've even made it easier by saying you can work your way up to the $200 through earnings. Deposit the minimum book requirement and try to grind your way there if you'd rather do it that way.

I must admit though, I have already found just the introduction of the program alone somewhat useful by seeing the people who are bitching about it at all. Not bothering to participate is one thing, but acting like you're being robbed of something that was never yours in the first place is something else altogether. So in that aspect alone I could say it's already provided me with some value and I'm not even a Pro yet.