Originally posted on 10/07/2022:

^
Also a true story.

When I was in my early 20's I worked for Buzzy in the 'office' on the busy football weekends answering phones when he needed a little extra help, and I did a lot of his grunt work as well.
He would also kick back to me ten percent of all the net losses from clients that I individually brought in to him.
Which was very generous.

I was his liaison too, when he had to pay a client or collect and the customer couldn't make it to the vendor of charisma where Buzzy conducted business on Tuesday evenings, I would be the one who delivered for him or collected.

Like I mentioned in the previous post, Buzzy took a liking to me, he trusted me.
The guy taught me the ins and outs of this business, information you'll never find in a reference or text book.

Any who, before I get too long winded here (or is it too late for that) he also booked my action.
This had to be the late winter of 2002 I think, I was betting NCAA hoops though him and for a two week period I went on a heater from heaven, a heater one dreams about.

I hit it was either 12 or 14 straight, I think it was 14 consecutive hoops wagers.
Dude, it was scary.
After around eight straight Buzzy was actually tailing my plays.
Now that's the ultimate compliment, when a large indie bookie tails your wagers.

This is how the streak snapped.
And I'll never forget it.

Illinois State was playing Indiana State, and the game was on a neutral court in Chicago, off campus.
I sent it in on Ill. State, like -4.5 I think, and Buzz tailed that play as well.

The Sycamores covered and won outright in a closely played game.
Buzz owed me like 1600 I think, give or take, I come to the office, he pays me off.
Then he says to me "Why Illinois State Billy"?
I explain "I'm so sorry Buzz, I capped that game thinking the game was on Illinois State's campus gym.
I failed to notice that the game was in the big arena in Chicago on a neutral court.
I f ucked up, I had a brain fart"

What's Buzzy do?
He peels off five more benji's from his roll, hands them to me, and says...
"No worries kid, it happens, and thanks"

They don't make them like Buzzy and "The Barber" anymore, huh?
Offshore internet wagering kind of ended that era of the old timer bookies.
How old time was Buzzy?
When he first started out taking bets he did from the grandstand behind the right field foul pole at Fenway Park.

True story, only the names were changed to protect the innocent.

Best of luck on your action today, thanks for conjuring up twenty year memories.
Glad to share them with you.