Originally posted on 03/03/2019:

Fans can own a piece of NBA history thanks to Lakers legend Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. The basketball great is auctioning off hundreds of pieces of memorabilia and including four NBA championship rings.

Much of the proceeds will go to his Skyhook Foundation, which brings STEM educational opportunities – science, technology, engineering and math -- to underserved communities.

"When it comes to choosing between storing a championship ring or trophy in a room, or providing kids with an opportunity to change their lives, the choice is pretty simple. Sell it all," Abdul-Jabbar wrote on his blog.

"Looking back on what I have done with my life, instead of gazing at the sparkle of jewels or gold plating celebrating something I did a long time ago, I'd rather look into the delighted face of a child holding their first caterpillar and think about what I might be doing for their future," he added.

The basketball great teamed up with Goldin Auctions to help sell off the memorabilia, some of which has minimum bids set at tens of thousands of dollars.

How many NBA championship rings does Kareem Abdul-Jabbar have? A whopping six -- and four are now up for auction. In addition to those historic rings, Abdul-Jabbar's 1985 All-Star ring, a 1989 used and signed basketball and an MVP trophy are among the highly-coveted items receiving bids well over the prices listed as minimum bids.