Originally posted on 11/12/2018:

H4 D17

Journal entry by Mindy McBride — 14 hours ago
This week we celebrate the little things. Andy was able to use a machine/device to help him feed himself. The device helps remove the weight off of his shoulders and he then can activate his arm/muscles at the elbow (see below). It was a lot of work AND he was able to scoop some food and feed himself five bites!

Molly, Andy's little sister had the opportunity to meet Chad Greenway and he signed Andy's jersey and sported his very own #TeamAndy bracelet. Spreading awareness is key! Also after nearly 3 months Andy allowed someone to touch his hair! Well needless to say the aide nor I have a beauty license and the medical tape scissors don't cut all that well... his hair is shorter!

This week I took the opportunity to tour five transitional care units/facilities (TCU/ TCR) and I found some that could work. I begin to ask myself if he will be ready in two weeks to transition. Andy has made great gains in two weeks and a lot can happen in another two (choosing my attitude). Andy and I fear having less therapy and still continuing to make gains. As many of you know most people in TCUs are there for a broken hip or a knee replacement, Andy's needs are much more complex. I want to make sure his needs are getting met and I will continue to advocate for what is best for him.

At our care conference on Wednesday they moved the transition date from the 16th to after Thanksgiving (Friday or Saturday). Knowing that he won't be home for Thanksgiving has been another challenge that lies in my heart. His current date for making the transition to a TCU also aligns with the 3 month mark that he left our home for Vegas. As you can imagine the emotions are high as we look ahead at the journey without an unknown outcome. During the care conference we discussed how this could be a year until he walks again, getting him fitted for a wheelchair and modifying our home. I am beginning to gain resources as we make decisions and if you have any great information, please reach out!

#TeamAndy, thank you for all you do! We are lucky to call you friends.

Be Blessed,
Mindy