Originally posted on 04/30/2018:

Start with the rhetorical one. Do we do better economically under D or R. It's mind numbing to bend facts for both sides. Carter was destroying the country in the late 70's. Raising taxes, cutting the military, experimenting with price freezes and the country ended up with 18% interest rates, 11% inflation and 10% unemployment and getting worse everyday. Reagan is elected and worked with a democrat controlled house & senate to slash taxes, gut regulation and the rest is history(sound familiar btw?). The next two presidents benefited from the ground work laid out in the 80's.

The point above is Reagan's numbers are scarred from taking over in a depression. The next couple of presidents just had to show up and their numbers are great....hence, let's skip the rhetorical debate.

I made the Lotto comment because it is about as insignificant as marijuana. Let's talk big accomplishments not these minor ones. I'm a bit of a secular guy. Don't want you to HAVE to live by my values and I don't want to adhere to yours...generally speaking.

Maybe we will save liberal economics for another day. I tend to lead you there and you tend to lead me away.

I'll close with a discussion I had with a PhD liberal during the tax debate. She was against the repatriation of foreign earned profits if it was, as proposed, at a tax rate of 8%. She claimed only 15% of the repatriated money would actually be used to build plants, modernize equipment, hire staff, ect. The rest would go to cash reserves, dividends, buybacks, ect.

My argument was anything was better than nothing and 15% is a Lot better than 0%. We get no benefit when we force Intel to build a plant in Mexico because that's where their money is stuck.

Her tell-tale final comment was those at the top would benefit the most so for that reason she was against it. And that's really what separates us. Liberals have contempt for the top. They are willing to hurt the country to avoid those at the top from doing any better. They pay lip service to the working class. That particular tax reform absolutely will create jobs here, absolutely will help our economy but because those at the top will benefit as well? Against. That's our Grand Canyon that we converse across now.