Originally posted on 04/23/2018:

I'm one of Dave Malinsky's many friends, and I want to assure you that he was every bit the class act he appeared to be. He was the most naturally elegant man I've ever met, even if he displayed it while eating an al pastor taco. I never saw him ruffled. I never saw him angry. He was a stress-free friend, never carrying an agenda. He was ever gentle and best of all, enthusiastic about so many things. He may have been called The Professor, but he was a perennial student, always wanting to learn more about sports, about nature, about philosophy and psychology.

Over the past ten years, his heart and soul were increasingly with the bristlecone pine trees that he was studying and photographing, but that doesn't mean he wasn't committed to his work here. He was proud of his work at SBR, and he was proud of you. Given the contentiousness of many of the threads here, it mattered a lot to him that there were few times that moderation was necessary, and he hoped to foster a space where sports bettors could talk seriously about sports without taking themselves too seriously, and where disagreement didn't lead to serious hostility.

I'm sorry that more of you didn't get to know David in person, but what you saw here is very much the man he was in the real world. He treated everyone with respect. It was hard to go to a restaurant without him being on a first-named basis with a waiter, a chef, a bus boy, a hostess. Everyone loved Dave because he shared so much of himself.