Originally posted on 02/16/2018:

Quote Originally Posted by Mac4Lyfe View Post
My roommate NEVER took a drug a day in his life. He never drank alcohol either. He had a mental imbalance only controlled with meds.

I had strep throat about 8 years ago and it turned into sepsis as the infection spreaded because I didn't take antibiotics. I had a fever of 106 degrees for 3 days. I finally went to the doctor and he immediately called the ambulance. I started losing bodily functions in the ambulance. My lungs gave out. I couldn't breathe. They had me hooked up to so many machines, ventilator and pumped some of the hardest antibiotics known. The medicine was so lethal that it left bruises on my arm. Had I not gone into the doctor that day, I would have died. I was in the hospital for over a week. I was touch and go the first few days. I finally came around by the 4th day but I was constantly hallucinating. It was the weirdest thing. I'd close my eyes and I was seeing crazy stuff. Birds flying in the room, me hanging out of a window, traveling to exotic places, sitting behind home plate at a Met's game (I'm not even a Met's fan). It was so vivid, with color that I could swear I was there. It was so bad that I didn't know if I was sleeping or awake. I told the doctor and he said most likely I fried some brain cells/nerves when my fever was so high for so long. I was scared to death that I wouldn't be able to stop hallucinating. This went on for about 3 days. It was driving me crazy. I was certifiably insane. I was losing my mind, not knowing what was real and what was not. Fortunately, I came to my senses but I experienced what it was like to be delusional. That is a very bad place.

wow, I recently had an almost exact situation. I became violently ill with a gallbladder attack, rushed to the hospital via ambulance and my heart spiked and that is the last thing I remember. Woke up four days later and was told I had sepsis and one more hour I would have been dead. Pumped up for 10 days with antibiotics and it was touch and go. During this time period I was positive that one nurse was attempting to kill me and that chickens and other animals were running around my room. I also thought that I was home and my son must have sold my house to the hospital. I too was very scared.

I was too frightened to even tell anybody about these thoughts except my son, he just kept reassuring me that I was just a little confused and things would be fine. Later an actual psychiatrist came to see me and I convinced him that all was well. I later was informed that often people who are very ill often fall into what they call hospital psychosis.

Your life can change in a split second. One minute you are fine and the next minute you are critical, we sometimes forget that. I will tell you this I never want to experience that again.