Originally posted on 12/07/2017:

Quote Originally Posted by DoggyJuice View Post
Dave,

Fantastic work as always. Your stories from Latin America in the podcast with Matt are incredibly fascinating. I know that I'm not alone in saying that you really do need to write a book! My younger sister currently lives and works in Medellín - she has nothing but great things to say about the wonderful people there. It is a real shame how negatively some Americans perceive that region of the world.

Your take on the SCOTUS case also touched on the very point that few are talking about regarding all of the potential hands that will want a "scoop" from the cookie jar. That case has been and will continue to be a very interesting follow due to the impact that the decision will have on a variety of other issues. For those that are interested in the subject, here is a read from the front lines on Monday:

http://www.scotusblog.com/2017/12/ar...ports-betting/

Also, audio of oral arguments are typically available to listen to on the Supreme Court's website within a week after they take place.
I have such fond memories of Medellin, the "City of the Eternal Spring", and the beauty both of that valley and the surrounding mountains. The race track mentioned on the show would make for some great story telling - it was "up over the hill", into what was a boundary-less area back when FARC was at the height of power, but one of the key gentlemen behind the track was a prominent horse owner that was also on the negotiating team between FARC and the Colombian government, which made it an unofficially "protected" area. They ran races on Thursday nights and Saturday afternoons, and those Saturdays brought so much charm - much like a County Fairgrounds racing meet. There were vendors with food carts, far more families with children than we would see at a U.S. track, and the opportunity to experience Colombian culture in a way that is rarely presented here in the United States. Sadly it is no longer in operation.

Because of the spirit of the people, and the inspirations from the dramatic landscape, the contributions to literature (Marquez), art (Botero) and theatre (Buenaventura) have been substantial. And to properly understand Medellin, and the year-round spring of that valley, around 65% of all cut flowers sold in the United States each day come from Colombia, and most of them from that particular region. It is a special place, and I miss it, hopefully with the opportunity to return some day.