Originally posted on 10/31/2017:

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
Nolan Ryan 7 postseason starts. 2-2

Disaster in 80

Randy Johnson 16 postseason starts 7-9
3.50 era. 97 99 02 06. Disasters.

CK. GOAT and post season not that bad overall.

For comparison, best pitcher of 80s, Jack Morris- should be HOF, 13 post season starts, 8-4 included the greatest game ever, 91 game 7...10 inning shut out. In that game Tom Kelly went to the mound in the 8th to pull him for Steve Bedrosian. Morris told him to go Fukk himself. Kelly went back to the dugout....

....today players get suspended for making eye gestures or tweeting stuff. Just a different game, but Kershaws body of work-related even the post season, stands up to the greats.
Let’s put aside that epic World Series game Jack Morris threw and let’s look at the entire body of work.
He wasn’t 8-4, he was 7-4. His post season ERA was not good, 3.80.
His post season WH/IP was pedestrian, 1.24
You like the word disaster, what was a disaster was Morris’s post seasons with Toronto.
Here’s my list of pitchers with just as good post seasons as Morris.
Glavine, Smoltz, Pedro, Clemens, Randy Johnson, El Duque, Beckett, Pettitte, Hershiser, Schilling, Cliff Lee, and I can make a case for Mike Mussina.

Stop putting such an emphasis on wins.
Phil Hughes won 18 games once, he had a run support of 6.5 per start.
Ray Charles can win 18 games given 6 1/2 runs every start.

Jack Morris was a very good pitcher, but he was a compiler.
That’s not a bad thing, just in the 1980’s he made every start for 8 consecutive seasons, so you’re going to compile stats. And the only thing he led in the league was wins just once in 1981, and strikeouts in 1983.
He did not dominate his position, wins leader once and K leader once is not getting you in the Hall.
Neither is leading the league in Wild Pitches 6 times getting you into the Hall. Sorry with all those starts, league leader once in wins, and K’s is not Hall of Fame numbers.

Jack Morris was not the best pitcher of the 80’s.
i couldn’t stomach Doc Golden, but Morris was not Doc
Carlton won two Cy Young’s in the 80’s
Orel Hershiser was better, Clemens was clearly better, hell I can make a case for Saberhagen and if you look at it Dave Steib was just as good.